Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sundog316
    • Jan 2006

DVDs Burning Slow

Hi all, long time reader, first time poster here.

Having some problems with my dvds burning really slow. So heres the deal, the computer has 2 burners in it and burns slow when burning using the multiple recorders option on Alcohol 120.

Both drives as well as my hard drive are running in Ultra-DMA mode and when i burn the memory buffer is at 100%. Yet when its supposed to burn at 4x it burns at about 1.9x.

If I record onto a single drive, the write process works at normal speeds.

I was able to burn using multiple recorders before, so my system is up to the task.

So far, I have tried enabling DMA, reinstalling IDE's, formatting and starting fresh and defragging the hard drive. I'm suspecting that the hard drive is going bad, but i dont want to shell out cash for a new one and have it be something else. Has anyone faced this problem before or have ideas on what to try next?

Thanks in advance.
  • techreactor
    Banned
    • Jul 2005

did you change your media recently ???
    are you using a good media to burn ???

Comment

• Sundog316
      • Jan 2006

the media has not changed, same media as before, from the same spindle. Burning it as a single works fine with that media.

Using ritekg05's. not the greatest media, but ive had no troubles with it. Im quite sure its not the media since it burns fine when selecting just one recorder, also worked fine in the past.

Comment

• blutach
        Not a god of digital video
        • Oct 2004

Ritek G05 are known problematic disks. Very variable in quality. I'd lay good money that it is the media.

Read and implement the Golden Rules of Burning.

Regards
        Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
        [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• techreactor
          Banned
          • Jul 2005

Originally Posted by blutach
          I'd lay good money that it is the media.
          as the DV god has spoken, not much to say here

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

The G05's, beside being inconsistent within a spindle have one of the fastest
            degradation problems, they are probably going bad before being burned.

But since one burner works, I would suspect one of your burners is dirty.
            Somethings slowing down their sychronization. You never specified how the drives are connected. Mine are all standalone masters. Do single burns
            work at the right speed on both drives?

Comment

• Sundog316
              • Jan 2006

i knew i was forgetting something hehe. one is a master and the other is slave.

individual burns work fine on both drives.

Comment

• Chewy
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2003

try a better media, my cof @ 16x was with verbatim
                do a transfer test with cdspeed if your burner doesn't support disk quality
                scans, if the media is crappy then the burners could be slowing down each other trying to get 2 good burns

time for another test, dual burns at 16x, naw, 8x will be fast enough

Comment

• Sundog316
                  • Jan 2006

k i'll give that a shot. i just dont see why it would work fine for so many months using the same media and then just crap out on every dual burn now.

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

your drives may be getting worn out or dirty, that media is gonna
                    develope severe playability problems, I just replaced all my G05 burns.

Comment

• Sundog316
                      • Jan 2006

hmmm, time to stock up on the TY i guess
                      i gotta buy some different media tomoro and hopefully thats all thats wrong but i dont see it being the case

Comment

• Chewy
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2003

Never dual burned with alcohol, might something be causing a conflict
                        that you added before and after the clean install. Now nero 6 and ImgBurn
                        get along well on my system. Does alcohol use the worn out aspi layer?

My newer version of nero did take a little longer at 8x with unmatched burners
                        and my soso ritek R04 media. 10 min 23 sec
                        Last edited by Chewy; 15 Jan 2006, 10:47 PM.

Comment

• Sundog316
                          • Jan 2006

nope. never added anything to that computer, i dont install anything on it and it doesnt even have internet.

Comment

• Chewy
                            Super Moderator
                            • Nov 2003

my newer nero does slow down dual burns, maybe a failsafe

Comment

• Sundog316
                              • Jan 2006

hmmmm...i tried using another pair of dvd writers that i borrowed off someone and im getting a write error on both drives... [Write Error] LBA:0, Length: 16

whats that?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎