Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LongSnapper
    • Jan 2006

Changing the Booktype/Bitsetting issue

I just swapted out burners and the one I will mainly be using has the bitsetting capability. However, when changing the booktype in DVDD, non of the tabs show SONY (DRU-710A) which I know uses the Lite-On OEM. Lite-On is one of the tabbed options , and is the only one that allows me to change the booktype seeting from DVD+r to DVD-Rom (so I'm assuming this is the tab for my Sony drive). My problem is it will not keep/save the setting and when I put a blank DVD in the drive the booktype is still set at DVD+R. Is there another place for me to change the bitsetting or to verify that booktype has changed? Thanks
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

Is there another place for me to change the bitsetting or to verify that booktype has changed?
    the info tool in nero or imgburn,
    try discovery with dvdd

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
    Disc ID: YUDEN000-T02-00
    Book Type: DVD-ROM

Comment

• Chewy
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2003

if the bitsett's not working then your sony needs a braintransplant,
      with a liteon firmware

Comment

• LongSnapper
        • Jan 2006

How do I know which liteon fireware patch I need?

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

SOHW-1633S (16x+R, 4x+RW, 2.4x+R9, 8x-R, 4x-RW)
          LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S Firmwares: rpc1.org, official, dhc014, codeguys
          DVDRW DRW-3S163 Firmwares: rpc1.org, official
          SONY DVD RW DRU-710A Firmwares: rpc1.org, official, dhc014, codeguys

Comment

• LongSnapper
            • Jan 2006

Sony DRU-710A (rebadged LiteOn SOHW-1633S/1653S)
            BY01/BY02/BY03 - stock (old)
            BYX2/BYX3 - stock (4x +R DL and 12x -R) (old)
            BYX4 - stock (4x +R DL and 12x -R) (old)
            BYX5 - stock (4x +R DL and 12x -R)
            BYX5 - patched - crossflashing, multi-colored LED (for 1213S, 1613S, 1653S, etc.)

I already have the Byx5 firmware patch, do you think I need the
            BYX5 - patched - crossflashing, multi-colored LED ?
            and should that fix my bitsetting problem?

Comment

• Chewy
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2003

nope, you turned left when you should have gone right

Flashing within the same drive type: Firmwares can be exchanged with other drives of the same type (defined here as a group consisting of a particular model and its rebadges) without the need for any firmware modifications or special crossflashing procedures

Comment

• LongSnapper
                • Jan 2006

So firmware patch BSOY is what I need and not BYX5? Thanks for your help Chewy.

Comment

• Chewy
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2003

Yes. May the force be with you, the flash force that is!

Then there's a whole lot of liteon tools!

Comment

• LongSnapper
                    • Jan 2006

Other liteon tools?

Comment

• geno888
                      Digital Video Master
                      Digital Video Master
                      • Dec 2005

Maybe I'm wrong, but retaining of booktype settings should be also hardware related, not only firmware.

If I'm not wrong, only starting from 1693 model liteon drives retain booktype settings in eeprom.

Comment

• LongSnapper
                        • Jan 2006

Geno888 can you explain?

Comment

• geno888
                          Digital Video Master
                          Digital Video Master
                          • Dec 2005

Remembering booktype settings is an information stored in eeprom of the burner. If I'm not wrong, not all liteon (and their sony equivalents) models are able to remember booktype after a reboot.

If your burner don't have this "new" eeprom, then your burner can't remember settings, and you must change it anytime after a computer reboot.

Comment

• Chewy
                            Super Moderator
                            • Nov 2003

Q: [DVD-Writers] How do I use bitsetting (change the booktype) with LiteOn drives?
                            A: With a few exceptions (e.g., the SOHW-802S and the SOHW-822S), bitsetting on LiteOn drives and rebadged LiteOn drives work like this:

There is a setting stored in the drive's memory that tells the drive what booktype to use whenever it burns a disc.

By default, this setting is set to "Normal" (i.e., keep +R discs as +R and +RW discs as +RW).

The official LiteOn BookType Utility can be used to change this setting. Because all burns will be burned using the current setting, once you change the setting, all subsequent burns will be burned using the new setting without the need to take any further action.

On the screen of this tool, "Current Disc Type" represents the physical disc type of the inserted disc. "Current Disc Booktype" represents the current booktype written on the disc, or if the disc is not written, it will display the current physical disc type. Hint: You can use this to check the booktype of a burned disc. "Change booktype to" is a bit misleading, and it represents the current booktype setting of the drive. Selecting a different setting from the drop-down and clicking "Change" is what changes the current drive setting. Remember, as mentioned above, the current drive setting simply represents what booktype will be used the next time a disc is burned. The "Write Now" button is only for DVD+RW media and is explained in a later bullet.

There is, however, one important caveat. For a number of the older drives/firmwares, this setting is stored in volatile memory and is lost whenever the drive is reset (system reboot, firmware flash, etc.). Thus, when the drive is reset, the booktype setting will revert to the default setting (i.e., "Normal").

For people who want all of their discs to be booktyped, this causes a problem because they will need to remember to change the setting every time the drive resets.

OmniPatcher's auto-bitsetting patch changes this default setting from "Normal" to "DVD-ROM" so that when a drive is reset, the setting will revert to "DVD-ROM" instead of to "Normal." Since auto-bitsetting only changes the default setting that the drive reverts to after a reset, it is still possible to use the LiteOn BookType Utility to change the settings around on a drive with a patched auto-bitsetting firmware.

For the newer firmwares (CS07 or newer, BS0R or newer, and BS41 or newer, to name just a few) that use non-volatile memory (i.e., the EEPROM) to store the setting, the booktype setting is not lost after a reset, and as such, it does not make any sense to have a patch that changes the default revert-to-after-reset setting, and the auto-bitsetting patch is thus not available for these newer firmwares. For these newer firmwares, just set the booktype once using the official utility and forget about it, even after reboots.

Because changing the booktype involves writing data to a disc, it is not possible to change the booktype of a recordable disc after it has been burned. For rewritable media, however, it is possible to change the booktype of burned media by using the LiteOn BookType Utility's "Write Now" button, if your firmware is new enough to support this feature.

Comment

• geno888
                              Digital Video Master
                              Digital Video Master
                              • Dec 2005

Thanks Chewy

I wasn't updated on this issue

Comment

Working...