Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • andyg
    • Apr 2002

TMPGEnc is really doing my head in!

Can someone please help me with TMPGEnc? I spend 10 hours+ converting AVI to MPEG to find that the MPEG is useless! It is either jerky or contains purple-ish haze that appears for a few frames and then disappears. What settings do people use? Do I need different settings for converting NTSC and MPEG and what about framerates such as 20fps? Help!
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Have you bothered to read my response to both your similar original posting and the duplicate posting listed just below this one?

Comment

• andyg
      • Apr 2002

Yes Setarip, I did read your last two posts but neither solved the problem that I am having. This is what I am trying to encode:

Video resolution/No of frames per second: 352x176, 20fps
      No of frames (total): 72011
      Compression: Microsoft MPEG 4 video codec V3
      Key frames: 736

Audio: 48000Hz
      Channels: 2
      Sample precision: 0 bit
      Compression: fraunhofer IIs MPEG Layer-3 codec

I load TMPGEnc, set the system tab to MPEG1-VideoCD, then load my video. It tells me that there is 60fps under the video tab so I change this to either 24fps or 30fps like you said.

I then change audio to compliant 44,100HZ and set resolution to 352x240 (NTSC) or 352x288 (PAL) under both video and advanced.

I then click encode. Everything seems fine for a few seconds and then the purple blocks/purple haze appears.

If this makes any sense, the haze appears even when I only preview in TMPGEnc and also when I try to convert to an uncompressed AVI using virtual dub. BUT, the AVI file plays okay in Windows Media player! To make matters worse, I can encode DivX files okay which I don't really understand since I am told that DivX is really just another type of AVI compression. Could this be anything to do with codecs?

HELP!

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"352x176"

Your getting the purple color (and probably some "blocks") due to the (required) increase of the vertical resolution from 176 to 240...

Comment

• andyg
          • Apr 2002

But have even tried converting to a 352x176 mpeg which should in theory not need any resize and the purple blocks/haze are still present. Have also tried 352x240 AVI's and they have purple blocks too. Any other ideas?

Comment

• Batman
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Jan 2002

Visit vcd-help.com

Try to increase the AFW compatibility header
            select "soften block noise"
            raise the quality
            perhaps this has something to do with interlacing/de-interlacing.

Just suggestions...

Comment

• chelly
              • Mar 2002

ok i had this prob just keep your 3.11 alpha codec in and your smr patch go to vcdhelp.com and click on tools left hand side and dwnload tlbro template for tmpg its ok and all will be fine well it was for me hope this helps.

Comment

• andyg
                • Apr 2002

Thanks Chelly. Will give it a try tonight and post my results. Much appreciated.

Comment

• andyg
                  • Apr 2002

Thankyou Chelly - The blocks have now left the building! I now get a perfect picture when encoding. I can't thank you enough. I can now rest knowing that when I come back to my computer I will have a usable MPEG for burning.

Comment

• poopity poop
                    • Apr 2002

Also to decrease encdoing time just in case mess-ups happen is to get a dual processor system. TMPEG will use as many processors as you can throw at it. OF course one should encode from an uncompressed huffYUV avi to gain the full speed.
                    But of course this course of action is very expensive..but you DO half your encoding time

Comment

• Mrsash
                      • Nov 2001

problem

Well i am not posting this as another problem coz i have the same problem as andy. The video is not blocky but i have that purple haze comming and going, i used the tlbro tmplete at vcdhelp but it did not work. Does anyone know why this problem exits and how to fix it

Comment

• Batman
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • Jan 2002

Try adjusting the AFW compatibility header. ALternatively, this may have to do something with interlacing/de-interlacing visit vcd-help.com for some advice.

Comment

• poopity poop
                          • Apr 2002

the purple haze comes from using the HBOcodec of DivX.
                          Guarenteed. Don't use Angel potion, or HBOcodec. Use DivX 3
                          .11alpha.

Comment

• Mrsash
                            • Nov 2001

i did use the 3.11 divx codec when i made the avi, now i am trying to convert it to mpg either vcd or svcd.

Where exactly should i be looking at vcdhelp.com

thanks

Comment

Working...