Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IAMDIVINE
    • May 2005

Video Card

I was thinking of buying a new video card with TV out. I was wondering what cards everyone thinks are the best for the money.
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

the money is WHAT?

and keep in mind that not every card may handle hdtv

Comment

• drfsupercenter
      NOT an online superstore
      • Oct 2005

Does it need to be HDTV, or did you post in the wrong place

If it doesn't, you can get one of those cheap nVidia GeForce MX cards for like $30-40, that should work fine for most games, and has S-Video out (even includes the cable)
      CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
      Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
      My DVD Collection

Comment

• IAMDIVINE
        • May 2005

I may have put this post in the wrong section, just couldn't find where it should go. And no the card does not need to have HDTV although I will be buying a HDTV in the next couple of months. What i am looking for in a card is the ability to have a clear picture when watching movies. My current card is a Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 and I get faint lines that scroll up across the picture while viewing on my TV using the s-video out (shows up really bad when the picture is dark, and really annoying while watching a movie). And I was thinking of keeping the purchase within the $100-200 range.

Comment

• UncasMS
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2001

i like ati's tv-output always a little better than nvidia's but sometimes it might be a driver/cable/... issue

Comment

• anonymez
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2004

Originally Posted by drf
            nVidia GeForce MX cards for like $30-40, that should work fine for most games
            where is this coming from? that's completely false. they are inferior for most people's needs nowadays, they're slow and have crappy tv out.

@iamdivine: go with an ati x1300 at least-- their latest driver release kicked nvidia's ass in picture quality. for something cheaper, can't go wrong with a 6200, though 6600/GT is ideal for excellent PQ (especially with hd spatial deinterlacing) and mainstream gaming
            Last edited by anonymez; 6 Feb 2006, 09:47 AM.
            "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• chickeneater
              Digital Video Expert
              Digital Video Expert
              • Apr 2002

if you are planning on using the video out on an hdtv set, you don't necessarily need to get a card with s-video out, just dvi. S-video can't keep up with the bandwidth of hdtv but dvi can. To do that, you'd need to get an adapter for dvi to HDMI to plug into the hdtv set. That way, you can get higher quality and somewhat more configurability (being digital; software screen adjustment, etc), whereas s-video is slower (not able to match the performance of the hdtv set), and it's analog (less configurability/quality).
              FFDShow filters
              Guliverkli's Media Player Classic

Comment

• toomanycats
                Digital Video Expert
                Digital Video Expert
                • Apr 2005

The faint line scrolling up is called a ground loop. If you put your TV and Computer on the same electrical circuit it should clean up. You have a voltage drop developed by having different grounds which causes the scrolling line. I would fix this problem before I got anything else as it will probably still be there.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎