• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • transfield
    • Feb 2006

Encoding Problem in Nero

Hello,

My situation:-
    I've got an avi file which I want to convert into a VCD. My problem is Nero hangs during the encoding process(prior to the actual burning).

Additional Info:-
    Nero seems to work fine when encoding & burning all my other avi files. I've experimented with a few versions of Nero but it all hangs when dealing with this particular avi file. I've tried splitting this file into many small pieces before encoding. The encoding & burning was successful for all pieces except for 1 piece. This avi file works perfectly well on my Windows Media Player. I prefer not to convert this avi file into mpeg before burning because the video quality drops significantly.

Please tell me how to make this avi file into a VCD, perhaps by using another application or how to 'repair' this file so that Nero can do it's job.

Thanks.
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

my honest opinion....drop nero. get TMPGenc (free) it's a quality encoder with a VCD wizard. if it crashes tmpgenc in that one spot, there is an easy way around that.
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• transfield
      • Feb 2006

Thanks for your reply. I downloaded that software after reading your post. It does not seem to support avi files.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

Originally Posted by transfield
        It does not seem to support avi files.
        i assure you you're mistaken. most common files converted with that software. is it giving you an error? if so you should raise the directshow reader.

Open TMPgenc Plus, the wizard will open. Close it. The first thing you need to do:

Go to the TMPGEnc's Option menu and select Environmental settings. From there, select the
        VFAPI Plug-in tab.

There you see a list of various reader plugins installed for the TMPGEnc. The one that's called DirectShow Multimedia File Reader is the one that we're looking at. As a default, its priority is -1. Select the item and right click on it. Choose Higher priority and repeat this until the "Priority" for this item is higher than any other plugin's priority in the list (usually 2). LEAVE this set always. I have found 50% of files won’t even open or produce write stream errros unless this is set.
        if an error persists, then you will need to post the file information. let us know.
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• transfield
          • Feb 2006

Thank you for your detailed explanation. Now the software accepts avi files after I set it up according to your instructions.

Nevertheless, the quality of the encoded mpeg was slightly lower than the original avi. This is why I prefer nero because there is no loss of quality during the encoding process.

I'll probably try to encode it as a vob & burn it into a dvd instead.

I appreciate your advice on this matter & thank you once again.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
            Demigod of Digital Video
            • Nov 2004

Originally Posted by transfield
            Thank you for your detailed explanation. Now the software accepts avi files after I set it up according to your instructions.

Nevertheless, the quality of the encoded mpeg was slightly lower than the original avi. This is why I prefer nero because there is no loss of quality during the encoding process.

I'll probably try to encode it as a vob & burn it into a dvd instead.

I appreciate your advice on this matter & thank you once again.
            that's a much better idea
            Columbo moments...

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎