X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

Netflix discriminates against frequent renters

When I was doing my "trial" period with Netflix, I was getting about 6 DVD's a week. As soon as my 2 week trail period was over, it went from Lamborghini fast delivery to Geo Metro speed delivery.

When I was on my trail period, I would get 3 DVD's on Monday. I would then watch them all that night and package them up and stick them in the mail box to return the next morning. Tuesday evening I would get a email from Netflix saying they had received my returns and were sending out my next DVD's. I would then receive 3 more DVD's Wednesday. That was fantastic and is the reason I joined Netflix.

After my trail period was over, return rate got super slow! The bad thing was I could return 3 movies at the same time and only 1 or 2 would get checked in and the 3rd one would get checked in like 3 days later. If I sent them all at the same time and they received the other 2, why wasn't the 3rd DVD checked in as well? I gave them the benefit of the doubt, and made a excuse for them. Well, it kept happening and happening. Now it takes a week to just to get 2 if I am lucky.

So I figured I would out smart them and test to see if they really were doing this on purpose. I sent off 3 DVD's in the same envelope (Netflix sends one envelope per DVD), and yet I know they got all 3 at the same time. But, still only 1 was checked in this time and the other 2 DVD were checked in 2 days later.

So, why do they say "Unlimited DVD Rentals" when they don't stand behind their own slogan/guarantee?

Today, I found out I wasn't the only customer they were doing that to. One guy in California took them to court over it. Read about it here.
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

another fella posted about this today too---very dirty.
    Talk about general digital video topics not part of the categories/forums below

Side note: for anyone who watches jimmy kimmel live, that guy in jmet's link looks just like their parking lot security guard guillermo.
    Last edited by LT. Columbo; 14 Feb 2006, 06:24 AM.
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• Zero G
      Next to Arch Stanton
      • Jan 2006

What a crappy company!
      "Wanted in 14 counties of this state. The condemned is found guilty of the crimes of murder, armed robbery of citizens, state banks and post offices, the theft of sacred objects, arson in a state prison, purgery, bigamy, deserting his wife and children, inciting prostitution, kidnapping, extortion, receiving stolen goods, selling stolen goods, passing counterfeit money, and contrary to the laws of this state, the condemned is guilty of using marked cards...therefore according to the powers vested in us, we sentence the accused here before us Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Ramirez also known as the Rat and any other aliases he may have to hang by the neck until dead."

Comment

• cynthia
        Super Moderatress
        • Jan 2004

Well they only have one person working...

Comment

• NightTran
          King of Digital Video
          King of Digital Video
          • Aug 2005

that look like you do all the working Cynthia
          sigpic

Comment

• photo_angel2004
            Queen of Digital Video
            Queen of Digital Video
            • Jan 2004

I tryed it once was a nightmare never again. Then when you cancle they still bill you. With me I only got 6 DVD's for the whole month.

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

• NightTran
              King of Digital Video
              King of Digital Video
              • Aug 2005

you should complain and got free months after that was what my wife did, they seem to shipping faster now ( after the news I hope )
              sigpic

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                NOT an online superstore
                • Oct 2005

Just use all the free trials for different accounts

But I don't need Netflix, I got the library that's free
                CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
                My DVD Collection

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                  Demigod of Digital Video
                  • Nov 2004

what does the library offer that's anything good? (besides columbo)
                  "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
                  Columbo moments...
                  "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                    NOT an online superstore
                    • Oct 2005

Look for yourself.
                    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                    Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• Love2Burn
                      • Feb 2006

I tried the library option myself before netflix but I got really tired really fast of getting halfway through a movie I liked only to find the dvd deeply scratched and stuck beyond repair just when you got really into it.

I don't mind netflix because I have a few little ones and my wife and I only get like two hours of movie watching time a night max. So it works for us.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                        NOT an online superstore
                        • Oct 2005

Well I just say "this disc is scratched" and they put it in repair for me

My library is awesome, they got all the new movies, some they preorder and have ready to check out the day they come out on DVD. Can't beat that without paying
                        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                        Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• Aegmorgil
                          • Nov 2005

If you do have netflx, don't fill out the little shipping surveys they send. When I got movies from them, every now and then they'd send this little email asking when something had arrived. You pick the date and they say 'thanks' and that was it; no explanation as to what the hell it was. Now I know: keeping tabs on how things run. Getting there too fast? Nawww, we can take care of that!!! Bastards. I'd tried Blockbuster, too, but they slowed you down simply by not having decent movies in stock. IN short, you can choose a service that sucks, or one that sucks. (sounds like a presidential eleciton in US, doesn't it) Your choice of two big piles of crap.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                            Demigod of Digital Video
                            • Nov 2004

Originally Posted by drfsupercenter
                            Well I just say "this disc is scratched" and they put it in repair for me

My library is awesome, they got all the new movies, some they preorder and have ready to check out the day they come out on DVD. Can't beat that without paying
                            so which columbo is it gonna be this weekend drf?

aegmorgil,
                            is that the cute little bunny from donnie darko?
                            Columbo moments...

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                              NOT an online superstore
                              • Oct 2005

Which one should I get? I normally just look on the shelf... will let you know what they have when I go
                              CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                              Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡