Netflix discriminates against frequent renters

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jodiwaits
    • Apr 2006

Blockbusters tells you straight up that they try to distribute their movies in a fair as possible manner which may include sending a movie to a customer that rents out less per month than another that trys to get as many as they can.
    They are slower though, but with their in store coupons every week, I get at least one new release each and every week. And when I received a disc that had a scratch and skipped in a couple places, they sent me another instantly right when I reported it>

I get both Netflix and Blockbuster Online, and I work for one of them...not saying which one tho.

I like them both, but for different reasons. Here, my BB rentals come faster and I get the four free coupons for in store rentals, so the monthly rental cost is almost a wash. The only thing that makes me mad about BB is that they ship FILTHY DVD's. I have gotten a few that looked as if they had PB&J all over them. So then I have to take time to clean them, and then decide weather or not I want to put them in my machine. I have also gotten some seriously defective stuff from BB, but upon reporting the issue, it is usually resolved next day.

Netflix is a day or so slower than BB, but their DVD's are 100% clean. I have yet to get a defective disc from them, and I have been with them for over a year. They do seem to swap my que around a bit, but I don't mind that as long as they eventually get here. I have been known to wipe out my que save the ONE DVD that I REALLY want. That way they have no choice but to ship it. I can be sneaky like that, and it seems to work great!

Comment

• jm1647
      An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
      • Apr 2005

Netflix has been strangling me with turn arounds the last couple of months. They just sent me a coupon for friends to get a free month trial. Yeah right, let them get suckered in like I did. They were very quick with turnarounds in the beginning, especially during the free trial. I think it might be time to try BB.

Comment

• jm1647
        • Apr 2005

This site explains it all about Netflix, BB for online remtals. Has newsclips, calculators and everything to explain how the online rental companies Throttle
        Last edited by jm1647; 27 Apr 2006, 06:57 AM.

Comment

• photo_angel2004
          Queen of Digital Video
          Queen of Digital Video
          • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by jm1647
          This site explains it all about Netflix, BB for online remtals. Has newsclips, calculators and everything to explain how the online rental companies Throttle

At last someone that agrees with me.

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

• floresdave
            results may vary
            • Mar 2006

anyone tried Intelliflix

i was reading about another service.

Intelliflix: SuperPass - America's #1 Online DVD Rental Plan

it's one dollar cheaper(16.99) than netflix has over 60,000 selections. You can also subscribe to a deluxe plan for 24.99 allowing u to get video games and adult material(three at a time) Rates discounted if you prepay full year so on. Obvioulsy my main concern is quality and i was just looking for feedback before i jumped ships.

for the record i do like netflix but i guess im just in a lucky district where u actually get your movies on time. I also no longer have to argue with some disgruntal minimum wage video clerk about when i returned my last movie and why i shouldn't have a late fee. Netflix is by no means perfect but for these two reasons alone it's worth the money

I read that link posted and it said that at the rate i am renting movies netflix should be slowing down my service to where it takes me two weeks to get movies and i should not be able to rent more than 10 a month. if i send a movie back on monday by wed-thurs have another one if i send back on thurs usually have another one by sat. they haven't slowed my service and i am not limited to 10 a month. been with netflix for a couple of years. just wanted to say that not all people are having problems with netflix and that link is not completly accurate.
            Last edited by floresdave; 29 Apr 2006, 03:30 AM.

Comment

• copyless
              Digital Video Expert
              Digital Video Expert
              • Apr 2006

I am a member of Blockbuster online and so far have had great service. I have received a couple of DVDs that were badly scratched, but with BB when you file a damaged report the DVD immediately leaves from my query and I have the option of having the same movie shipped or the next one in line. So they actually ship a replacement for a damaged DVD before even receiving the DVD back. And as I spoke with CS about the damaged DVDs I did get, I was told they are removed from inventory so that they will never be shipped to anyone else. I also live in metro Atlanta, and the shipping dept. is in Atlanta so I receive my movies the next day. I am able (so far) to get about 9 movies each week plus the four free rentals at the local store that comes with the package. All in all for $19.25 a month, I am satisfied, since just the four rentals from the store would cost about $18.00 and the ones from online I don't ever have to leave my chair (except to put it in the player and the mailbox).

I think for people who are new to online renting, the most important part of which to use, Netflix or BB is actually the shipping dept. location to their location. So far for about 3 months worth of service all of my movies have been 1 day there and 1 day back except for once which took 2 days for the return.

Comment

• jm1647
                • Apr 2005

@floresdave - I've been with NF for 13 months and received about 196 or so movies to date. With no rentals for about a month between Decmber and January.The last couple of months I have had to report DVD's missing in the mail because NF has not acknowledged them within 6 days. Also my delivery from NF used to be 1 day normally (I'm close to their distro center in Pennsy) but has been normally 2 - 3 days lately. Mu queue will sit there with the .next movie awaiting shipment and then the next day shipping has a 2 day later date.

I just got an email stating for one of the awaiting shipment DVD's that the expected delivery date is Tuesday May 2.

I have 3 of the last 6 DVD's I sent back still not acknowledged as being received by NF after a week. They usually acknowledge DVD's I report as missing after a day, 2 days max. Of the last 6 sent back they acknowledge receipt of movies I mailed back sooner than those I sent back fro9m an earlier shipment.

The Post Office blames Netflis and Netflix blames the Post Office. As I put in an earlier post I wsih they postmarked the envelopes .

Just tried BB on Tuesday with the 3@time, put 10 DVD's in the Queue (all new releases), they finally showed up as shipping on Wednesday with a delivery date of today (Friday) ...ahhh only 2 showed up.

Comment

• photo_angel2004
                  Queen of Digital Video
                  Queen of Digital Video
                  • Jan 2004

@jm1647,

I feel your pain. I did blockbuster online for 2 months. The manager at out local store talked me into it, he said that our local store was a huge distribution center for the online rentals so I would get my dvds fast.

he also explained that they way they are set up with the post office is once the post office picks them they scan a bar code on the envolope. As I was told once this bar code is scanned then blockbuster sees it right way on their computer system and once they see the movies were picked up by the post office they will send your next movies out.

THAT NEVER HAPPENED!

I signed up.... paid........ picked out like 20 dvd's they were supposed to send 3 out right away. With in a few days I had 3 dvd's I watched them the same day put them in the mail box the next day.

Look online they had one showing picked up but not the other 2 why was that they were all 3 scanned by the same mail man same day.

It was all a crock and to ad insult to injury NONE of the dvd's that I did get were even from the same state let alone the store down the street from me.

I was just talking with a lady that works for blockbuster and she asked me if I had the instore movie pass. I said yea I do.... she then told me if you are renting 8 or more dvd's with the instore pass they make sure you dont gt much with the online pass they send your movies to other memebers that do not have the instore pass that is how they get their money back on those that get more then 8 rentals on the instore pass. She also told me that customers that are getting dvd's online and sending them back right away they tell you they didnt get them back yet so they dont have to send anything out yet....... the more they do this the less they send out and the more RIPPED OFF the customer gets.

Comment

• jm1647
                    • Apr 2005

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I just lost a nice big reply I was doing because of the server busy message I just got AHHHHHHHHHHHH !@@#$ #&@* !!*!@@ &#^#^ !!!!

To put it briefly this time--

Ah why don't they just say we are throttling you cuz you rent too much.

With these last 3 missing DVD's I'm starting to think NF is gonna charge me for them.....Now that would really get me PO'd.

Comment

• photo_angel2004
                      Queen of Digital Video
                      Queen of Digital Video
                      • Jan 2004

I cancled my online with blockbuster and they billed me anyways for the next month so I had my card cancled so they couldnt bill me again and got my charges back from them.

I also sent in the last 3 DVD's that I had from them and they are still claiming they never got any of them and now they are trying to charge me $24.99 for each of them and they dont even have a case! NOR do I have them any more.

I suspected they may do that so I went to the post office and paid $1.42 for delivery conformation with signature for all 3 of the dvd's someone at Blockbuster DID sign for them so they can kiss my Arse! LMAO

Comment

• jm1647
                        • Apr 2005

I was thinking of doing that with NF (confirmed delivery) but it might be too late.

And speaking of NF look at the attachment I just noticed in my queue for NF..Are they !#$@%$^^ crazy

Edit - added attachment
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by jm1647; 29 Apr 2006, 09:37 AM.

Comment

• photo_angel2004
                          Queen of Digital Video
                          Queen of Digital Video
                          • Jan 2004

only you can see that. LOL

Comment

• jm1647
                            • Apr 2005

It is there now...I'm so mad I forgot to hit upload LMAO

Comment

• photo_angel2004
                              Queen of Digital Video
                              Queen of Digital Video
                              • Jan 2004

nope not yet LOL

Comment

• jm1647
                                • Apr 2005

Blondes!!!! - Ya gotta luv 'em --- IOU 1

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡