• Show
Clear All
  • fishboy
    • Feb 2006

cant burn with nec 3500

can anybody tell me which firmware to use and where to get it
    i have a load of discs of various brands all with a Disc id TTGO2
    and a nec 3500 burner
    im sure i should be able to burn these discs with it but i cant i always get read errors while verifying
    i have the latest firmware from the nec site but it dont help
    if its not a firmware problem then what is it
    its really uncoOoOoOl
  • fishboy
    • Feb 2006

oh yeh i should have added
    the burner itself is ok - i burn other discs just fine with it

Comment

• NightTran
      King of Digital Video
      King of Digital Video
      • Aug 2005

there are every thing you need to know in Blu's sig

blu's sig
      sigpic

Comment

• locoeng
        Who Farted?
        • Dec 2005

Those are TDK discs and are not held in high regards...try some quality media from Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden, Sony, Fuji, Maxell(made in Japan).

Here are some modified NEC firmwares: http://www.micheldeboer.nl/firmware/

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It's not fair to you and no challenge for us."
        Walt Kelly

Comment

• fishboy
          • Feb 2006

actually thats a popular misconception- tdk discs may not be held in high regard- but i think its a reflection of there price rather than there performance
          their tapes used to suffer from the same stigma even though they were actually amongst the best
          but if you check they do very well when tested
          admittedly these tests are for faults per disc and general performance rather than compatability
          but compatability issues are more the drive manufactureres realm and their failure to take the effort to update the firmwares more often and more thoroughly
          thanks for the firmwares link its appreciated
          but i do find that theres very little info on what the firmwares are updated to
          they are more concerned with making them region free and removing the speed locks on them ,in my experience
          its mostly trial and error -
          and a risky trial at that
          but i shall still check the links - thanks

Comment

• Dan
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Dec 2005

I have used 100+ TDK DVD+R on my LG and NEC without a failed burn. They may not be the best, but certainly aren't the worst IMO.

Comment

• locoeng
              Who Farted?
              • Dec 2005

I'm not referring to the price, but the quality...TDK's like Memorex, Imation and many other brands outsource to different manufacturers to make the discs for them. The difference between them and the others is they may still code out as using TDK dye, and may in fact be CMC Mags or come from another undesireable source...Fakes. So while TDK by themselves may be good, the fact remains that you don't really know what you are getting. They may have steered away from this practice, but I'm still not inclined to recommend them. If they work for you use them, this is the true test

I use the modified f/w from that site for my 3540A and have no problems with it...

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It's not fair to you and no challenge for us."
              Walt Kelly

Comment

• fishboy
                • Feb 2006

well that is certainly food for thought - i certainly would not like be to using cmc fakes
                does anyone know if the source you buy the discs from helps
                are they less likely to be fakes if you buy them say from svp rather than ukdvdr
                is there anyway of checking whether or not there fakes - any inspection?
                actually im gradually coming down on the side of svp in general
                they are a little more expensive than ukdvdr but there customer attitude
                and service are superb in my experience
                while ukdvdr make you post faulty stuff back at your own cost - the cost of which comes to more than the product value
                i have a sneaking suspicion that svps sources may be a bit more reliable
                but it may be no more than that- a suspicion
                anyhoo - i digress
                does the modified fimware cover a multitudeof disc ids - becuase the official nec one for the 3500 could be better
                and thats the trouble ,for me with modified firmware they never list the ids its compatible with
                has it got all the same ones as the officail firmware plus more
                or is it merely a different assortment
                and since they never give you a list of compatible ids it seems pot luck whether or any particular firmware will cover the discs i want it too
                or am i missing something

Comment

• locoeng
                  Who Farted?
                  • Dec 2005

Here is where I get the info on the TDK's, they are listed as first class media, however, if you read down towards the bottom they explain about the "legal fakes". TDK may have stepped away from this strategy, but who knows.

As for the firmware, I can't comment on the media compatability because I don't have your drive and don't use your media....I use the hacked f/w from this site and find it to be reliable, and I use Maxell's(made in Japan). The good thing is, the site also offers original firmware, so take your pick.

Walt Kelly

Comment

• fishboy
                    • Feb 2006

thats kind of my case in point
                    i know this particular firmware site and i have spent a couple of hours looking at it and scratching my head
                    there is a bewildering array of firmware for my burner - it must be in 3 fig ures or close too
                    how am i supposed to know which is the right one to use
                    not forgetting that we are warned about using the wrong firmware, all over the place or my pc will explode or something
                    while i am quite comfortable upgrading with the official firmware from nec
                    i am a little wary of using a hacked one that i know nothing about
                    and even if i was happy too - like i say im taking a risk and i dont even know whether or not it covers the required ids
                    i assume the ones that have rpc 1 next to them are no good if your in zone 2

Comment

• locoeng
                      Who Farted?
                      • Dec 2005

The firmware supplied by the deboler site I linked you to earlier actually comes from Liggy and Dee...Here is their FAQ on the NEC firmware.

You can also find a list of compatable media in this link.

RPC1 actually means region free, so it would matter what region you are in, the patch should still work.

Q: What is RPC1 and do I need it?
                      A: RPC1 is a general term used for region free. This patch will make your drive region free; however, region free software will also be required to enjoy DVD region free playback on your PC. If you have DVD discs from only one region, there is really no need for this patch. For more info, you may like to check this out here.
                      Chewy, I believe uses the 3550 and I'm suprised he hasn't chimed in on this thread yet. I also have a buddy on another site who uses the modified f/w for his 3550 and has reported any problems to me.

I'm not here to goad you into using the modified firmware, nor am I hear to argue with you about the help that you've requested. I've given you all the resources you should need to make an informed decision, so now the choice is yours.

Good Luck.

After reviewing the initial post I realize I've used the wrong NEC drive as an example (oops) but I'm not going to change my whole post because the jist is still the same, regardless of the model number.

Walt Kelly

Comment

• Gary D
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • Dec 2005

Here is a link to videohelp about TDK:

See how many different manufacturers there are of TDK's. It is turkey shoot at best because you generally can't see what you are buying before you buy it. Therefore, make sure the retailer has a good return policy.
                        Gary D

Comment

• atifsh
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          • May 2003

i have TDK writer which is NEC 3500A, iv updated the firmware with latest but few of my dvd's didnt read on it, so i downgrade a step and it worked fine, just to check i again updated th firmware , this time it works fine.....hmm maybe a update problem.

u may try different firmwares tobe sure.
                          Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• fishboy
                            • Feb 2006

its a rare retailer that will let you return discs just becuase they are incompatible- if anybody knows one please tell me -
                            theres a cry in the wilderness

Comment

• photo_angel2004
                              Queen of Digital Video
                              Queen of Digital Video
                              • Jan 2004

you can always use them for data from you pc.

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

Working...