X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aksmith
    • May 2004

Originally Posted by LT. Columbo
    lies... all LIES!

I've used Blockbuster's service for the last six months and it's been great. I rent about 12 movies a month and the worst that has happened is that a new release was out of stock for a week or two. And when a new release doesn't come as fast as I want it, I simply go tuesday morning and pick it up with my weekly free rental. I spent a year getting throttled by Netflix, so I've really appreciated Blockbuster. It may vary from region to region, but for the DVDs I'm not likely to buy or to try out ones that I may want to buy, I'd say that 19 dollars per month for sixteen movies a month (12 by mail plus 4 in the store) is an amazing deal. And so what if they had only sent me 9 or 10 in the mail? It would still be a very good deal. It's rare that you actually get what you pay for. Netflix was the worst, and I've been very happy with Blockbuster in Las Vegas.

Comment

• floresdave
      results may vary
      • Mar 2006

Blockbuster is a very large company and i suspect that they will have good prices and good services long enough to try to shut netflix down and then return to their shady business practices. I may sound bitter, but i have never been treated so badly by a company that i used to frequent at least twice a week. (pre-netflix) Rude service, poor selection, false late charges that they refused to remove from my account or even acknowledge that it could have been an employee error. There are many blockbuster in my city and the ones on the other side of town i would rent from occasionally. There systems weren't linked so i couldn't pay legitimate late fees at one blockbuster from another blockbuster and blockbuster sent me a collection notice for $3.97 because i didn't want to drive 45 mins to pay it at that particular store. I expressed my concerns to their staff and was told that if i wasn't happy i should go rent from another video store chain. I have taken their advice and have never been in a blockbuster since. It just seems too coincendental that blockbuster all of a sudden cares about customer service. I have heard of this throttling practice and have been trying to push the limit of how many movies i am getting lately and have seen no evidence of throttling on my netflix account. I recieve at least one brand new release each week this week it was The Producers and my movie turn around is three days or less. From reading posts on this subject i know that not all people have the same experience and/or attitude about this situation.
      It's pure business that the more movies you rent the less money these companies make. If i rent 15-20 movies a month for 17.99 that is a pretty good deal and worth the money. Netflix and Blockbuster employee's need to get paid just like the rest of us and if neither are making money in this mail order movie rental venture then it will be short lived and all of us suffer and have to go back to searching through the same 300 titles in store trying to find the one we have only seen three times.

Comment

• photo_angel2004
        Queen of Digital Video
        Queen of Digital Video
        • Jan 2004

Blockbuster has 2 passes one is online and you are supposed to get 3 dvd turn them in get 3 more.

They Also have an instore pass. You get 2 dvd's return them and take 2 more and so on and so on.... unlimited as long as you are cerrent with your pass dues of $24.95 per month.

Here is the catch, if you have the in store pass and you rent 2 or more dvd per day more then 10 daying in a single month....... and also have the online deal ....... they WILL and they DO NOT let you have very many dvd's by mail it is there was of """" getting some of their money back """"!!!!!

People that have the instore pass seem to get about 6 dvd's per month on line through the mail.

People that do not have the instore pass seem to get a lot more movies then those that have the instore pass. How ever Once you have had 10 dvd 's per month by mail ....... the mail....... all of a sudden gets slow.!!!! Imagine that! !!

Just a word of advice ... the instore pass is the best deal as BLOCKBUSTER HAS NO control over how many movies you do get each month.. YOU have ALL of the control.

Also another tip:
        With the instore pass NEVER turn the movies in the drop box. Always hold onto the dvd's you are returning untill you are ready to check out with 2 new ones. That way then scan them back in and they scan 2 more out for you and they cant say "we didnt get the other 2 are you sure you put them in the drop box?"" Customer beware.
        Last edited by photo_angel2004; 20 May 2006, 05:56 AM.

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

• jm1647
          An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
          • Apr 2005

With BB I'm on the 3@time and only 2 instore rental coupons for May showed up so far, good until the 25th. How many coupons can you see at once and how many do you get?

Comment

• jm1647
            • Apr 2005

My expected delivery date from BB in less than a month has already slipped from 1 day to mostly 2 or 3
            Attached Files

Comment

• copyless
              Digital Video Expert
              Digital Video Expert
              • Apr 2006

My expected delivery date from BB has always been 3 days, but I always get the movies in 1 day. Out of about 150 movies, I have had 2 movies that took 2 days to get to me, and one movie that actually showed up today (1 week later), but I had already reported that movie missing and actually already got the next movie in it's place and returned it.

On my account this month they started sending me one coupon per week for the in-store rentals, good for only that week (from Mon.-Sun) instead of all the coupons at once. Actually it worked out to my advantage, because I got the two coupons for the month plus 3 already for the weeks, which will end up giving me 7 in-store rentals for the month of May.

Comment

• floresdave
                results may vary
                • Mar 2006

the instore program seems great but when i go into the store there are very few titles i haven't seen. If you want to watch Doctor Doolittle 7 and Big Momma strikes again then blockbuster is cool. I could not see just getting the in store rental except as a supplement. There are two many movies and or special interest dvd's that will never make it to the store and are much more interesting than the latest rehashed script turned into major motion picture. Plus i have watched all those rehashed movies
                Last edited by floresdave; 21 May 2006, 12:53 AM.

Comment

• jm1647
                  • Apr 2005

Originally Posted by copyless
                  My expected delivery date from BB has always been 3 days, but I always get the movies in 1 day. Out of about 150 movies, I have had 2 movies that took 2 days to get to me, and one movie that actually showed up today (1 week later), but I had already reported that movie missing and actually already got the next movie in it's place and returned it.

On my account this month they started sending me one coupon per week for the in-store rentals, good for only that week (from Mon.-Sun) instead of all the coupons at once. Actually it worked out to my advantage, because I got the two coupons for the month plus 3 already for the weeks, which will end up giving me 7 in-store rentals for the month of May.
                  In the beginning (April 26th) I had a 1 day expected delivery date, now as I mentioned 2 to 3 days, out of 13 movies received so far I have had to report 3 as missing after 3 days, they eventually came within a day or 2.
                  As I mentioned in another post I wish they postmarked these movie rental envelopes. I'm in NJ anout 10 miles from Philly where they get mailed back to and from where I am assuming they come from.

Comment

• copyless
                    Digital Video Expert
                    Digital Video Expert
                    • Apr 2006

I am not sure but sometimes I think some of the problems arise from the PO and how they handle bulk mail.

I know I was suprised to open my mailbox today to find three BB envelopes inside, but I knew as soon as I saw the three, that one of them would be the missing movie.

Comment

• JimS
                      Banned
                      • Apr 2006

BB has worked well for me this past year.
                      I have their cheapest plan.
                      Only one broken DVD which caused a short delay.
                      Half the time the (now weekly) coupon doesn't
                      work at the local shop, but the shop has always
                      honored it anyway.
                      Shop is alway helpful and courteous.

Comment

• jm1647
                        • Apr 2005

My first month on Netflix was 20 movies on the 3@time plan. My first month with BB was 16 movies on the 3@time plan. 25% more on Netflix.

Comment

• JustPeachieee
                          • Mar 2006

Originally Posted by always
                          ya you can say that again im on the trial now and i already see it i live in the chicago burbs and the warehouse i return to is in chicago and they claim its taking 3 days ton get it and expect it to be back to me in 4 days for my next one. what is that about? i sent out a movie on monday and they still dont show they have recieved it today Thursday and its the afternoon which means i prob wont get my next one till monday at least.
                          This is how I get around that problem with Blockbuster... I have used them for months and have never had a problem renting only a "specified" amount of DVDs... I am on the 3 per month unlimited plan. When I send a movie back, I automatically go to my queue and choose "problems with DVD/Movie".. it is a small link and it will bring up another menu that shows all the movies you have out at that time and then below that is a list for you to choose from. When you have returned a movie, just check "I returned movie but it has not cleared my queue yet" and it will bring up another screen and you can choose "send next available title"... TADA! Your done... they will immediately send out your next available movie in your queue... Hope that helps!

Comment

• codajohn
                            Digital Video Expert
                            Digital Video Expert
                            • Jul 2005

The 2 free movie a month coupon is the only thing I liked about BB. I use Netfiix and I am satisfied with their service. I wish they had some type of deal that would equal BB's coupon. Perhaps one month free after a year subscription. I figure with BB's-2 free movies a month x 12 months = 24 free movies a year. Netflix could certainly afford to give one month unlimited free movies. Something to think about Netflix!!!!!
                            I don't think I ever got 24 movies in one month. Seems like a win/win situation for all.
                            CJ
                            My DVD Collection
                            Register To Join Digital Video Forums

Dell Inspiron 9100 Laptop, Windows XP Home SP 2 (build 2600), 2.80GH Pent 4, ST94811A 40GB HD, 2GB RAM, NEC DVD+RW ND-6100A 104D, ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9700, External 250GB Maxtor HD, External LG-5163D A105

IBM ThinkCenter 8189, XP Pro, 3.2GH Pentium 4, 120 GB HD, 1GB Ram, BENQ DW1650 BCIC, Nvidia GeForce FX 5200, Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

The Golden Rules of Burning

Comment

• copyless
                              Digital Video Expert
                              Digital Video Expert
                              • Apr 2006

BB now gives 1 free movie rental a week. So you get 52 free movies a year. Unlike the two a month though, where you had all month to use them. You get one coupon per week and it has to be used that week.

Comment

• mahoney19
                                • Apr 2005

My 2 week free trial is ending in 3 days with blockbuster. Really disappointed with the service. Have only received 3 movies so far. I signed up and it took 4 days for movies to be shipped. Watched them returned them the next day. That was 4 days ago no new movies yet. My movie list has newer flims in it but no new releases. My movies go to the same city as my Netflix returns go to. Netflix I'm averaging 6 movies a week. Decided to try bb for the coupons and see what the service was like. Definitely staying with netflix.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎