Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ALb
    • Dec 2001

Weird Problem with some AVI & WMP Playback

Ok here's the deal, I have had no problem in the past playing any type of AVI file, I used the GDIVX player v1.85 and had the Divx 3.11 codec installed. This combo worked perfectly with any file I played, but yesterday I thought I would upgrade to the newer version of GDIVX v1.91 and this worked fine too but for some reason the newer version doesn't have the Resize option. So I started looking for different divx players and downloaded 2 different ones to try them out, they both worked poorly on my system so I uninstalled them, I also installed the newest Divx codec at that time, 4.11 I think.

To make a long story longer, I restart my machine and reinstall the old version of GDIVX and open a file that worked perfectly before I started screwing around with new players and the file starts up fine but the screen is all GRAY, the audio works fine but NO PICTURE, Just GRAY screen. Also when I try to view any streaming content that uses WMP online the screen is GRAY too!

I uninstalled and reinstalled everything back to the way I had it but I am still having the GRAY screen problems.

I have tried a couple of the Codec Paks but nothing seems to fix the problem.

Anyone have any suggestions?
  • LaFouine
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Dec 2001

Try to change the number of colors you use in configuration panel.
    I improved that DivX 4 was only working in 32 bits color mode on my screen. In 16 bits mode, screen was desesperately grey.

Tell me...
    Rip In Peace
    LaFouine

Comment

• door_man
      • Dec 2001

Hi all!

I'm having exactly the same problems with playing divx 3.11 movies. they play perfectly in virtualdub but when playing with windows media player or bsplayer the picture is all gray. I don't really remember what I did to cause it but I suspect that it may be upgrading the media player to version 7.1. I also tried to reinstall divx 3.11 and 4.12 codec, directx, video drivers etc. and nothing helped I would very much appreciate if didn't have to reinstall windows couse everything else works like a clock at the moment .

please help me find a solution!!!

P.S. all other movies including divx 4.12 encoded work great.

Comment

• door_man
        • Dec 2001

Hi all!

OK everybody I found a solution to the gray picture problem!
        It's very stupid and very simple but then again most of the solutions to similar problems are simple and stupid.

What you have to do is: under the properties in windows media player you choose the advanced tab, then click on the divx decompresor and chances are you will have everything (contrast, hue, saturation, brightness) set to zero. That's why the video is all gray. You just set all the parameters to 50 or so and the picture will be back.

Just don't know how the hell did all the parameters got set to zero in the first place!!!

P.S. till next time take care of yourselves and each other!

Comment

• Pinguin
          • Jan 2002

ok ppl,

I had the same problem, what I do is this: press ALT + ENTER and get the movie in full screen, 9 out of 10 times, it works, really, it's stupid but it did worked out here

good luck and let me know if it helps...

greetz...

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"ust don't know how the hell did all the parameters got set to zero in the first place!!! "

It happened when you installed the 4.12 codec (And answered "Yes" to "do you want 4.12 to play 3.11 files". Surprisingly, the answer should be "No")

Comment

Working...