Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Mar 2005

Guide - Convert DVD to mp4 with Staxrip

How to encode DVD’s with x264

Required software:
    1.DVD Decrypter
    2.StaxRip (most recent version)

In this guide I will be explaining how to very simply encode a DVD video to mp4 with the x264 codec. I will be using the movie Star Wars Episode I, The Phantom Menace.

First install the software, there is no set-up for StaxRip it just runs from the unpacked files.

Ok now we need to get the raw video to the hardrive. To do this start up DVD Decrypter and go to IFO mode, either by pressing I on the keyboard, or mode => IFO. DVD Decrypter will automatically select the longest file as this is most likely the movie.

If you are happy with your selection press the big decrypt button and wait for it to do its job. This screen will pop-up to display the decrypting process. A fun sound will play upon completion.

Ok now that we have the files on our hardrive lets start-up StaxRip. We need to do a little set-up for the encode. First go to profiles => encoder => x264. This will display several profiles, pick the one that most fits what you are going to use the video for. I am using x264 – CE-Baseline. The profiles are explained here, http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=101813

Also under profiles select the container, I like to use mp4, and you can also select the audio, but you must use AAC for mp4, so I picked AAC - HE 5.1 VBR 200-250. StaxRip will search for the programs needed to perform the encode you have selected. If it is missing any files it will pop-up a window, simply click download in that window to download and install any needed programs. Once you have everything you need it will tell you so.

Now we need to load in our video, we want to click that little down arrow next to the source block, and select add files

In the pop-up screen click ADD

Now simply navigate to the files we made with DVD Decrypter. I only made one vob file, but you may have made several, you need to select them all if there is more than one, then select open. (to select more than one file hold down the Ctrl button while left clicking the files to add)

If done correctly your files will be added to this screen, simply click OK

Now Staxrip will run through any analyze function, just wait for it to finish. The screen will look similar to this.

Once complete it will go back to the main screen, but notice there are now prompts at the bottom of the screen.

Ok first lets select a file size we like, 1400mb’s is a good size. But that isn’t a choice so we need to add it click the drop down arrow next to size, then click edit menu.

This screen will pop-up

Under Root click the first – and we will edit it. You will want to edit it so it looks exactly like mine. Then click OK

Make sure you also select 1400mb as the target size. Now lets give this a name. For mine I will call it Phantom Menace, and I am going to save it to my C drive. To do this simply click the box to the right of the target and specify where to save and a name. If you do it right it should look something like this.

Ok we now want to pick our final display size. Since we want full DVD res slide the bar all the way to the right under resize. Your width should be 720, the Height will be different depending on the aspect ratio of the video.

Ok we are almost done, you can ignore the prompts at the bottom of the screen and just hit next. The standard filters are fine, the only one you way need to add is the Deinterlace filter. This varies from movie to movie, but to tell just uncheck resize and press F5, scroll through the images and compare them to http://www.100fps.com/ if it is interlaced then check the de-interlace box, if it isn’t then don’t. But make sure to recheck the resize box when you are done. My video doesn’t need it, so I am not checking deinterlace.

Ok simply keep pressing next until the encode process starts. The first that will happen is it will open the StaxRip Log and BeSweet. You can now walk away and in a 3-10 hours you will be able to come back to a fully encoded movie. Be advised when it is done it will reopen the main staxrip window, but there will be a warning at the bottom about overwriting. Simply close staxrip and navigate to where you saved your video.
    Last edited by ajp; 5 Jul 2006, 07:39 PM.
  • ajp
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Mar 2005

Quick bump for those interested.

Comment

• Gawwad
      • Feb 2006

first of all thanx alot for ur nice guide

just a little noobi questions, in the example that u have shown, the original source's framerate is 29.970
      so do u have to select "ivtc"?

Comment

• otrcomm
        • Oct 2006

yo arp,

thanks man/lady, great info.

however, can't see your images here in the forum, and the links to reffbucket.com are all broken since the reefbucket site is down. wish i could see the images.

Comment

• otrcomm
          • Oct 2006

Originally Posted by otrcomm
          ...links to reffbucket.com are all broken ...
          duh, should be reefbucket.com

Comment

• ajp
            Platinum Member
            Platinum Member
            • Mar 2005

Sorry I no longer run the site and it is shut down. I don't have the pictures any longer either.

Comment

• convince
              • Dec 2010

Useful post... However, when you decrypt DVD's to x264 files, the output quality is not good.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎