Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pep10k
    • Apr 2002

copy dvd to vhs w/ dxr3 = low quality?

hello, i am trying to copy a dvd to a vhs tape using the tv-out on my creative dxr3 decoder card. i have made my dvd-rom region free and have tried remote selector v1.79 and the creative pc-dvd player and have sucessfully recorded dvd w/o macrovision onto a vhs tape, however, it is rather poor quality. i believe this is due to the creative pc-dvd player as it looks like crap on the pc and the tv when it is playing a dvd (also i would like to use windvd or powerdvd instead). so, i tried to use windvd to see if it looks better but i cannot get any output to my vhs through the decoder card while running it. i cannot start and run windvd through remote selector either. does remote selector v1.79 not work with windvd?

Basically i would like to know the best method and what programs i need to make the best dvd copies to vhs w/o macrovision going through a creative dxr3 before i ante up the cash for any software such as remote selector v2.0.1. any help is much appriciated. thanks! -pep-
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Per the Remote Selector website, it DOES support both WinDVD and PowerDVD. The following is exctly what is posted at the site:

What is Remote Selector?
    Remote Selector is an add-on utility for PC DVD players with the following features:
    Region free for all supported decoders and players. You will never have to worry about changing the region code and decreasing counters!
    Disabling MacroVision and changing video mode on TV output. Connect your DVD player to your VCR without the usual image distortion.
    Disabling User Prohibition, or in other words enabling of Prohibited User Operations. All buttons and menus will be enabled in your player, which will allow you to:
    skip or fast-forward FBI warnings and other intro's.
    change soundtracks on the fly.
    ... and much more!
    Disabling of forced subtitles. Even when User Prohibition is disabled, subtitles may still appear on screen. However, Remote Selector can remove any subtitle (!), as long as it has not been hardcoded in the image.
    Control DVD player software by keyboard, joystick or remote control.
    Display player info like title, chapter and time on LCD display and Closed Caption.
    Currently supported decoders and players include Creative Dxr2, Dxr3 and Inlay, RealMagic Hollywood+, Chromatic Design Mpact2, PowerDVD and WinDVD.

Remote Selector works with all versions of Windows (95, 98, ME, NT4, 2000 and XP) and has support for all versions (including the latest) of the players mentioned above.

Comment

• khp
      The Other
      • Nov 2001

PowerDVD and WinDVD are software players, to the best of my knowledge there is no way to get them to output the video throgh the DXR3 hardware decoder.
      Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
      http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• pep10k
        • Apr 2002

ah, okay. i guess i cannot use any player other than the creative pc-dvd one and still get tv-out on the dxr3. damn, kinda makes me wish i'd of bought a video card with tv-out. thanks for the help. -pep-

Comment

• khp
          The Other
          • Nov 2001

Originally posted by pep10k
          ah, okay. i guess i cannot use any player other than the creative pc-dvd one and still get tv-out on the dxr3.
          This in not entirely true, the creative DXR3 is really a SigmaDesigns Hollywood+ card. which means that you can use the Hollywood+ drivers and the Hollywood player. you can get this from http://www.sigmadesigns.com/. But ofcause the quality will be the same because it the same Hardware thats dooing all the work, but it's my impression that most people prefer the Hollywood+ player.

kinda makes me wish i'd of bought a video card with tv-out.
          It's been my experience the quality of most TV-out solutions are worse than the DXR3/H+.
          But I don't understand why you are complaining about quality of the DXR3 output, when you are converting to vhs, my DXR3(using H+ drivers) produce much better quality than I have ever seen with VHS. Are you sure that the quality loss is not caused by running the signal through your video recorder ?.

Comment

• pep10k
            • Apr 2002

there is an improvement in the output quality when i bypass the vhs, but i believe it's because i'm using a composite connection from the dxr3 to the tv instead of the 75 ohm i was using from the vhs to the tv. i only have one composite cable so i guess i'll have to get another one to avoid constant cable swapping. it does look pretty good compared to most vhs tapes...

as for the h+ player/drivers, what build are you using khp and do you recommend running it on windows 98se or 2000? thanks again. -pep-

Comment

• khp
              The Other
              • Nov 2001

Originally posted by pep10k
              as for the h+ player/drivers, what build are you using khp and do you recommend running it on windows 98se or 2000? thanks again. -pep-
              I have used it with both win98 and win2k, currently using win2k with the following drivers, that I have also been able to use with divx+, for divx output to TV, even though it's difficult with win2k.

My Win 2k drivers are:
              Release 2.2 beta (Build 139_5) June 15th, 2001

Win98:
              Release 2.2 beta (Build 139_5) for Win 9x -- June 15th, 2001

DVD Station Version 4.06

Comment

Working...