Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When will 1080p support in HD DVD be available?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • westcott
    "His and Her Room!"
    • Mar 2006

When will 1080p support in HD DVD be available?

And what movie releases will be in native 1080p and when?
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

None of the early HD DVD players will support 1080p output, but the specs allow for it and some of these early players may be upgradable to support 1080p output through a firmware update.

As for the movies, logically, it would be better for all HD DVD releases to be in 1080p, so that these don't have to be re-issued when 1080p support is finalised, but logic doesn't always win out. Probably just have to wait and see, but indications are at least some of the early releases will be in 1080p.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• westcott
      "His and Her Room!"
      • Mar 2006

Originally Posted by admin
      None of the early HD DVD players will support 1080p output, but the specs allow for it and some of these early players may be upgradable to support 1080p output through a firmware update.

As for the movies, logically, it would be better for all HD DVD releases to be in 1080p, so that these don't have to be re-issued when 1080p support is finalised, but logic doesn't always win out. Probably just have to wait and see, but indications are at least some of the early releases will be in 1080p.
      I ran across an interview between an Audioholics editor and Microsoft's HD DVD Program Manager, Sage Schreiner. It is an interesting read but I was looking for an update.

http://www.audioholics.com/ces/CESte...Sinterview.php

The response from the HDMI president was also interesting.

In a recent article in this space, Microsoft's HD DVD program manager Sage Schreiner implied that the failure of many HD DVD…

I have seen no firm committment for any titles to be in 1080p for HD DVD. This concerns me. And it is, unfortunately, not a simple firmware upgrade for hardware either.
      Last edited by westcott; 24 Mar 2006, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎