X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

DVD Backup May Become Legal

In one of the most important and controversial aspects of the DMCA, any technology which is designed to circumvent copy-protection schemes, no matter how simple, is illegal. This has strong implications for the fair use aspect of US copyright law, which provides the consumer with the right to make copies of copyrighted material for personal use. In other words, if a manufacturer installs copy-protection in a product, the right to copy is guaranteed, but the ability to copy is prohibited.

Will the situation change anytime soon? While the DMCA is unlikely to be scrapped in the near term, small changes have already been made as part of the law's three-year review, but have all touched on fairly minor issues to date. More promising is the Digital Media Consumers' Rights Act reintroduced in 2005 and currently stuck in the Judiciary committee. The bill would gut the DMCA's current anti-circumvention provision by including the following line: "and it is not a violation of this section to circumvent a technological measure in order to obtain access to the work for purposes of making non-infringing use of the work." Though it may never come to a vote, the bill shows that at least some members of Congress are also aware of the DMCA's problems. Whether they will be able to do anything about them remains to be seen. More...
    Last edited by jmet; 23 Mar 2006, 04:06 PM.
  • youthinksoo
    • Oct 2005

Cool

Comment

• drfsupercenter
      NOT an online superstore
      • Oct 2005

If only they would make copying discs you don't own legal, that would rock.
      CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
      Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
      My DVD Collection

Comment

• soup
        Just Trying To Help
        • Nov 2005

Don't go getting greedy now.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
          NOT an online superstore
          • Oct 2005

Wasn't planning on it, but with me still going to school and not having a job I can't just buy any DVD I want. So it would be cool if I could copy them from the library. (not that I do!)
          CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
          Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• dmanshead
            Consequence is a bigger word than you think, it's bigger than you or me
            • Dec 2005

ok so what about the titles you rent from a video store could you back those up legally as well?
            If you use these forums you will not have to face that...
            Long Live Foamy!!!

My burners Nec ND 3550A, Benq DQ60, Liteon SHW P6S, 2 Sony AW_Q170A's (free with my new system) and JLMS XJ-HD S.

Comment

• photo_angel2004
              Queen of Digital Video
              Queen of Digital Video
              • Jan 2004

If that goes through would out favorite programs still be free ware?

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                NOT an online superstore
                • Oct 2005

Who knows... but if you got freeware now, and they try to charge for it, then use the one you have!

that's why I keep a "program installers and accessories" folder in My Documents. 75% of freeware I get I put in there so I never lose it (after OpD2d and WMP9 became "extinct" and I had to do massive Googling (I mean like 20 pages deep) I made that)
                I got stuff back from Ulead Video Studio 7 free trial and other 'oldies' like that.

So if they try to charge me for it, I just use the installers I have.
                CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• prettybasesg
                  • Mar 2006

I bought the set of "Lord of the Rings" for $68.00 + tax. I love the set, the pictures.
                  One of my friends came over and borrowed the set, and he kept for like ...over a year. when I got it back the set was ... terrible (I had no ideas what he did, or maybe his children or anyone, to the set, the book of picture, dvds scrached, there was "brown" marks on the dvd which I believed it was coffee....). I love the movie, and want to keep it nice. I purchased another set. but you know, I can't do this more than 2 or 3 times.

To avoid this, if I backed up my dvds and lend my friend the back-u- dvd, is it illegal? or i just need to tell my friend "get your own" ....
                  Just a though.
                  sigpic
                  ALL IN 4 CUP KRAZAY 2007 BABY
                  CHEER FOR CALGARY FLAMES

-- GO FLAMES GO --
                  -- GO FLAMES GO --
                  -- GO FLAMES GO --

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                    NOT an online superstore
                    • Oct 2005

Not sure on this one, I think if he keeps it it would be illegal for YOU as he has the originals and you have copies. If he gives them back, it should be no problem.

BUT this is not set in stone, in fact we are not supposed to give legal advice, so heed that warning.
                    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                    Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• Aegmorgil
                      • Nov 2005

When in doubt....don't do it. I'd play it safe and not give a back-up to anyone, although letting him use the original has obvious drawbacks. Tell him to dump coffee on his own $60 movie.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                        NOT an online superstore
                        • Oct 2005

I would just give him my blockbuster rental card and say "go rent it" LOL
                        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                        Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• floresdave
                          results may vary
                          • Mar 2006

that will be a sad day when they are policing who you let borrow your own dvd's

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                            Demigod of Digital Video
                            • Nov 2004

never happen.
                            "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
                            Columbo moments...
                            "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
                            "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
                            (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• floresdave
                              results may vary
                              • Mar 2006

not enough money is budget to police that kind of thing. i wouldn't worry about letting people borrow dvd's as long as you own the original and you are truly letting them "borrow" it. but like the supercenter says i'm no lawyer.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎