Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

worrying about insignificant things like this is a recipe for alzheimers, schizophrenia and dementia IMO. it's mis-used imagination.
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• YUEHUA
      • Sep 2006

cool even in China it's not Legal.

Comment

• btcg
        Mail Payments To Me
        • Sep 2006

Originally Posted by LT. Columbo
        never happen.

File this in the "not quite" department.

Not sure if the group is aware of the ruling below.

Simply put...there were many TV's & video devices manufactured and sold over the last decade that simply ignore digital protection schemes. Hollywood wanted not only to demand that digital protection schemes must be respected by home entertainment/video devices, but also to, in an expostfacto manner, outlaw devices currently and previously sold that ignored their copy protection schemes. One of the aspects of this ruling was that those devices(of which I own several) that ignore their protection schemes were declared fully legal. Furthermore, should a future law overturn this, these devices (per FCC regulation) would have to be "grandfathered".

In case you, the reader, is/are not aware of these type devices, an interesting site tells you about them : http://nerd-out.com/

Check out the message boards. Many of these devices are still being sold, and many of the players can be found used quite cheaply.

Of course, since they do not respect (or pass) digital protection schemes, the Sony-Betamax ruling of Fair-Use applies to copies made from them for temporary, personal use.

Below is the announcement of the ruling, and I have attached a full size copy you can save and/or print.

Hope this helps!

Attached Files

Comment

• LT. Columbo
          Demigod of Digital Video
          • Nov 2004

an episode of columbo is called "try and catch me"

nuff said. who i BORROW my media for simple viewing is nobody's business than mine.

"You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun."

Al Capone
          "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
          Columbo moments...
          "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
          "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
          (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• btcg
            Mail Payments To Me
            • Sep 2006

Originally Posted by LT. Columbo
            an episode of columbo is called "try and catch me"

nuff said. who i BORROW my media for simple viewing is nobody's business than mine.

"You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun."

Al Capone
            In fact, you need not own the copy...hence the reason one can legally keep his fav Columbo on his Tivo(and example of one of these devices) for as long as he/she likes.

Comment

• toomanycats
              Digital Video Expert
              Digital Video Expert
              • Apr 2005

Copying own CD's should be legal

This article was interesting. If England went that route it would make much software available for the rest of the world. (Not that it isn't already.)

Comment

• brakeonthroo
                • May 2008

Netflix is pretty money
                Matt

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡