X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bensboss8
    • Jun 2004

External-Internal Laptop burner

Odd question this:

Is it possible to connect a standard burner (Pioneer 110 in my case), directly to the IDE connection where a laptop's optical drive would live?

I have a Thinkpad T40 with a CDRW/DVDROM combo in its drive bay.
    I took advice (from here) a while back and got a decent external enclosure and run a Pioneer 110 in it - USB2 connection as T40 has no Firewire.
    The 110 performs pretty well but does produce coasters.
    I never get any failed burns from my desktop PC (also with a 110).

I am wondering if I can use a suitably adapted IDE ribbon to connect a 110 to my T40 (via the drive bay - with the standard laptop combo removed).
    I know IDE adaptors are readily available to use a laptop drive in a desktop.

I'm told that laptop/desktop IDE interfaces are the same and it is just the connectors that differ - obviously the laptop is compact - so, in theory, it should be possible.
    If I could do it, would the power requirements of a 110 be too much fo the laptop - could I provide external power?

Has anyone tried this (or similar) before?
    I know it seems like a crazy ask but failed burns from the USB2 110 are annoying when the same drive on the desktops IDE performs faultlessly.
  • sonic_emperor
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Mar 2003

why do you want to burn with your laptop so badly,if desktop works well?i mean if purpose of laptop is portability,then,you should carry around a standard burner with it...ha ha,that would be funny...
    although im also interested if this what you plan would work....
    cro-anthem-video

Comment

• NightTran
      Emperor of Digital Video
      Emperor of Digital Video
      • Aug 2005

you can burn with lap top and external burner but you have to delete almost every thing and not thing but software burning and it
      sigpic

Comment

• bensboss8
        • Jun 2004

Not sure I understand your rep, NightTran?!? I can (and do burn) from my laptop and external burner. I am usually successful but ALSO get coasters.

I use a laptop (sometimes) for the same reasons anyone does - I can take it with me.

I work shifts and often have quiet night shifts when I can 'pop in' and keep my laptop at-it.

I get approx 15-20% coasters from the laptop.

All the above is largely irrelevant.

Point is: can ya do it and has anyone done it?
        Might be impractical/imposible but it's an idea.....

Comment

• NightTran
          Emperor of Digital Video
          Emperor of Digital Video
          • Aug 2005

I did it before I bought my real destop, burnslow at 4x or even lower, you may have a hard time finding good slower media to burn with, I had sony 720ul if that help at all ( usb external is almost the same), no multitasking, nomessenger of any kind , internet..... I mean everything is for burning that is what I mean
          sigpic

Comment

• maximaking
            • Mar 2006

I would think you should be able to find a good slim sline burner to swap out with your factory burner in your IBM. A regular slimline burner own't look just like the factory IBM with the contoured bezel but it should work just fine. I plan on doing this same thing myself. If you wish I will post pictures with results.

Comment

• Chewy
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2003

What is relevant is the coaster problem with your laptop, it will also affect what you are trying to do if it's even possible to get all the adapters and
              they were to work.

Comment

Working...