Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Burner Going Bad?

Default Burner Going Bad?

Hello all. I have a Plextor 708-A that has seen extensive use the past couple of years. Have always used Ritek -Rs with never a problem. Recently I have encountered a couple of bad burns that will skip and/or freeze. Upon close examination of my most recent bad burn I noticed what looks like faint rings of alternating color. In other words the burned portion of the disc is not uniform and the very narrow faint rings I am seeing are closer to the color of the unburned portion of the disk. I have had subsequent successful burns from the same batch of discs. My question is - do I have a bad batch of discs or is the burner failing?

Demigod of Digital Video

it is completely possible it is the media. can you tell us the media ID? i had some ritek g05's (which are known to be problematic) and a few also produced the same rings you describe.
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

I'm with LT on this one, the cheapest troubleshooting route would be to try another brand of discs rather than buying a new drive. Not by much though as the price of drives is about on par with a 100 disc spindle of blanks.

Thanks for the quick reply. They are indeed Ritek GO5s. I used to use the GO4s but have found them in short supply recently and found a good price on the GO-5s, even though I always burn at 4x. Not all the GO5s produce rings and most of the ones that do are still playable.Will try to find the GO4s again. Have never had a problem with them. Why do the GO5s produce rings and what exactly are they?

The rings are just an effect of defective dye.

Any recommendations on a different brand? I have found Riteks to be compatable with every stand-alone player that they have been played in and I hate to switch. BTW the GO5s in question are -Rs Do the +Rs have the same problem?

Verbatims are top notch and widely available. Taiyo Yuden, Sony, Fuji, and Maxell are also excellent if made in Japan.

Demigod of Digital Video

I believe it to be either format of the g05's. i can suggest sony or verbatim media as an alternative though
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Thanks for the recommendations and all your help. You probably saved me the cost of a new burner which was the first thing I thought of. I'll switch if I can't find any more GO4s.

King of Digital Video
    King of Digital Video

Quote Originally Posted by vprmatrix
    Thanks for the recommendations and all your help. You probably saved me the cost of a new burner which was the first thing I thought of. I'll switch if I can't find any more GO4s.
    you may still checking newburner that are onsale , before you real burner broke

Thread Information