• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Huskerfan
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • May 2005

Are MCC 03RG20 good discs?

Pretty much says it all. They are SL discs I bought for about $.30 apiece.

Any opinions?
    Husker Nation is Strong!

See the weather where I am at!http://members.cox.net/weatheromaha/weather

My home theater pictures!
    http://members.cox.net/gipper3/hometheater
  • blutach
    Not a god of digital video
    • Oct 2004

These are the Verbs Datawrite/Philips right 16x? They are excellent - but I still don't burn that fast

Regards
    Last edited by blutach; 27 Mar 2006, 02:53 PM.
    Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
    [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• Huskerfan
      Gold Member
      Gold Member
      • May 2005

Yep, Blutach. You kept pounding it in our heads to buy Verbatims. I swear you own stock in the company or something. But I wasn't sure if these were knockoffs or the real deal. I only ran one test so far and it errored out towards the end to score a 70. Otherwise most the way through it was over 90.
      Husker Nation is Strong!

Comment

• geno888
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Dec 2005

MCC03RG20 is the so-called "Mediacode", but there are more companies that produce media with this mediacode. Verbatim are the best, but verbatim is not the only "brand" that sell media with this mediacode.

Brand and mediacode are different thing. Brand is written on the box, and mediacode is written in the disc (too bad never visible without opening the box and inserting a disc on a burner).

If you buy verbatim media, you buy always good media, except if you buy the so-called "Pearl White" series, because they actually are ritek media (low quality).

So if your MCC03RG20 media are from verbatim, they are good media. In my personal experience I found that also Philips branded MCC03RG20 media are very good: my liteon 1693 burn these media with very good quality (actually it write philips media better than verbatim ones).

Comment

• Huskerfan
          Gold Member
          Gold Member
          • May 2005

O.K. Here's a stupid question. Just cause they're labeled 16x can't I control the speed with my software? and burn at a much lower speed? I normally use Nero to burn cause I'm not sure how to burn with Imgburn without it being in iso form.
          Husker Nation is Strong!

Comment

• sonic_emperor
            Digital Video Expert
            Digital Video Expert
            • Mar 2003

offcourse,thats the certified max speed...
            cro-anthem-video

Comment

• geno888
              Digital Video Master
              Digital Video Master
              • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by Huskerfan
              O.K. Here's a stupid question. Just cause they're labeled 16x can't I control the speed with my software? and burn at a much lower speed? I normally use Nero to burn cause I'm not sure how to burn with Imgburn without it being in iso form.
              Burning speed are written in firmwares. With your burning softwares you can select burning speed only between speeds written in firmware.

For example, in the image I posted, firmware states that this disc can be burned only @ 4x and 8x. Usually burning softwares read on firmware available speeds, and let the user to select a speed, but again only between available speeds as stated in firmware.

I suggest you to not select a speed too much distant from max certified speed of the media. In my experience, burning a 16x certified media @4x give bad results. This is not an absolute rule, but in most of cases burning a 16x media @4x give bad results.

The only way to find optimal burning speed is doing experimentations. I know that this is ugly, but it's the only way.
              Attached Files

Comment

• A_T
                • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by geno888
                Burning speed are written in firmwares. With your burning softwares you can select burning speed only between speeds written in firmware.

For example, in the image I posted, firmware states that this disc can be burned only @ 4x and 8x. Usually burning softwares read on firmware available speeds, and let the user to select a speed, but again only between available speeds as stated in firmware.
                Unless you have a BenQ or a newer Lite-On in which case you can burn at faster than the stated speeds.

Comment

• geno888
                  Digital Video Master
                  Digital Video Master
                  • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by A_T
                  Unless you have a BenQ or a newer Lite-On in which case you can burn at faster than the stated speeds.
                  Correct

I forgot to mention also this

But not all drives do allow overspeed. It's also firmware related. Anyway, overspeed give good results only with high quality media. In my experience, only taiyo yuden discs give good results. Some verbatim batches give good results, but until now I never find one of these

Comment

• Huskerfan
                    Gold Member
                    Gold Member
                    • May 2005

And in your opinions am I better off burning with a Sony 510 drive or a TSST (samsung TS H552B) drive? I have heard on here that the Samsung is a crappy drive.
                    Husker Nation is Strong!

Comment

• geno888
                      Digital Video Master
                      Digital Video Master
                      • Dec 2005

Until now I saw only bad results from samsung drives**. I don't know if it's due to a poor firmware support. Anyway I have no personal experience with Samsung drives; I only saw results on CDFreaks.

Again, too bad , the only way to answer is to do a try with both drives and see what give better results.

You can use your Sony drive to do scans (if I'm not wrong, it's a rebadged liteon, and liteon drives are among the most reliable scanners).

** I must say also that I'm rather picky about burning results

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                        NOT an online superstore
                        • Oct 2005

I have a H552U and it has worked great!
                        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                        Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
                        My DVD Collection

Comment

• maxknott
                          • Sep 2007

i just bought 3 spindles of these, sold as IOMEGA x16 -r
                          for $17AU each pack, in australia that is a very good price for
                          quality media.
                          for comparison ty oem's sell for $27.50

Comment

• Chewy
                            Super Moderator
                            • Nov 2003

Originally Posted by maxknott
                            i just bought 3 spindles of these, sold as IOMEGA x16 -r
                            for $17AU each pack, in australia that is a very good price for
                            quality media.
                            for comparison ty oem's sell for $27.50
                            I wonder if there is any connection with Verbatim/MKM for those disks, they seem to be just from downunder

made in Tawain, white?

Comment

• BR7
                              He is coming to your little town!
                              • Aug 2005

Originally Posted by Huskerfan
                              Pretty much says it all. They are SL discs I bought for about $.30 apiece.

Any opinions?
                              I posted scans for those not that long ago Here is the link

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎