Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: FYI: Turn off automatic scans before burning!

Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video

Exclamation FYI: Turn off automatic scans before burning!

Today at 2:57PM, I started burning a disc at 4X. At 3:00PM, my spyware started scanning my drives for spyware, etc. In the scan image, look at the nice high spike about 300MB into the burn! Before the spike, I had 2 PIFs. After the spike, I had 497 PIFs!!!

I feel like this:

That's a bummer!
    "Wanted in 14 counties of this state. The condemned is found guilty of the crimes of murder, armed robbery of citizens, state banks and post offices, the theft of sacred objects, arson in a state prison, purgery, bigamy, deserting his wife and children, inciting prostitution, kidnapping, extortion, receiving stolen goods, selling stolen goods, passing counterfeit money, and contrary to the laws of this state, the condemned is guilty of using marked cards...therefore according to the powers vested in us, we sentence the accused here before us Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Ramirez also known as the Rat and any other aliases he may have to hang by the neck until dead."

Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master

You can reduce this errors also setting priority as "high" or "realtime" in cd-dvd speed options.

Anyway, I suggest also to check your disc: sometimes happen that a little of dust create similar spikes of PIF errors (I read similar things many times on CDFreaks)

Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video

You can reduce this errors also setting priority as "high" or "realtime" in cd-dvd speed options.
    Is this only for CD/DVD Speed or all programs? Would it not be better to set the priority to high in Task Manager?

Does your drive not have BURP?
    No, it has "Ultrabuffer" for its "BURP"!! This requires the CPU to manage. When something else starts up, it screws up the Ultrabuffer because the new program is requesting RAM

Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master

Quote Originally Posted by GD8ck
    Is this only for CD/DVD Speed or all programs? Would it not be better to set the priority to high in Task Manager?
    You can set priority also with task manager, but latest version allow to do directly from program preferences.

Also other burning softwares theoretically should be advantaged setting priority as high, but I never did such try. Some processes in windows need to have a higher priority at all, so maybe is better avoid to give high priority to all processes with task manager.

I already did tests with cd-dvd speed, and it works without problems, but I have two HD, one for OS and the other for data. Usually I burn from data HD, whereas anti-spyware software scan only OS HD. If you have only one HD, setting priority as "high" probably will give no advantages because anti-spyware softwares have many disc accesses, and is this that slow burnings causing errors, not process priority.

I hope that this post is not too confused (sometimes my english is not so good )

Super Moderator

bad disk, coincidence

started an 8x burn and during burn for ~ 20% of the time I started playing a dvd file from hard in same folder as source of burn, then did disk transfers between hard drives and surfed, other 80% I just did light surfing.

Last edited by Chewy; 30 Mar 2006 at 10:43 AM

Thread Information