Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davidhunter
    • Apr 2006

DVD creation problem from recorder to PC help

Hi new to the forum so hello. Had to join as I hope someone much more knowledgable out there will be able to help me with a problem I have.

I put my wedding video from VHS onto a DVD-RW using a panasonic recorder of a friends at the weekend. I made sure I put the correct settings on RW etc. and not DVD-RAM as I know panasonic supports this format. The video was 2h and 1 min. The DVD was 2h long but did not stop and appeared to fit on ok.
    Once I stopped the recording it asked me if I wanted to finalise the DVD did that everything ok.
    Took out DVD and put it back in and it played ok.
    Got home tried it in my sony DVD player (a good few years old now) and it said no disc. Thought it was an age problem so put it in my PC which has a new DVD burner and it says there is no free space and no used space on the disc. You open up the disc and there is no information. The file format under properties (I think) says RAW.

I put it into nero 7 premium and no data came up but I hit record and put a TDK DVD-R into the drive and it seemed to record something but again I could not see any data on the disc although it went through a lead in, record phase and lead out phase.

Anyone know where I am going wrong and what I should do to correct this so I can play the DVD either on PC or my player ?

Also tried it on DVDShrink but again no information seemed to appear. Just seems weird that I can put it back into the DVD recorder and it plays fine.

Its at another friends house tonight to try it in his DVD recorder so will see if he has any joy, but in the mean time any help much appreciated.

Davy
  • davidhunter
    • Apr 2006

Still cant get this sorted anyone any ideas ?

Comment

• photo_angel2004
      Queen of Digital Video
      Queen of Digital Video
      • Jan 2004

Are yu sure you didnt earase what was on that disc a dvd-rw is rewritable

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

• davidhunter
        • Apr 2006

no checked it and it still plays in the original DVD recorder, so the data is still there, but plays on nothing else. I am wondering if the finalisation process or something like that did not work. Tried it in other makes of DVD recorder and it does not work. Its really odd. The original DVD recorder was the new panasonic DMRES15 I think it was called.

Anymore help much appreciated.

Davy

Comment

• photo_angel2004
          Queen of Digital Video
          Queen of Digital Video
          • Jan 2004

do you still have the VHS it was taken from

Comment

• photo_angel2004
            Queen of Digital Video
            Queen of Digital Video
            • Jan 2004

if you still have the VHS tape that this video was taken from you may want to consider a capturing device and rip the video from the vhs to your pc then convert the files to a dvd compatable file format.
            Last edited by photo_angel2004; 8 Apr 2006, 07:09 PM.

Comment

• Chewy
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2003

I am way over my head here, but finalizing a disk takes space, just like writting a lead out on a normal dvd, since you pushed the time?
              which mode did you use?
              xp or sp?

Comment

• photo_angel2004
                Queen of Digital Video
                Queen of Digital Video
                • Jan 2004

The stand alone dvd recorders record in some kind of weird file formats that is not compatable with other players. I have a freind that had bought one and they no longer use it. That is why I sugested ripping the video to your hard drive on your computer and take it from there.

Comment

• davidhunter
                  • Apr 2006

Might have to do that angel would then have to buy a capture card etc. for my PC though which I could do or maybe just keep the video until I buy my own DVD recorder or better still wait until Blue Ray and DVD HD come out later this year mind you its back to the format wars isnt it.

Maybe I pushed too much onto the disc, I did record it in standard play and it said you would get 120min on the disc I put on 121 min before I pressed stop.

Thanks again

Davy

Comment

• FrankC
                    • May 2005

My guess it's the recorder.

I have a Philips, I can record up to 6 hours on a standard DVD+RW and 11 hours on a DL DVD +RW. It does say however that to play on another DVD player the disk has to be finalized first. I have found this not to be the case. Anything I record I can also play on my SHARP standalone and also on my PC, indeed I sometimes record from the TV to the Philips then put the files on the PC to edit out adverts etc and then re author onto a standard DVD disk.

I would concur what photoangel has said, get a capture card and take it straight off the VHS into the PC edit it, play about with it, and end up with something better than you started with, you'll also learn a lot. The cost of a capture card about £10 or $18, small price to pay .

Good luck with it

Frank
                    Part of my DVD collection
                    http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcoll...aspx/frankcass

Comment

• photo_angel2004
                      Queen of Digital Video
                      Queen of Digital Video
                      • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by davidhunter
                      Might have to do that angel would then have to buy a capture card etc. for my PC though which I could do or maybe just keep the video until I buy my own DVD recorder or better still wait until Blue Ray and DVD HD come out later this year mind you its back to the format wars isnt it.

Maybe I pushed too much onto the disc, I did record it in standard play and it said you would get 120min on the disc I put on 121 min before I pressed stop.

Thanks again

Davy
                      In the long run I think you will be happy with a capturing device.
                      You dont have to have a capture card I dont have one. I have a device called the Dazzle, it hooks up to a camcorder or VCR and plug into a USB port on your computer. Rips video from the cam or vcr to your pc. They run about $60.00 I love mine.

P.S. It is also more work to rip and convert the files but the end results are impressive. My mother had this old camcorder that when recored from the 8mm cam tapes to vhs the picture and sound quality sucked when I ripped the video from the cam to my hard drive and converted the files the DVD are nice great picture and sound.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎