• Show
Clear All
  • codajohn
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Jul 2005

External Burners

I have found the following External Burners from the following sites:
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns URL="http://www.meritline.com/nec-nd-3550a-with-usb-enclosure.htmlUSB"]http://www.meritline.com/nec-nd-3550a-with-usb-enclosure.html[/B]USB[/URL] 2.0

External NEC ND-3550A 8X Dual Layer 16X DVD Burner (OEM Bare Drive), BlackSale $62.95 +Shipping $9.76=$72.71<o></o>
    2)http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827136081

LG Black USB 2.0 External DVD Burner With 5X DVD-RAM Write Model GSA-2164D - Retail-Sale Price $96.99 No Shipping Charge

I couldn't find an external Benq model.

CD Freaks mentioned buying an internal model and an external bay. "Make your own." Since there are more internal models available, would this be a better alternative to buying an external out of the box?

I would appreciate your comments, suggestions or any alternatives you may have. I would be running an external burner off my lapxp. Could I run the external burner off my 98se?

Thanks
    CJ
    Last edited by codajohn; 9 Apr 2006, 03:18 AM.
    CJ
    My DVD Collection
    Register To Join Digital Video Forums

Dell Inspiron 9100 Laptop, Windows XP Home SP 2 (build 2600), 2.80GH Pent 4, ST94811A 40GB HD, 2GB RAM, NEC DVD+RW ND-6100A 104D, ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9700, External 250GB Maxtor HD, External LG-5163D A105

IBM ThinkCenter 8189, XP Pro, 3.2GH Pentium 4, 120 GB HD, 1GB Ram, BENQ DW1650 BCIC, Nvidia GeForce FX 5200, Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

The Golden Rules of Burning
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

they offer a lot of cheap crap, watch out, but this looks like a quality clearnance product as it's an old model but very good

probably got the G firmware and would have to be crossflashed to B to scan?

Comment

• codajohn
      Digital Video Expert
      Digital Video Expert
      • Jul 2005

Wow a Benq. I would only be buying a burner. Nothing else.

I forgot to put the site of the NEC-ND-3550A 8X Dual Layer 16X DVD Burner (OEM Bare Drive), Black

I guess I'm asking, Chewy, which of the four do you think I should I buy?
      Thank you,
      CJ
      Last edited by codajohn; 9 Apr 2006, 04:26 AM.
      CJ
      My DVD Collection

Dell Inspiron 9100 Laptop, Windows XP Home SP 2 (build 2600), 2.80GH Pent 4, ST94811A 40GB HD, 2GB RAM, NEC DVD+RW ND-6100A 104D, ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9700, External 250GB Maxtor HD, External LG-5163D A105

IBM ThinkCenter 8189, XP Pro, 3.2GH Pentium 4, 120 GB HD, 1GB Ram, BENQ DW1650 BCIC, Nvidia GeForce FX 5200, Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

the meritline is a homemade job in a cheap case with bad chipset and no optimized external firmware,

I'd gamble on the lg external refurbished, that's a combo usb2/firewire drive
        in a premium case with excellent firmware support, those drives sell for over 100-120$, PROBABLY GOT FREE SHIPPING ALSO

the benq I found usb2 only has scanning firmware

Comment

• codajohn
          Digital Video Expert
          Digital Video Expert
          • Jul 2005

Chewy,
          What can I say? You the Man! I was leaning twards the Lg because of the combo usb2/firewire.
          I installed a firewire card on my 98se a few years back. I was trying to convince my wife to buy a digital video camera. Now I can use it. The lap has both.
          Thank you,
          CJ
          CJ
          My DVD Collection

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

I got my asus a8v deluxe mobo refurb for 47$, they sold for about 150$ when they first came out, the refurbs go for over 70$ now, I can't resist a gamble,
            if it's bad rma it!

Comment

• codajohn
              Digital Video Expert
              Digital Video Expert
              • Jul 2005

I ordered it! No shipping!
              Sorry I forgot to ask. Should I use, USB or Firewire?
              Thanks Chewy
              Last edited by codajohn; 9 Apr 2006, 05:55 AM.
              CJ
              My DVD Collection

Comment

• Chewy
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2003

Should I use, USB or Firewire?
                both are resource and cpu/system intensive, if you have a few usb devices already in use, I would definitely use the firewire, some usb2 chips can
                keep up with 12x rips or burns, most do not. It would be good to test,
                just try read test with cdspeed, the LG will be slow and accurate anyway.
                The LG's burn faster than any burner tho, firewire is usually much faster.
                I would test each at 12x just to see what works best then back down the speed to 4x or 8x depending on how good your media is and how optimized your computer is.

Comment

• codajohn
                  Digital Video Expert
                  Digital Video Expert
                  • Jul 2005

Thanks Chewy!
                  CJ
                  My DVD Collection

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

“The worlds fastest DVD-Writer, which also offers good quality. But stay away from unknown disc types with this drive.”

Comment

• codajohn
                      Digital Video Expert
                      Digital Video Expert
                      • Jul 2005

Thank Chewy for the spec link.
                      I noticed that there are items that may or may not be shipped with the burner due to being an OEM.
                      This is what the Retail bundle consists of:

The drive itself
                      Program installation CD (Nero 6 Express and Cyberlink Power DVD and Power Producer)
                      Manual
                      Software quick guide
                      Power supply
                      Power cable
                      USB 2.0 cable
                      Firewire cable

Is it traditional not to send these items? I knew about the "Does not include software" because it was advertised that way. I didn't read the fine print ,"OEM products may or may not include accessories such as manuals, software, etc." I e-mailed them today to cancel the order if these other items are omitted from the burner package. I'll be calling as well. Seems like having to buy all the different cords wouldn't make the price all that great. Should I be worried?
                      Thanks CJ
                      CJ
                      My DVD Collection

Comment

• Chewy
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2003

cables are the only thing that I would want, software would probably be obsolete.

My refurb mobo came bare, but I was prepared, had researched it for over a month, even how to overclock, which was why I chose it.

Comment

• codajohn
                          Digital Video Expert
                          Digital Video Expert
                          • Jul 2005

I really didn't care about the software.
                          The cables could be a bit expensive. I had researched burner quality but I didn't realize there was a separate OEM category potentially omitting accessories (cables).
                          If it doesn't come with the cables, back it goes.
                          Thanks,
                          CJ
                          Last edited by codajohn; 10 Apr 2006, 08:23 AM.
                          CJ
                          My DVD Collection

Comment

• codajohn
                            Digital Video Expert
                            Digital Video Expert
                            • Jul 2005

I called.
                            Yes!!!!! It comes with all the cables.
                            I will have to get the instructions from the link Chewy gave me.
                            No problems.
                            CJ
                            CJ
                            My DVD Collection

Comment

• codajohn
                              Digital Video Expert
                              Digital Video Expert
                              • Jul 2005

I just burned a disk with my new external LG-5163D. Verified disk. I went to run CD Speed and Info tool and neither recognize the burner. The burner is on a firewire. DVDD recognized it just fine.
                              Any reason for this problem?
                              CJ
                              CJ
                              My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎