Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • divuer
    • Apr 2006

Standalone DVD Recorders

Which standalone DVD Recorders have you used and what has been your experience?

I have tried a JVC DR-MV5S and a Panasonic DMR-ES40VS, both VHS/DVD combo units. While I lean towards the JVC I am not convinced since it is unable to record the Closed Captioning (or line 21 data). Currently these units are on sale due to "end of model year" and the price is very attractive. Curious to know what your user experiences have been.
  • photo_angel2004
    Queen of Digital Video
    Queen of Digital Video
    • Jan 2004

I personally would stay away from them at all costs.

They do not record in dvd compatable formats and they can only be played on the recorder you buy.

Buy a DVD burner for your computer. Better.

That is just what I think about them other people may have different views.

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

• divuer
      • Apr 2006

Originally Posted by photo_angel2004

They do not record in dvd compatable format and they can only be played on the recorder you buy.
      Your statement is true only if you record in VR mode but if you record in Video Mode, once your disk is finalized, you are able to play it on any DVD player!

Comment

• photo_angel2004
        Queen of Digital Video
        Queen of Digital Video
        • Jan 2004

I personally think that a dvd burner on the computer is a better way to go.

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

• bill7621
          It could be worse.
          • Jun 2005

I have a Go-Video VR4940 and have no problems with it. I record in video mode and it'll play on anything I've stuck 'em in so far. If the recording is to be a keeper, I'll rip it to my hardrive and remove the generic menu they stick on it, keeping only the programming I want. Everything I record, I put on RW's, because it's either not the final product or I just wanted to timeshift. By the way, the ripped file shows up as LG 590M. I like the unit and would be kind of lost without it. If I were to get another, I'd get one with the built in hard drive. I'm not sure if any are available in combo units though and that's what I needed.
          Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed!

Comment

• jm1647
            An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
            • Apr 2005

I've had a LiteOn LVW-5005 for about a year and a half. Love it. The latest fw is supposed to record CC but I never tried it 'cause the MV hacks out there don't work with it. I have a replacement burner (LiteOn 1693s) in it that bitsets to DVD-ROM and nobody has had a problem playing them. The MV hack allows ya to back up your DVD's (movie only) or whatever plays that you can't do on a PC due to bad pressing, scratches etc. If it plays it gets recorded. Same for MV protected VHS tapes you own that you want to back up.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎