Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/bbcode/url.php on line 2 Notice: str_replace(): Passing null to parameter #3 ($subject) of type array|string is deprecated in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/string.php on line 3 Slow Burner Problem Any Ideas? - Digital Video Forums

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slow Burner Problem Any Ideas?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MAXIMUS01CAN
    • Dec 2003

Slow Burner Problem Any Ideas?

Howdy,

I'm using Nero Burning Rom SE 6.6.0.1.8 and my old sony burner that I've been chugging along with for years, but it seems to be taking way longer to burn at 4X than it used to. Everything looks fine as the pic shows, but it always seemed to take around 15ish min to do a 4.7G disc at 4X, but now it seems to be taking alot longer. As I type it's looking like 77% complete and 42:37 already burnt up time wise. Checked out the DMA etc and all is good there, any ideas? I'll reboot and try again, but something seems a little off. The box is Win XP home, 1.7Ghz, 756Mb Ram, processor is only running at around 13% and using 348MB pf usage with nero burning.

Thanks in advance for any help

Cheers,
    Max
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MAXIMUS01CAN; 17 Apr 2006, 06:38 AM.
  • geno888
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Dec 2005

Can you do a burning with cd-dvd speed? In this way you can see graphically what happen during the burning process.

You can find latest version here

cd-dvd speed is very informative. Take a look at this attached example: the red arrow indicate a spike in CPU usage during a burn, that caused a spike of PIF errors in scan (sorry I don't have scan to post because I deleted pic )
    Attached Files

Comment

• MAXIMUS01CAN
      • Dec 2003

Burn Results

Okay, this is what I'm getting from burning a backup ISO of one of my titles. Looks like it's only burning at 1X even though 4X is chosen??? Not sure what that's about but any ideas would be appreicated. I've included the pics of the graph data.

Cheers,
      Max
      Attached Files

Comment

• vivadante
        • Apr 2006

Hi,

some time ago I had the same problem with a brand new burner (16X) burning at something between 3X and 4X but giving me false stats about doing ok at full possible speed.

There are two solutions that are likeley to help you too (one did it for me):

1. Check wether there's a new firmware for your device (if so, refer to the 'how to' or manual that should be found on the manufacturers download page first. Try to install it.

2. (That's is what helped in my case) If 1. doesn't help, disconnect the device. Boot your comp without it. Shut it down again and reconnect your burner. Let Windows find it again. See what happens.

Maybe there's a FAQ or Troubleshooting Guides at the manufacturer's site as well. Sometimes those can help too.

Good luck!

Comment

• geno888
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Dec 2005

From the pic it appear thet your CPU went crazy in the second half of the burning. Do you use some software while burning?

As suggested by vivadante, check if it's available a new firmware. Check also if DMA is enabled (take a look here). Sometimes windows revert in PIO mode without any warning for the user.

Comment

• MAXIMUS01CAN
            • Dec 2003

I'm not sure what was going on with the processer there in the second half of the burn, but I don't think this burn speed is CPU related, although I would like to find out what's running in the background that would cause it to be jumping around like that. Just seems strange that this has happened with an internal burner since I moved the box from on location to another in the house. Nothing has changed in the DMA settings, still DMA Ultra Mode 2 on both. I'll check out the firmware update and install and try vivandante's suggestion. Maybe I'll post a burn log as well and see if anyone see's anything in there that's obvious. Just seems real strange that this internal burner has been chugging along for so long and now decideds not to burn at max speed which is 4X on this burner. It still burns perfect, but it takes a frigging hour to burn a DVD now instead of 15 min.

Cheers,
            Max
            Last edited by MAXIMUS01CAN; 17 Apr 2006, 10:29 PM.

Comment

• Chewy
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2003

maybe a bad flash or corrupted firmware. might try a reflash from safe mode

ritekG05's go bad just sitting there waiting to be burned??????????

Comment

• MAXIMUS01CAN
                • Dec 2003

It could very well be something happened to the firmware?? Flash from safe mode? Forgive my ignorance but what's the upside of that? Also maybe I'll try a different disc as I have another manufacturer's media and that would at least eliminate the possiblilty of it being the media.

Cheers,
                Max

Comment

• Chewy
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2003

Flash from safe mode? Forgive my ignorance but what's the upside of that?
                  eliminates funky ide drivers, crap loading at normal startup, etc
                  old method was from a squeaky clean pure dos mode
                  BE SAFE NOT SORRY

Comment

• MAXIMUS01CAN
                    • Dec 2003

Just a note, went home and tried burning a maxell DVD-R 4.7G and it burned twice as fast. The burn was completed in just under 30 min. Still seems awful slow for 4x burning, but it's 2x as fast as the 60 min burns using the ritekG05's???? I've included the burn log. The flash link from chewy was always timing out so I went to Sony and downloaded the latest firmware 510a_11a. I think this is the same firmware I loaded ages ago, but I'll give it a shot again.

Cheers,
                    Max

Comment

• Gary D
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Dec 2005

Hi Max

First of all, let us do a regedit trick to show Nero's 6 actual burning speed. This trick comes courteous Nosmartz at CD Freaks: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread....3&page=5&pp=25

Re: Nero TIP : Show actual write speed !
                      start new notepad document, paste the following text into it:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Ahead\Nero - Burning Rom\Recorder]
                      "ShowSingleRecorderSpeed"=dword:00000001

save it as showspeed.reg, make sure to change it from .txt in the drop down box below the save line

If you want it already done for you,I've included it below.Just change the .txt extention to .reg....double click it and hit yes-then ok and you should be cool.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Gary D; 18 Apr 2006, 11:31 AM.
                      Gary D

Comment

• Gary D
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • Dec 2005

Now 2nd of all, let us attach a Nero burn log to a reply. Read the thread here:

Gary D

Comment

• MAXIMUS01CAN
                          • Dec 2003

Okay GD8ck, just a little more info. I downloaded the firmware update for the sony DRU-510A and installed. When I went to install the firmware was the same as what was in the drive but I updated anyway. I'm just in the middle of a burn as we speak and it looks as if it didn't make any difference. I'm at 77% complete and 36 minutes into the burn so that didn't help. I've completed the regedit thing you mentioned above. Now do I need to complete a burn after this regedit was performed or can I post a log from a previous burn?

Cheers,
                          Max

Comment

• MAXIMUS01CAN
                            • Dec 2003

Another Note, I went to find the nero log files, but the C:/ProgramFiles/Ahead/Nero/NeroHistory.log folder doesn't exist on my root drive?? I've included a pic of the structure but I saved the log from the most recent burn just completed and I'll attatch that as well.

Cheers,
                            Max
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by MAXIMUS01CAN; 18 Apr 2006, 12:47 PM.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                              Demigod of Digital Video
                              • Nov 2004

Originally Posted by MAXIMUS01CAN
                              Another Note, I went to find the nero log files, but the C:/ProgramFiles/Ahead/Nero/NeroHistory.log folder doesn't exist on my root drive?? I've included a pic of the structure.

Cheers,
                              Max
                              sure it does, access from my computer next time

"One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
                              Columbo moments...
                              "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
                              "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
                              (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎