Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: What Media To Use DVD-R or +R or DVD+R DL???

Digital Video Technician
    Digital Video Technician

Default What Media To Use DVD-R or +R or DVD+R DL???

I came across something a little surprising the other day. I always buy DVD-R from Maxell or Fuji and have had no problems with them. I watched a movie that a friend loaned me and it was a Memorex DVD+R disk and the movie played fine. Here is the funny thing, according to my Panasonic 5 disk DVD players manual it will only play DVD-R or DVD-RAM. I contacted Panasonic a year ago asking which burnable disks play best in a Panasonic player since I didnít want to buy a spindle and discover the brand wouldnít be very compatible. They told me Maxell, Fuji, Verbatim brands but they must be DVD-R format.

I am now considering DVD+R DL disks since I see my player will play a DVD+R disk will it play a DVD+R DL disk? Any suggestions for what brand of DL disks to buy. Memorex seems to get no respect since they are CMC Magnetics but are their DL disks made by this same manufacture? I canít check a DVD for myself since all my burning is done at my sisterís house with her computer.

Thanks in advance.
    AV

Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video

A few questions;

What type and model of DVD burner do you have??

What is the model number/name of the Panasonic player??

Have you ever heard of bitsetting??

Digital Video Technician
    Digital Video Technician

Default Never herd of bitt setting

Gary, I am unsure of the brand of burner in my sisters computer I know it is a 1 year old Dell system P4 and I know that her burner is a DL burner. My Panasonic DVD player is about 2 years old and the model # is DVD-F65 it is the 5 disk DVD player.

Can I ask you why you are considering DL? What size of files are you looking at?

Have you ever heard of bitsetting??

Digital Video Technician
    Digital Video Technician

Default Large files

I backed up the extended versions of "The Lord of the rings" all 3 movies and I removed the french audio/subtitles but wanted to keep some of the audio tracks to get the directors/actors commentary. The result was a compression reading of 52% and I am using full disk (Shrink 3.2) since I want everything on the DVD. I do wish I could have eliminated the 21 minutes of credits though. I did the backup with DA and AEC max smooth. The end result is OK on a smaller TV but could be better.

I know the computers Burner is compatible with +R or -R and it will burn to DVD+R DL disks also. I believe it was a Lite on DVD burner, but don't remember the model #.

The DL disk would give me a 1:1 copy with all the audio. My 2 questions are:
    (1) I now know a DVD+R disk will play on my Panasonice DVD-F65 player, will a DVD+R DL disk play on it as well? Eventhough there is no mention of +R being compatible in the manual.

(2) Can you name a good quality DVD+R DL disk brand?

Thanks,
    AV

An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker jm1647's Avatar

I prefer the +R's and bitset them to DVD-ROM for greatest compatability. My 3 players will read -and + R though and I use -R occasionaly.

Digital Video Technician
    Digital Video Technician

Default How to bitset

How do you set a DVD+R to bitset as DVD-ROM? What changes do you make to your system or to the software? I use DVD Decrypter and Shrink 3.2 for backups.

Thanks,
    AV

An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker jm1647's Avatar

Depending on the Lite-On burner, bitsetting can be set permanently or with a program running in the background. My 832S and 1633S would not retain the setting permanently but my 1693s does. LiteOn has a bit.booktype program called booktype135 available http://www.liteonamericas.com/us/download_utility.htm

Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video

Queen of Digital Video
    Queen of Digital Video

Quote Originally Posted by blutach
    Do not use -R dual layer disks - they are very unreliable.

Regards

Why is that? With the single layer I have found the +r to be more compatable with players.

How come the duals arent the same in that way?

Not a god of digital video blutach's Avatar

They have problems with having a variable number of sectors and their layer 0 capacity is variable.

You're not gunna like this, but refer to this thread - especially from post 173.

EDIT: In any event, if you wish to use -R's, do use PgcEdit to make the ISO. See burn dual layer disks safely in my signature.

Regards

Digital Video Technician
    Digital Video Technician

Default Is the DVD-R DL on the market yet?

Thanks for the link to booksetting.

Les, I have read about the DVD-R DL the Verbatim one. I contacted Maxell and they say they have -R DL disk in the works.

How are the verbatim DVD-R's single layer or the Sony DVD-R single layer. I see they are made in Taiwan now also, Maxell is now going to Taiwan, my last Taiwan spindle was RITEK03 though.

AV

Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert

Blutach Thanks for the tip.
    I went to Best Buy last week to pick up Verb's and they were all sold out of -R's but had tons of +R's.
    It's funny how -R's are usually gone, when it was really +R's I should use all along. I use a Lite-ON as well that will burn either.

Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay
    Thanks for the link to booksetting.

How are the verbatim DVD-R's single layer or the Sony DVD-R single layer. I see they are made in Taiwan now also, Maxell is now going to Taiwan, my last Taiwan spindle was RITEK03 though.

Well after two solid days of doing nothing but researching a media problem I am having, I will share a little info on my escapades.

As for the DL DVDs, I have actually only burned four, they were all +R DL, with perfect success. Mainly I only used the +R format because the -R DL are almost impossible to find. I have found that GQ and HP are now selling them. I have used the GQ +R DL (they are the 4 I burned) without a failure. I also used the single layer GQ-R discs and out of the 50 pack I did not have one failure. When I ran out I started using Philips media and had 5 straight failures, they will play partially and then stop on my older player but they do play on my Sony DVD recorder unit, but the GQs always played on everything.

As for the format I believe they both probably work fine, but I do know that if you look at your +R DVDs you will not find the DVD logo, as you will on all the -R DVDs (I believe they were originally made for data only). I went to the store today and found the Sony -R DVDs to be manufactured in Japan still so I bought a hundred or so (also they were on sale), where as the Sony +R DVDs were manufactured in Taiwan. Again I believe both formats are fine, but I use -R because every DVD I have ever made works in every player I have tried from $20 players all the way to a few hundred dollar ones ( except for the ones I recently tried which I contribute to quality control issues rather than the format).
    Last edited by copyless; 27 Apr 2006 at 03:46 PM

Thread Information