X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tom Roman
    • May 2006

How to make a 1 hour video fit on a 4.7 GB DVD

Hello,
    My name is tom. I have a question that I hope can be answered. I am not a computer wiz, but I usually manage to find my way around. I am new to making videos, but have managed to make 3 DVD's. I have just video taped a peak oil conference. I was given permission to film it, if I provided a copy of the (digital video) footage. I used 11, 60 minute digital video cassettes. I thought I would just make DVD's. I have premier 6, downloaded a full tape and exported the movie as microsoft DV AVI. It turned out to be over 11 GB's. How can I make a 1 hour video fit on a 4.7 GB DVD.
    Someone who I respect very much once told me that I could find the answer to anything on line. I do hope I am in the right place. I also thank you very much for any help in advance.
    Can anyone answer in this forum answer this question.
    Just to get the record straight, I have never done this before, I am completely new to this kind of thing.
    Thank you
    Tom
  • benbryant
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Aug 2005

Hi Tom Roman

Welcome to the forum. Since you've have already had the DV AVI files, the next step you need to do is to encode those files into mpeg-2 files with TMPGEnc and then author DVD them with TMPGEnc DVD Author. Please check out LT. Columbo's excellent guide which will show you step by step how to have it done correctly:

After you have everything done and if the file size is too large for a SL DVD disc, just use DVD Shrink to reduce the file size and you'll be on your way to go. Good luck

Regards

Comment

• photo_angel2004
      Queen of Digital Video
      Queen of Digital Video
      • Jan 2004

Hello Tom Roman,

I know what you mean about the large file size the first time I tackled the challenge of converting home video into dvd I was shocked to see 2 hours of video take a bit over 22 gigs myself.

Use that guide that benbryant gave you its a great one and you will be surprized in the final file size. Once it is converted to dvd format you can used dvd shrink to shrink it down but I dont think you will need to.

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

• Tom Roman
        • May 2006

Thank you benbryant and photo angel

I must get to work now, but I will try what you suggest later tonight when I get home. It looks very complicated to me, but I will try to figure it out.
        Thanks again
        Tom

Comment

• photo_angel2004
          Queen of Digital Video
          Queen of Digital Video
          • Jan 2004

Its not as bad as it looks you may want to print that guide out for your first time and go through it page by page. Once you do it you will have it.

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

• Tom Roman
            • May 2006

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I had to work some overtime at my job, so I just started to address the information you have so kindly given me. I am trying to start the process.
            According to “basic AVI to DVD conversion using TMPGEnc+ (including Audio Sync Correction)” I should follow the instructions, which I have decided to. It seems that the free software from. basic Tmpgenc.avi/mpg to DVD conversion only supports MPEG-1 encoding. I bought the full version, TMPGEnc DVD Autor 2.0. I then started to download the other 6 items that were recommended for “Basic AVI to DVD conversion”. Four of the 6 are winzip files. I do not have winzip, should I purchase it in order to open these files, or is there a way around this? I have downloaded all the files except the last one, Virtualdubmod. I went to Virtualdubmod.sourceforge.net. There I found 4 downloads. Do I download all four?
            I also have a question concerning the first image on page 2. Just where does this come form? Under properites, of the video I'm trying to convert in Tmpgenc? And, will cause a problem because in Premiere, under load project settings, descriptions, video settings, there is a frame rate of 29.97. Will this cause a problem?

Comment

• locoeng
              Who Farted?
              • Dec 2005

Any zip program will unzip your file...winrar, winzip etc. most come with a free trial and will do what you want them to do.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It's not fair to you and no challenge for us."
              Walt Kelly

Comment

• Tom Roman
                • May 2006

Thanks locoeng

I will try that today.
                Tom

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢