Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

afraid to change of media.... dvd+r to dvd-r....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mavinx
    • Apr 2006

afraid to change of media.... dvd+r to dvd-r....

whats the difference between the 2. Im asking because the store i get my discs from ran out of the dvd+r and have plenty of dvd-r... is there a reason for that... is one kind generally played in most players than the other?, whats the deal?...
  • soup
    Just Trying To Help
    • Nov 2005

I would search the Forum on this one, there is lots of information out there.

Comment

• photo_angel2004
      Queen of Digital Video
      Queen of Digital Video
      • Jan 2004

DVD-R and DVD-RW
      DVD-R was the first DVD recording format released that was compatible with standalone DVD Players.
      DVD-R is a non-rewriteable format and it is compatible with about 93% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
      DVD-RW is a rewriteable format and it is compatible with about 80% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
      DVD-R and DVD-RW supports single side 4.37 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-5) and double sided 8.75 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-10).
      These formats are supported by DVDForum.

DVD+R and DVD+RW
      DVD+R is a non-rewritable format and it is compatible with about 89% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
      DVD+RW is a rewritable format and is compatible with about 79% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
      DVD+R and DVD+RW supports single side 4.37 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-5) and double side 8.75 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-10).
      These formats are supported by the DVD+RW Alliance.

See more here:

DVD stands for Digital Versatile/Video Disc, DVDR stands for DVD Recordable and DVDRW for DVD ReWriteable.

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

personally i'd stick to what works. shop elsewhere if need be. nowdays it really doesn't matter unless your player and/or burner is restricted to one format. the - format i think is 6MB larger (big deal) but the + version when bitset to DVD-ROM especially is very similar in reflectivity to the standard DVD-ROM ( like a commercial disc). of course experimentation can be good too. i only use - myself. the main reasons other than the above for choosing the + format is for compatibility only (bitsetting). which one is "better"?. neither. both are the same pretty much other than the bitsetting. (no bitsetting on -R media)
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
        (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• dmanshead
          Consequence is a bigger word than you think, it's bigger than you or me
          • Dec 2005

yes it is that bitsetting thing that always makes me buy the + discs, i was told dvd shrink likes + discs better but that was back in the day when i used nero to burn them with shrink. ISO images and imgburn are such a better way to go, so i never have tried the - discs again.
          If you use these forums you will not have to face that...
          Long Live Foamy!!!

My burners Nec ND 3550A, Benq DQ60, Liteon SHW P6S, 2 Sony AW_Q170A's (free with my new system) and JLMS XJ-HD S.

Comment

• photo_angel2004
            Queen of Digital Video
            Queen of Digital Video
            • Jan 2004

I dont think that is true I use only dvd-r discs

DVD shrink doesnt burn anything, nero does though

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

• johndoh453
              Gold Member
              Gold Member
              • May 2006

I have been using DVD-R since i started burning movies...they have worked great for me...I have heard from friends that a lot of DVD+R dont work in their DVD players. thats why i'm afraid to try.

Comment

• copyless
                Digital Video Expert
                Digital Video Expert
                • Apr 2006

I also only use DVD-R and never have a problem with them, the only time I use +R is in one of my old burners which only burns +R media, and I very rarely ever use it to burn. The -R media play in every DVD player I stick them in from the cheapest to moderately expensive.

Comment

• dmanshead
                  Consequence is a bigger word than you think, it's bigger than you or me
                  • Dec 2005

i have a friend who has a couple of first generation dvd players and the only backups of mine she can play are my + that have had the bitset changed to dvd-rom. Mine never have problems in any of my players. I figured the dvd shrink liking dvd+ better was probably just hogwash. i know the dvd- are more readily available in the stores around here.
                  If you use these forums you will not have to face that...
                  Long Live Foamy!!!

My burners Nec ND 3550A, Benq DQ60, Liteon SHW P6S, 2 Sony AW_Q170A's (free with my new system) and JLMS XJ-HD S.

Comment

• copyless
                    Digital Video Expert
                    Digital Video Expert
                    • Apr 2006

The main DVD player I use is about 12 years old, and so far the only movies it would not play were the burns I made on the Philips media, and also two movies a friend had the were a few years old and made with 321 studios. But other than those I have had no problems, which actually surprises me, but also makes me very happy, that shes 12 and still kicking like a champ.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎