Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • valdezr1
    • May 2006

Broke Mini DV Tape

It is possible to repair a broken Mini DV tape? I tried to fix it joining the two sides with adhesive tape but when I insert the cassete to the VCR it indicates
    to extract it like if the format were no recognized.

Does the digital cassete looses the sequence or what happens?
    Thanks in advance.
  • jm1647
    An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
    • Apr 2005

I haven't had a mini tape break on me yet. But on VHS tapes if it broke at one of the ends I took the tape apart and put it back into the reel.

Comment

• RFBurns
      To Infinity And Byond
      • May 2006

DV tapes can be spliced, but the pix will freeze and pixilate at the splice point when it rolls past the video head, or pix will blue screen and then return once it is past the splice. Make sure that splice is done properly, or you might end up with sticky from the splicing tape onto the video heads, and once that happens, be prepared to replace the video drum...not exactly a cheap item either. Those heads on the digital cameras are extremely fragile, and it dont take very much to damage them. The most common problem on digital cameras is head clog.

Do the splice at an angle cut, not straight cut!!! Like this---> / or \.

...ps Im a Sony certified engineer/tech, Ive seen so many digital cameras come in for repair due to simple head clog. Purchase a miniDV cleaning tape. A very wise investment. Run that cleaning tape often to keep the heads from becoming clogged by particles from the tapes themselves or other debris. Hope this helps.
      Last edited by RFBurns; 13 May 2006, 01:34 AM.

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• davecates
        • May 2006

Hi RFBurns,
        Thanks for the advice...any ideas of how to solve this?
        I have a DV tape that has let it's tape come out of the casing at the front...normally on old audio cassettes you would just wind it back in. But, MiniDV tapes are geared aren't they? So, how do I just wind it back in?? Really don't want to splice the tape!
        Thanks.

Comment

• RFBurns
          To Infinity And Byond
          • May 2006

Hi!

On the bottom side of the case where the reel hubs are, towards the back and in the middle is a slot with a movable lever inside the slot. Move this back towards the back of the case. This is the tape case's locking mechanism which keeps the reels from moving when the tape is out of a machine, and prevent the tape from becoming loose on the reels, which could possibly cause tape jam within the case itself upon loading. The locking lever is moved into the free position when the tape is loaded by the machine mechanism. Once you slide this lever, it will release the two reels so that you can re-wind the tape into the case.

For those with certian Sony Digital video cameras and Digital Still cameras, the following link provides information regarding the CCD imager issue and Sony's free repair obligation. This link has a list of the affected cameras and procedures on how to test your unit if it has the CCD imager symptom, as well as information in getting your unit fixed for free.

Last edited by RFBurns; 19 May 2006, 05:36 AM.

Here..I will fix it!

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• benbryant
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Aug 2005

Thanks RFBurns so much

Your information is extremely useful for everyone who owns a mini-DV camcorder, especially a Sony model

Regards

Comment

• RFBurns
              To Infinity And Byond
              • May 2006

No problem, I am happy to provide the info for everyone here and for this excellent forum. It is the least I can do to contribute. I have found so much usefull information here, I felt that I should give something in return. I am sure at some point I will be searching for information and will definately find it here at this fine forum. It is now my #1 resource.

Here..I will fix it!

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• ger@co
                Shrinkslinger, movie only
                • Feb 2004

LOL

Later.
                ger@co rulez "A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti." Hannibal Lecter (Anthony Hopkins). The Silence of the Lambs.

Comment

• john_john
                  • Mar 2010

how doy you open it

Is there any way to open the tape or do you need to force them open in the area where the two sides are joined??

Comment

Working...