X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

DVD Recorder & Camcorder

I am looking for a DVD Recorder and a Camcorder.

I have actually already bought a DVD Recorder at Wal-Mart. I hate the thing and am returning it today.

I also want a camcorder (like a Sony Handy-Cam) to record life's precious moments. I would prefer one that records to a mini DVD+R/RW.

I don't know much about either device so any pointers and suggestions on what to look for and what not would be appreciated.

(waiting for LT, I know he has a DVD Recorder)
  • katana
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Jul 2004

Hi,
    I have heard from a few sources that the footage from camcorders that record straight to mini DVD discs is not as good quality as the older mini DV digital camcorders (mini DV cassette tapes).
    Something to bear in mind...
    I have had quite good success with a cheapish Canon MV800 Mini DV camcorder and transferring the footage to DVD via a Philips DVDR 75 recorder via firewire. Almost no loss in quality.
    I'm sure there are lots of other hardware permutations to choose from though.

Comment

• jm1647
      An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
      • Apr 2005

I missed this post before. I've had pretty good luck with a LiteOn LVW-5005 DVD Recorder for about a year and a half. FW and A/V inputs. Makes CD's too off the music cable channels. Has a rf mono tuner but record through the A/V inputs from a stereo source via my VCR. My camera is about 4 years old and has the mini cassette tapes.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

Originally Posted by jmet
        I am looking for a DVD Recorder and a Camcorder.

I have actually already bought a DVD Recorder at Wal-Mart. I hate the thing and am returning it today.

I also want a camcorder (like a Sony Handy-Cam) to record life's precious moments. I would prefer one that records to a mini DVD+R/RW.

I don't know much about either device so any pointers and suggestions on what to look for and what not would be appreciated.

(waiting for LT, I know he has a DVD Recorder)
        i missed this one too. is this the insignia? i thought you liked it!? and i don't know why you think i have a dvd recorder jmet...must have me mixed up with someone else.

edit: so this is the second recorder jmet? (insignia)
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
        (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• jmet
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2002

Yea, I first bought a Magnavox from Wally world, it just plain out sucked! I couldn't get to recognize any of my media. Even "Taiyo Yuden" media. I ended up taking it back the next day.

I then went to BestBuy and bought the "Insignia" brand. I love it! I have done about 20 conversions on it so far with the best quality. I even like the default menu it makes.

LT: I thought you had a DVD/VHS recorder combo unit. Guess not! LOL

Comment

• photo_angel2004
            Queen of Digital Video
            Queen of Digital Video
            • Jan 2004

Hello Jmet,

If you really want to put your camcorder videos on DVD, I personally wouldnt mess with the stand alone recorders.

I personally would rip the video from the camcorder to your hard drive and convert the files to dvd files.

The Lt. gave me a lot of help on doing so when I put all of my mothers old videos on DVD.

I know that way is a lot more work But I am impressed with the out come of the overall quality. Using your pc you have a lot more control with the video then the stand alones.

Just my thoughts.

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

• LT. Columbo
              Demigod of Digital Video
              • Nov 2004

Originally Posted by jmet
              I then went to BestBuy and bought the "Insignia" brand. I love it! I have done about 20 conversions on it so far with the best quality. I even like the default menu it makes.

LT: I thought you had a DVD/VHS recorder combo unit. Guess not! LOL
              so this one you got now, you can take VHS right to dvd in one easy step right? quality is excellent? i don't have one but don't think i'd ever need it as i re-did some of my vhs and the rest are in the bush. i used the capture card--quality loss. wish these things were cheaper back then.

also does yours have a HD?
              "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
              Columbo moments...
              "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• jmet
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2002

If you really want to put your camcorder videos on DVD, I personally wouldnt mess with the stand alone recorders.
                I don't own a camcorder. It was video tapes from my brothers camcorder. His camcorder doesn't have a DV output. All it has is RCA jacks.

so this one you got now, you can take VHS right to dvd in one easy step right? quality is excellent?
                Yep.
                Last edited by jmet; 1 Jun 2006, 01:11 PM.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                  Demigod of Digital Video
                  • Nov 2004

so no HD? all the dvd recorders i see are more expensive that have a HD. there must be some dvd/vhs units with a HD though. i'm waiting for a straight recorder to come down in price a little more.
                  Columbo moments...

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎