X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darnun
    • Oct 2004

HD Movies

Hi All,

Not overly sure whether this is the right forum to ask this question in but I was hoping that someone may know of a site where it lists which DVD movies will produce 480p and 720p pictures.
    I have recently bought a HDTV and a component lead for my PS2 and I am seeing the benefits of the 480P.
    I am now looking to buy a DIVX / DVD player that has HDMI connections on it but I am assuming that the movies will need to be able to push out these formats as well.

I have found a site that lists all the PS2 games that will push out 480P so I was wondering if there is a site that shows the same for movies.

Thanks in advance

Darnun
  • nwg
    Left *****
    • Jun 2003

Only HD-DVD are 720p. Blu Ray will also be 720p once it come out.

DVD's are not 480p on the disc but, 480i and the connection used converts it to 480p (component using progressive scan or HDMI, DVI with progressive scan). Some DVD players can upscale 480p to 720p to prouduce a fake HD using interpolation. This however, is not true HD and a lot of players cannot upscale satisfactorily.

Comment

• SMEG
      • Mar 2006

Originally Posted by nwg
      Only HD-DVD are 720p. Blu Ray will also be 720p once it come out.

DVD's are not 480p on the disc but, 480i and the connection used converts it to 480p (component using progressive scan or HDMI, DVI with progressive scan). Some DVD players can upscale 480p to 720p to prouduce a fake HD using interpolation. This however, is not true HD and a lot of players cannot upscale satisfactorily.
      dont know wether this is true but i was told today by a member of the sales staff at game that the xbox 360 can upscale 720p

Comment

• nwg
        Left *****
        • Jun 2003

The XBOX 360 will upscale using a MS HD AV cable and XBMC (X Box Media Centre/Center).

X Box 360 can do true 720p with their games and a HD-DVD add on will be available soon.

Comment

• darnun
          • Oct 2004

Mmmmm I am aware of the HD DVD issue.

On the PS2 , some games have progressive scan on them and will show at 480P.

I was just wondering whether any movies on DVD had that option or whether it would just be a case of watching the movie through a component lead and enjoying it at a better but not progressive.

I was hoping to get the same increase of quality and wow factor from my DVD movies.

Half tempted to buy the OPPO DVD player. I am assuming that, seeing as the PS3 will be Blu Ray that it will play HD movies anyway.
          Not sure if anyone has heard of this but when I play a DIVX movie on my existing Yamada DIVX player it works fine but if I try to forward through the movie and then press play the picture has frozen and the sound continues from where I started forwarding from.
          I hope the OPPO doesn't do this.

Comment

• nwg
            Left *****
            • Jun 2003

As I said, you need a upscaling DVD player to get SD DVD's (regular Standard Definition) from 480 to 720 resolution. The results are not always that good. Some DVD players cannot upscale through component and requires HDMI.

Also, the display needs to be able to display the 720 resolution. This usually requires a LCD or Plasma TV (in Europe anyway). Upscaling is rather confusing to many people and I am still trying to get my head round it. TV's also have a scaler and native resolution. If the TV is 480 native resolution and you upscale using a DVD player. The picture is scaled twice. The player upscales it to 720 and the the TV downscales to 480. It cannot show a true 720 picture. If you feed a 480 signal into a 720 resolution TV. The TV will then upscale it to the 720 native resolution of the TV.

If you have a regular TV then upscaling is a waste as you will not see the difference. However, you can get 480p with all DVD's and a DVD player with component /HDMI / DVI and progressive scan (DVD's are not progressive). They will not be HD quality or even faked HD like with upscaling.
            Last edited by nwg; 17 May 2006, 09:40 PM.

Comment

• darnun
              • Oct 2004

Seems to me like the way to go is to suck it and see.

I have a Pioneer 436XDE Plasma panel and it can handle all the formats from 480P up to 1080P so I am making the assumption that it will have no issues with upscaling from the OPPO DVD player.

The OPPO DVD player only has a DVI connection for HD stuff but I intend to purchase a DVI > HDMI cable for it.

Comment

• nwg
                Left *****
                • Jun 2003

Originally Posted by darnun
                Seems to me like the way to go is to suck it and see.

I have a Pioneer 436XDE Plasma panel and it can handle all the formats from 480P up to 1080P so I am making the assumption that it will have no issues with upscaling from the OPPO DVD player.

The OPPO DVD player only has a DVI connection for HD stuff but I intend to purchase a DVI > HDMI cable for it.

Very impressive TV that. It will be fine. So, you can upscale to 720p on DVD's and the TV will leave the player to upscale rather than the TV do it.

You should also have no problems with that cable.

I have heard the Sony NS92 is good at upscaling and has HDMI.

Comment

• darnun
                  • Oct 2004

Yeah, have seen that player but it isn't multi Region and some places say it plays DIVX and some places say it doesn't.

Admittedly the OPPO is more expensive but it seems to have all the bits I want on it.

Can't wait to see some of the movies upscaled to 720P.

Think I will search to see if there is a section in this forum on that very player.

Comment

• nwg
                    Left *****
                    • Jun 2003

The Sony can do DiVX. Also, it can be bought multi region. It requires to be chipped like other Sonys.

Multi region NS92 £179.99

You can look at this thread without registering on this other forum.

Oppo DVD Player

Comment

• darnun
                      • Oct 2004

Hmmmm Now i am completely confused which one to go for.

The Sony seems to have a picture shift issue via HDMI and SOny are doing there usual crap customer service BUT it has HDMI connectivity and not everyone has the picture shift issue. Oh and I have found the player for £155 which is cheaper than the OPPO.

The Oppo doesn't have HDMI but a DVI. They have been known to have issues but their support guys are always helpful and do update the issues via regular firmware updates. Support sometimes does it for me and I can go DVI > HDMI anyway.

Completely undecided now.

AAAGGGHHHH

Comment

• nwg
                        Left *****
                        • Jun 2003

They have supposed fixed the piture shift issue. The NS92 can also receive firmware updates. Some people are reporting the latest players do not suffer from the shift issue (firmware 1.5.1).

Sony firmware page (needs updating)

I have a NS900 which is one of the best DVD players you can get. The Sony NS92 is the latest version of it with more features.

Comment

Working...