Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Is -R Really the more Universal Media?

Default Is -R Really the more Universal Media?

Using my Sony Writer, I have been able to sucessfully burn DVD's, and more importantly, PLAY THEM on all of MY players...such as my Panasonic 5 Disc changer, and my Sony Vaio laptop.....BUT!...when sharing these discs with friends, they more than often complain that "It Won't Play!"......

Now since I began burning disc's, I was advised to use +R Media......and I learned quickly that inexpensive discs are probelmatic (and I think that most of the comprehensive lists that are published that detail who makes what and their ratings are out of date) so I have found success with a batch of TDK +R 's that seem reliable...

Now I have just read that +R is NOT mainsteam....and that -R is the NORM.......

Could this be the reason that they won't play universally???

The Sony writer I have does support -R.......(and many others)

Not a god of digital video blutach's Avatar

No. In fact, a +R with the booktype set is the most like a pressed DVD in terms of reflectivity and compliance.

Regards

Default Media

So...are you saying that the +R I am using is what "everyone" should strive to use?

If not....what would you attribute to the failure of some players to sucessfully read my writes?

Not a god of digital video blutach's Avatar

What media are you using? Some players prefer different things (eg SONY used to like +R only). See media/player compatibility in my signature.

Moving thread to Blank Media and Burning forum.

Regards

Covert,

You need to have a stock pile of both media, DVD+R and DVD-R.

Myself, I am bias toward DVD+R media, being you can set the book type settings to DVD-ROM which means it will play on almost any standalone DVD player.

I have a few friends who have DVD players that will ONLY play DVD-R disks, so we use DVD+R disks and change the book type settings to DVD-ROM so the player will play the disks.

I am currently using "TDK DVD +R Single side 8x 4.7gb /DVD+RR47DCB25/RW/DVD+R

I was unaware that DVD Shrink & Decryptor had "Book Setting" ability and that it needed changing...

I was hoping that I could just use either - or + to be universal for any player....

The booktype setting doesn't need to be changed for +R discs, but is recommended to do so. If no changes are made, -R have a higher compatability especially with older players because that was the first format that was widely available for DVD's. TDK's are typically frowned upon, but if you are having success with them go for it.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It's not fair to you and no challenge for us."
    Walt Kelly

Thread Information