X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dmanshead
    Consequence is a bigger word than you think, it's bigger than you or me
    • Dec 2005

Firmware upgrades

When new firmware comes out, is there a way to tell what they included in it? I just recently updated my firmware on my liteon shw-160p6s from ps09 to ps0a and was wondering what they difference is.
    If you use these forums you will not have to face that...
    Long Live Foamy!!!

My burners Nec ND 3550A, Benq DQ60, Liteon SHW P6S, 2 Sony AW_Q170A's (free with my new system) and JLMS XJ-HD S.
  • photo_angel2004
    Queen of Digital Video
    Queen of Digital Video
    • Jan 2004

Blank media is always changing, by updating firmware gives your burner the ability to read the latest media.

In computing, firmware is software that is embedded in a hardware device. It is often provided on flash ROMs or as a binary image file that can be uploaded onto existing hardware by a user.

Firmware is defined as:
    Last edited by photo_angel2004; 28 May 2006, 04:38 PM.

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

• Chewy
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2003

Originally Posted by dmanshead
      When new firmware comes out, is there a way to tell what they included in it? I just recently updated my firmware on my liteon shw-160p6s from ps09 to ps0a and was wondering what they difference is.
      they are still trying to fix some bad bugs in the newer liteon drives firmwares
      our resident liteon geek, jm, won't even hardly use his until they do.

Comment

• jm1647
        An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
        • Apr 2005

Originally Posted by Chewy
        they are still trying to fix some bad bugs in the newer liteon drives firmwares
        our resident liteon geek, jm, won't even hardly use his until they do.
        @dmanhead- all LiteOn has posted about there FW updates in the past is "More MEdia"

I got 2 of 'em (160P6S)still in the box. I was about to install them (1 for me and 1 for my daughter) when the threads started popping up. 2 fellas from LiteOn (Wind and Tom) are working on the new FW along with C0deKing at cdfreaks

I haven't played with the 6S yet but with earlier LiteOns there are many tools to tweak the FW to your liking. Omnipatcher by the codeguys, MediaCodeSpeedEdit by ala42, FW and EEPROM backup tools
        Last edited by jm1647; 28 May 2006, 11:43 PM.

Comment

• dmanshead
          • Dec 2005

well it is my main burner, but i just ordered a nec and a benq, so it will prbably be a reader and a scanner. going to get rid of the dvd roms i have. i guess i'll keep checking and upgrading the firmware for it as it comes out. I do know that when i originally went from the firmware it came with to ps09 that the burner did much better. Would it have been a good idea to update the firmware in succession or was going to the newest the best idea? I was instructed to, from the forums and yet while I know alot more now I'm still learning tricks everyday from them. Thanks.
          Long Live Foamy!!!

My burners Nec ND 3550A, Benq DQ60, Liteon SHW P6S, 2 Sony AW_Q170A's (free with my new system) and JLMS XJ-HD S.

Comment

• dmanshead
            • Dec 2005

I'm trying to update the firmware on this dvd-rom drive, which one should i use? Mine is 1r14. It was added to my machine much later than at original purchase.

-Toshiba SD-M1212 (6X/32X) 1R12, 1R14, 1R22 / For OEM drives 1L14, 1L22 / 1022, 1032 (RPC-2)
            (Known firmware : 1R10 / 1R12 / 1R14 / 1R22 / 1Y24 / OEM version 1L12 / 1L14 / 1L22 / Locked version 1008 / 1022 / 1032)
            Firmware 1008, 1022 and 1032 are RPC-2.
            Only if your drive is RPC-2 (firmware 1008/1022), you can load this special 1R22 firmware with a patched (non protected) Toshiba flash utility included to make the drive region free.
            1R14 / 1L14 enhance the drive compatibility with Dual Layer Media.
            1032 Fixes dvd-r playback
            RPC-1 with firmware 1Rxx, 1Lxx and 1Y24
            RPC-2 with firmware 10xx
            Long Live Foamy!!!

Comment

• Chewy
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2003

I thought you had a jms drive?

Comment

• Chewy
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2003

btw there is an interesting firmware I have in mind for the memorex, dangerous but interesting

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                  Demigod of Digital Video
                  • Nov 2004

planning to cremate some CMC's chewy? what is your plan?.
                  "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
                  Columbo moments...
                  "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
                  "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
                  (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

that memorex may be a liteon and we could do a dbl crossflash before it's retired, but then he'll say why did I buy 2 more burners?
                    Course we might kill it! Just sounds like the time to take that gamble

Comment

• dmanshead
                      • Dec 2005

That particular dvd-rom happens to be in the puter with the liteon, the memorex is paired with the jlms. the thing about that is the firmware wants me to create a bootable floppy to flash some of the latest FW's. I have one but I would need to dig it out of mothballs to use, but then I might want to unplug the liteon for safety sake anyway, and before we playthe flash the memorex game with the burner(it is a liteon i believe, i try to change the bitset and it says success but never does using booktype from Imgburn), i'll wait until my other ones arrive!!!!
                      Long Live Foamy!!!

Comment

• dmanshead
                        • Dec 2005

rpc 1 and rpc 2 what is the difference?
                        Long Live Foamy!!!

Comment

• Gary D
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          • Dec 2005

Gary D

Comment

• dmanshead
                            • Dec 2005

Ok so how do I go about finding which type of rpc it is?
                            Long Live Foamy!!!

Comment

• dmanshead
                              • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by jm1647
                              I haven't played with the 6S yet but with earlier LiteOns there are many tools to tweak the FW to your liking. Omnipatcher by the codeguys, MediaCodeSpeedEdit by ala42, FW and EEPROM backup tools
                              so what ru waitin' 4?
                              Long Live Foamy!!!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎