Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • =_sNaKe_=
    • May 2006

DVD-RW problems!

Hi, I'm new here and I need help with my DVD-Writer.

Since I've upgraded my machine, my DVD-Writer's been acting a fool. When I copy things off a disc or even worse, burn one, it tends to go fast enough, but my machine is otherwise inoperable. As a result, my burns are 50/50, because the burning goes well enough (mostly), but its with the verification that the fun starts. Just for the record, I used the white Verbatim discs when testing. Out of 10, I got a paltry score of 1 successful disc (so far)

Anyone else's machines go slow when copying from discs or burning? I even updated my fimware, which didn't help me really.

I've got one of those stupid OEM (BTC, I think )drives since the beginning of last year, no problems until I had to transplant it and two IDE harddrives into my new system. Also, I have a SATA drive now, so its the 2xIDE HDs, 1xIDE DVD-RW and 1xSATA. The writer detects as DVDRW IDE 16X if that helps any.

I've got an nForce4 board, NF4XK8MC ( I think that's the code ). The IDE drivers for the nForce boards are dodgy at best, or so say the masses (and me) because when installed, it doesn't allow me to read all my discs. Thus, I have teh default Windows drivers but that causes my Windows loadtime to increase a lot. I've heard about the 6.70 chipset drivers, haven't tried them but am a bit skeptical.

Any help is zooper appreciated.
  • dmanshead
    Consequence is a bigger word than you think, it's bigger than you or me
    • Dec 2005

What program do you use to burn and do you have a burn log. It might be helpful to say what the media id of those verbs are as well. does your burner have DMA (direct memory access? you could always list the firmware you are using as well and type and number of your burner too, the more info the sooner the problem can be nailed down.
    If you use these forums you will not have to face that...
    Long Live Foamy!!!

My burners Nec ND 3550A, Benq DQ60, Liteon SHW P6S, 2 Sony AW_Q170A's (free with my new system) and JLMS XJ-HD S.

Comment

• photo_angel2004
      Queen of Digital Video
      Queen of Digital Video
      • Jan 2004

Hello,

If you could post a failed burn log that would be great the log will show what is or isnt going on with your burning.

Also here is a good read for you:

The golden rules of burning click me

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

• =_sNaKe_=
        • May 2006

I'm at work at the moment so I can't check the details, but will do so and post the necessary details if the problem persists. I've browsed abit and found that it could well be the DMA setting, but will check that later. Thanks for the input so far.

Comment

• soup
          Just Trying To Help
          • Nov 2005

You could read this as well.

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=61905.

Comment

• =_sNaKe_=
            • May 2006

I've discovered that it IS that PIO thingy. I've tried uninstalling IDE channels and even editing registry entries, but it just won't change from PIO. I've even popped it in another machine and it says even there that its in PIO mode.

Ive clicked on the link supplied by soup (thanks) and will try it that way, who knows? Anyway, will post again as soon as I know.

Thanks

Comment

• =_sNaKe_=
              • May 2006

Och...still does the same thing...even deleting reg entries and uninstalling IDE channels still leaves it with PIO. Although, at first it does pick up as UDMA 4 or something, after a few seconds once its done installnig, it just forces PIO again.

And I have tried it in another machine and that detects it as PIO. Formats probably then won't help any?

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎