Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MikeyBK
    Digital Video Maniac
    • Feb 2006

This is a little tidbit of interest in regards to scanning.
    I just burnt a movie onto a Verbatim MCC004 last week and while I was putting it into my case I managed to put a nice big scratch right near the inner hub, at the beginning of the movie.
    So just to see what kind of damaged I had done, I scanned the disc and it started right off the bat getting into the reds in the PIFs. When it finally got past the long scratch (about 5% into the disc), it had already gone below a 50 scan score. So I cancelled the scan and decided to watch the beginning of the movie again. Absolutely crisp video with no problems of any kind. I tried watching the beginning of the movie twice.
    So while the scan was telling me I should throw away this disc, the visual test was completely opposite, flawless. So what did that scan do for me??? I'm not sure it gave me any reliable feedback other than that there was a scratch and the scanning read a lot of errors.
    MBK

Antec 900 ATX Mid Tower
    Antec True Power Trio 650W PSU
    ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel Motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz CPU (Overclocking @ 2.9GHz)
    XFX GeForce 8600GT 256MB GDDR3 Video Card
    Patriot eXtreme Performance (2 x 1GB) DDR2 SDRAM
    Seagate Barracuda(Perpendicular Recording) 320GB SATA 3.0Gb

*SAMSUNG 18X LightScribe SATA SH-S183L DVD±R
    *Sony DRU-810A IDE DVD±R
    *BenQ LS DW1655 IDE DVD±R

Comment

• Chewy
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2003

copy,
      too bad you can't do a scan with a benq and see just how well that samsung burns

mike,
      That's the point if the disk is scanning poorly without scratches, what's gonna happen with some age and abuse. dvd's are all about error correction. When the errors overwhelm the mechanism, you have problems. Burned media is not like fine wine, it doesn't get better with age, it's all downhill from here.
      Last edited by Chewy; 2 Jun 2006, 07:35 AM.

Comment

• codajohn
        Digital Video Expert
        Digital Video Expert
        • Jul 2005

Thanks Chewy for the advise on the Benq-1650. It's nice to be able to run full scans.
        Quality is everything.
        CJ
        My DVD Collection
        Register To Join Digital Video Forums

Dell Inspiron 9100 Laptop, Windows XP Home SP 2 (build 2600), 2.80GH Pent 4, ST94811A 40GB HD, 2GB RAM, NEC DVD+RW ND-6100A 104D, ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9700, External 250GB Maxtor HD, External LG-5163D A105

IBM ThinkCenter 8189, XP Pro, 3.2GH Pentium 4, 120 GB HD, 1GB Ram, BENQ DW1650 BCIC, Nvidia GeForce FX 5200, Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

The Golden Rules of Burning

Comment

• MikeyBK
          Digital Video Maniac
          • Feb 2006

Originally Posted by Chewy
          Burned media is not like fine wine, it doesn't get better with age, it's all downhill from here.
          Well let's hope that all my DVDs that are in my 'DVD Wine Cellar' last a 100 years. LOL

You're right, all we can do is try to use the best media with the best burns and hope that they retain the data for a decent amount of years.
          MBK

Antec 900 ATX Mid Tower
          Antec True Power Trio 650W PSU
          ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel Motherboard
          Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz CPU (Overclocking @ 2.9GHz)
          XFX GeForce 8600GT 256MB GDDR3 Video Card
          Patriot eXtreme Performance (2 x 1GB) DDR2 SDRAM
          Seagate Barracuda(Perpendicular Recording) 320GB SATA 3.0Gb

*SAMSUNG 18X LightScribe SATA SH-S183L DVD±R
          *Sony DRU-810A IDE DVD±R
          *BenQ LS DW1655 IDE DVD±R

Comment

• copyless
            Digital Video Expert
            Digital Video Expert
            • Apr 2006

Here are three random burns on the Sony 16x disc. I can not compete with your burner Chewy. Maybe someday, but not now. I really don't understand the ending on the one burn where the PIF just stayed constant at the end, up till that point it was an avg. of about .03.

Maybe you can tell me what you think Chewy, and explain a little about it.
            Attached Files

Comment

• NightTran
              King of Digital Video
              King of Digital Video
              • Aug 2005

I think I got to stock TY 002 now. that is a big jump between 002 and 003
              sigpic

Comment

• copyless
                Digital Video Expert
                Digital Video Expert
                • Apr 2006

If your comparing mine to Chewy's, it's a big jump between our burners, plus he has an excellent reader.

I think numbers 12 and 13 look decent, except the very end of 12, but 11, I am not sure about it has alot of failures, but it may be due to the process I used to rip and burn that specific disc.

Comment

• NightTran
                  King of Digital Video
                  King of Digital Video
                  • Aug 2005

pif total that is what I am talking about
                  sigpic

Comment

• copyless
                    Digital Video Expert
                    Digital Video Expert
                    • Apr 2006

I haven't had any problems with playability, but I am waiting on Chewy to chime in and give me a thrashing on the tests.

Comment

• Chewy
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2003

well you might really need new firmware, interesting drive.

oem of this drive?

the first 2 scans are inconsistent media probably exaggerated by poor write strategy(the problem a lot of newer writers have)

the last scan is quite nice

what were the burn speeds?
                      Last edited by Chewy; 2 Jun 2006, 01:54 PM.

Comment

• copyless
                        Digital Video Expert
                        Digital Video Expert
                        • Apr 2006

So you think I should try to flash my 0614 firmware to TS03? The second link is the first time I have seen the 552L and the 162L together. I have searched several times for an update to my firmware to no avail, but if you think the TS03 is for me I will give it a try.

Those are 8x burns, that average 7.2x and usually hit 8.1 or 8.2x. I used to burn at max speed with the old 8x disc I had and they usually hit 12-13x burn speeds. Maybe I should try a faster speed, I think I will try a burn with the exact same file at 8x and 12x, just to see what happens.

I kind of thought that number 12 might have a bad splotch at the end, because up to the end it only had around 300+ PIF's and then at the end it stayed green, and went through the roof.

Comment

• Chewy
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2003

wait on the flash, not sure it is possible, is that an HP computer or what brand?

Comment

• copyless
                            Digital Video Expert
                            Digital Video Expert
                            • Apr 2006

Yes it is an HP Pavillion a1340n. Thanks for the use of your knowledge and help Chewy.

I will wait on the flash until you do a little more research.

Comment

• Chewy
                              Super Moderator
                              • Nov 2003

let's give HP a little time, keep an eye on their web pages, I'll keep a lookout over at cdfreaks and maybe even post a query

Comment

• copyless
                                Digital Video Expert
                                Digital Video Expert
                                • Apr 2006

I will give them some time and thanks for your help, let me know if you find anything. I appreciate your input and searchs.

Comment

Working...