X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mark.j.robertso
    • Jul 2005

Not able to burn avi files

Hi,

I am having problems burning avi files to disc.

I have encoded a DivX movie which plays on my PC.

My burning software is Nero (5.5) and as I understand, the file should be burnt as a data disc. When I try to burn on a CD-R I get a pop-up asking to 'Save Image File' which I select Desktop.

It then appears to 'burn' the disc although no actual process seems to take place (ie my CD/DVD burner is not activated) after approx 2 mins I then get a message stating that 'burn was successful).

What am I doing wrong? I have tried R and RW discs and also tried burning via WMP but all without success.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

are you saving an image from the disc or something?

have you used nero express? very simple operation. select destination drive>data>data disc>add file>finished>next>burn.
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• mark.j.robertso
      • Jul 2005

Everything is as you describe ie drive>data>data disc>add file>finished>next

When I click on burn there is a pop up window 'Save Image File' asking me where I want it saved. At the bottom these is a box stating - File Name:Image and below that another stating - Save as type: Nero Image Files (.*nrg)

This is what is confusing me.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

remember. at the very first screen, you must select your drive, NOT the image recorder of that drive from the drop-down menu. go back and look.
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• mark.j.robertso
          • Jul 2005

OK I have checked and where it asks 'Which recorder would you like to use?' the only options I have are (1) Image Recorder (DVD) and (2) Image Recorder CD-R\RW.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
            Demigod of Digital Video
            • Nov 2004

nothing like these options?

Columbo moments...

Comment

• mark.j.robertso
              • Jul 2005

Hi, Sorry for the delay in getting back to you but it was 3am here in London when I was online and I needed some sleep!.

No - the only options I have from the pull down are the top two on the screen shot.

I am puzzled as to why this would be as I have used Nero Express many times to back up CD's and have never had a problem. Would the fact that It I have recently had a DVD R/RW added make any difference?

Also I have Nero 5.5 not 6 - but I can't think it would make any difference.

If you can tell me how to put a screen shot into my reply i will post this if it helps.

Thanks

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                Demigod of Digital Video
                • Nov 2004

i'm thinking an OEM version of nero that was bundled with your previous writer which was? you may need to upgrade perhaps...did this new writer come with any burn software?
                Columbo moments...

Comment

• mark.j.robertso
                  • Jul 2005

Yes - Nero was an OEM bundle that came with the PC. I just thought that when I updated the rewriter Nero would also be updated but perhaps it doesn't work like that!

Would I be able to download a free version of Nero? I did actually download Nero 6, but it asks for a serial number which i was not able to provide.

On the point of burning software the rewriter came with software called Pinnacle's Instant CD/DVD 8 OEM. Could I use this - although I would prefer Nero as it is what i have always used.

Thanks

Comment

• mark.j.robertso
                    • Jul 2005

Sorry I wasn't sure if you wanted to know what my previous burner was. All I can remember was that it was a TEAC.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                      Demigod of Digital Video
                      • Nov 2004

i suggest you try pinnacle then. never used it, so have no info there. what writer came with 5.5, and do you still have it? you don't need a dvd writer to burn what you want unless it's over cd-r limits.
                      Columbo moments...

Comment

• mark.j.robertso
                        • Jul 2005

Sorry I think I am using the term 'burner' instead of 'writer'. My previous writer was a TEAC which was just a CD R/RW. This was what came with 5.5 This got broken so I upgraded to the one I have now which is a WRITEMASTER DVD/CD combo. It is this that Nero is not recognising.

Is there a way I can download 5.5 to work with the WRITEMASTER.?

Thanks

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                          Demigod of Digital Video
                          • Nov 2004

i believe you'll either need to upgrade to a full version, or use the software with that came with the writemaster.
                          Columbo moments...

Comment

• mark.j.robertso
                            • Jul 2005

Have now upgraded to Nero 6 and all seems OK

Comment

• mark.j.robertso
                              • Jul 2005

When I loaded up Nero 6 it mentions incompatability problems with XP. Is this a known issue and how would you best resolve it?

Thanks

Comment

Working...