X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shornacker
    • Jun 2006

SOS for DVD authoring using Nero Vision 4

Hi everyone!

I'm at my wits' end trying to figure out how to seamlessly burn my Avi files (compressed with Xvid) into DVD-R, using Nero Vision 4. I need any help you can kindly provide me with

The gist of my problem is that after "transcoding" and burning the files, they end up as being unsynchronized. When i play the DVD on my pc or on a stand alone player, after a few minutes, the video will flicker which results in the audio coming in late for a split second. Through the course of a 40 minute video, almost 5 to 6 flickers happen leading to the a cumulutive delay in the audio by almost 3 to 4 seconds. Which basically just drives me nuts

I have tried adjusting the Quality settings to Super Long Play but still the end result is the same. I don't know where the error happens. If i play the original Avi file on Nero Showtime it plays just fine, but after i convert it to DVD then the unsync happens.

Could my PC be the problem? I have a P4 2.4 ghz with 40Gb hard disk and 256 mb ddr of ram. I've defragged my hard disk so that ive got 31gb of free space, but the results are still the same after i tried it again. Since it takes almost 3 hours to transcode 3 Avi files, it really is a massive waste of time and DVD-Rs if i keep going about the trial and error process.
    Can anyone help? Much appreciated. Thanks
  • paglamon
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Aug 2005

What did u use to make the avi files in the first place?
    sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• shornacker
      • Jun 2006

I downloaded them

Comment

• paglamon
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Aug 2005

If this thread is not closed in the next 24 hrs,I will answer u.
        sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• johnsmurray
          • Aug 2006

Same Problem

Hi Shornacker,

I've got exactly the same problem as you. I don't know if you've worked out the solution yet but I've been able to work certain things out.

I have also downloaded AVI files that are in XviD format. Most of them can be burned on to DVD-R OK using Nero Vision 4. One or two are casuing me problems where the picture and sound are out of sync.

Originally these AVI files had the same synch problem when I tried to play them using either the Nero player or Windows Media Player. Looking through the Digital Digest web site I relaised that I may be missing the XviD codec. I used Gspot and it reported that the XviD codec was missing and I installed it. Now the AVI files play OK using Media Player but still get synch problems using the Nero player and when I burn them to DVD!

This is as far as I have got. It looks like Nero uses it's own codec and ignores the XviD one. If this is the case then the Nero codec sucks!

I am now looking at alternatives to Nero 7 for burning my AVI files to DVD. I'd like to find a package(s) that will still allow me to burn two AVI files onto a single DVD with chapters etc. in the same way that Nero Vision 4 does.

Did you ever solve your problem, or you using an alternative to Nero 7 now?

Comment

• LT. Columbo
            Demigod of Digital Video
            • Nov 2004

search the TMPGEnc forum. nero is pure crap for conversions and playback IMO. all you should really require is media player classic for video playback of this type.
            "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
            Columbo moments...
            "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
            "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
            (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• johnsmurray
              • Aug 2006

All fixed- thanks Lt. Columbo

Just to keep you all up to date.

I did what Lt. Columbo suggested and all is peachy in the garden....

To summarise.

Nero 7 has a problem with transcoding XviD/DviX coded files. To guarantee a successful DVD burn I do the following:
              1. Try and play the AVI file using Nero Showtime. If it plays and the sound is synch all the way through then you can burn your DVD using NeroVision.
              2. If it doesn't play then use TMPGEnc Plus (must be the plus version the other version of TMPGEnc doesn't support DVDs) to decode the AVI file into an MPEG2 file.
              3. Just to be sure I then try and play the MPEG2 file using Nero Showtime. It's worked perfectly everytime (tested on over 20 different AVI files). If it plays OK then you can burn your DVD using the MPEG2 file(s) using NeroVision.
              You have to be be sure you recode it correctly (obvious, I know) and the main thing to look out for is the frame rate. The most common frame rate are 23fps, 25fps, and 29fps. You recode 23 and 29fps using one set of parameters and 25fps using a slightly different set (I've tried both and it works for both).

To get a really good overview of this use the following link to find a really good overview of using TMPGEnc Plus and the two different sets of parameters.

If a 50 year old grandad-to-be can do it, you can too!

Many thanks to Lt. Columbo who pointed me in the right direction - truly an Emporer of Digital Video.

Comment

• The Highlander
                • Jan 2007

i used copyxtodvd and worked flawlessly... no hassles.. no problems... right everytime.. it will even burn to your dvd recorder...

Comment

• nathandavies
                  • Jun 2010

I just use SUPER by Eright soft. Its a stand alone converter but you will need to download codecs. Once installed it works with no hassle. Then you take the processed file to burn on a dvdr

Comment

• nathandavies
                    • Jun 2010

I have also used Nero products to make a DVD cover. Its good too

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎