X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

Hi. Thanks for the info. I use Chromium as primary now. FF occasionally. One nice thing about a shortcut is you can drag it to a networked shared folder. Just easier than making a file with the url. If it's something I'd bookmark then I'd just let bookmark sync handle it.

Much as I hate to sign up for online server accounts, the chrome bookmark sync is pretty transparent once you set it up.

Comment

• dr_ml422
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • May 2007

Got you. You have to get what works best and fast, especially since you use the server for your work. I'm presuming that's what you alluded to as far as server services.
      SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• MilesAhead
        Eclectician
        • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by dr_ml422
        Got you. You have to get what works best and fast, especially since you use the server for your work. I'm presuming that's what you alluded to as far as server services.
        When I mentioned signing up for online service I meant the google account. You have to use a google account to bookmark sync. SyncPlaces for Firefox was nice because you could use your own ftp account. But at some point it's not worth working around incompatibilities.

I don't keep any really sensitive passwords on google. Just saves me typing in for online boards etc.. Now and then I delete my cookies. I'd be doing a lot of typing without an autologin program.

Comment

• MilesAhead
          Eclectician
          • Nov 2006

sync hard drives with one click

I use SysInternals sync.exe frequently to flush HD buffers to disk. I got tired of bringing up a command prompt just to type Sync, then type Exit though.

To get away from that I made a batch file and a shortcut. Here's the batch file that I named sink.cmd

Code:
          @echo off
          sync
          ping -n 3 127.0.0.1 > nul
          exit
          For the second line of the batch to work you need sync.exe to be in your path. You can download it free here:

If you notice the line after with the ping command, this gives you a delay of about 3 seconds so you can see that sync flushed your disks. Then the command prompt will close.

Last step is to make a shortcut and either pin it to the TaskBar if you have Windows Seven or put it on your Quick Launch Bar. Just right click on a blank section of the Desktop, click New, then Shortcut. Navigate to where you have the sink.cmd file, click Next, then name the shortcut. Now just put it someplace you can get at easily with the mouse.

To sync all the fixed drives on your system, just click the shortcut.

Comment

• MilesAhead
            Eclectician
            • Nov 2006

Search Engine "Bang Syntax" !!

To search a particular site using a search engine in the past I would either make a custom search entry for the search window drop down list in my browser, or just type in using the site: syntax like:

site:msdn.microsoft.com FindFirstFile
            to look up FindFirstFile() WinAPI function.

Now some sites are using what they call a Bang Syntax.
            Instead of typing in using the site: specifier, I can do the
            same search I did above like this:
            !msdn FindFirstFile

It doesn't work with every site. The search engine maintains a list that it substitutes when it sees the '!' starting a term.

If you search the terms Bang Syntax you should find engines that use it.

Comment

• AW2567
              • Jul 2013

The auto-play off is a really cool tip, you can avoid certain viruses this way, did it on my PC after a bad case of auto-run usb virus

Comment

• voquang98760
                • Apr 2015

Great idea BR7!

Thanks for the tip Blu!

Some of you probably already know this simple tip but just in case you don't.....

This is nice for those of us who are on the computer long periods of time, late at night or early in the morning (before and after your eyes want to focus).

HOW TO ADJUST PRINT SIZE WHILE READING DOCUMENTS

Hold down the Ctrl key on the key board and then turn the wheel on your mouse away or towards you. The print size will change, smaller or larger, depending on which way you turn the wheel.

It works really well for those small prints that are hard to read and for times you've been on this forum too long and your eyes are just tired.

Comment

• Hellobicycle
                  • Feb 2016

Great Thread.... very helpul for all i suppose, Some may knew them already but some new too. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎