X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dmanshead
    Consequence is a bigger word than you think, it's bigger than you or me
    • Dec 2005

Plextor Burners pricey?

I was looking for possibly another burner, and I was wondering about a Plextor. Looking around they are spendy, how do they do as a scanner? That is a requirement for me to be a good scanner, that is why i was thinking a BenQ DW1650, or 1655.
    If you use these forums you will not have to face that...
    Long Live Foamy!!!

My burners Nec ND 3550A, Benq DQ60, Liteon SHW P6S, 2 Sony AW_Q170A's (free with my new system) and JLMS XJ-HD S.
  • mc4man
    • Jun 2006

good scanner but

I have a plextors 712a, 716a, and a benq 1640
    I would rate the plextors slightlyabove the benq in burn quality with the media I use (mcc 003, yudenn000to2,mcc 001) and better firmware support. I also happen to to like and use plextools. As far as scanning they work great BUT not with cd-dvd speed. I use pxscan/pxview which provides a very detailed scan and probaly more accurate results than nero though I'd take any scan results with a large grain of salt. Pxscan does take a long time to run - over an hr. for all 5 tests

Comment

• ed klein
      Banned
      • Mar 2004

I have two Plextors, 708A and the 716SA, both with many hours of usage.
      I use both of them with the Plextools professional. As long as ALL your options are set the same on the drive unit itself, in Plextools, and on DVD Decrypter all works very well. I have had zero problems so far.

I am sure there are cheaper optical drive units, but I am willing to spend the little extra for a good optical drive, since I have had no problems at all with Plextor

Comment

• photo_angel2004
        Queen of Digital Video
        Queen of Digital Video
        • Jan 2004

Plextors are pricey I never had a plextor dvd burner but years ago I had their CD burners. LOL

A lot of people that have done a lot of testing with different dvd burners tend to go for the BenQ's and the Nec's

When I eventually upgrade my new burner which I have been meaning to do for a while I will go for one of them myself.

Check out newegg.com they seem to have lower prices on the burners.

Or just ask Chewy he seems to know who has the best deals on new burners.

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

about half of the bad disks(100) I had to replace in my library, were burned with plex 708 and 712's, plex was forever getting firmware right on the 712.
          I am prejudiced against plex for good reason.
          the economical plex's are benq's, the premium pricey drives are plex's
          bottom line is I can buy a nec 3550 and a benq 1650 and have change left for what a plex costs

Comment

• dmanshead
            • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by photo_angel2004
            Or just ask Chewy he seems to know who has the best deals on new burners.
            chiefvalue.com
            Long Live Foamy!!!

My burners Nec ND 3550A, Benq DQ60, Liteon SHW P6S, 2 Sony AW_Q170A's (free with my new system) and JLMS XJ-HD S.

Comment

• Chewy
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2003

the weekend deal, on the gamble the 55 is better than the 50?

forget the combos

Comment

• dmanshead
                • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by Chewy
                the weekend deal, on the gamble the 55 is better than the 50?
                from what I have read the major difference in 50 to 55 is the ability to lightscribe with. firmware is slightly different from rpc1 50=bchc, 55=bchb.
                I'm curious to hear what you have to say on this matter.
                Long Live Foamy!!!

Comment

• Chewy
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2003

several over at cdfreaks are convinced they(55) are better, maybe more quality control, a few say they are equal, nobody says the 1650 is better

Comment

• copyless
                    Digital Video Expert
                    Digital Video Expert
                    • Apr 2006

Keep in mind also as an option, the Pioneer 111. I know it's been getting great reviews on the burn quality. As a scanner though I have no ideal, so maybe it's not an option. I am considering buying one, I'm just waiting on Chewy for some good input.

So what do you think Chewy?

Comment

• dmanshead
                      • Dec 2005

looking at the specs it looks very similar to the BenQ DQ60, just has a faster -dl speed than the benq.
                      here's what cd freaks has to say: http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/270
                      Last edited by dmanshead; 18 Jun 2006, 03:10 PM.
                      Long Live Foamy!!!

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎