X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

$930 for a burner
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• foragerst
      • May 2005

Only blue-ray burner i have seen is around $930US dollars plus

Comment

• foragerst
        • May 2005

My bad $998 and its on sale.

Last edited by foragerst; 21 Jun 2006, 03:46 PM.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
          Demigod of Digital Video
          • Nov 2004

lol. funny stuff.
          "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
          Columbo moments...
          "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• dmanshead
            Consequence is a bigger word than you think, it's bigger than you or me
            • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by jmet
            Your PS3?
            well they got to give me one first, i'm awaiting to be able to advance purchase one, so i can be one of the first to own one. Actually it's my wife who wants one, and she may give me more lattitude wiith my puters if I do.
            If you use these forums you will not have to face that...
            Long Live Foamy!!!

My burners Nec ND 3550A, Benq DQ60, Liteon SHW P6S, 2 Sony AW_Q170A's (free with my new system) and JLMS XJ-HD S.

Comment

• johndoh453
              Platinum Member
              Platinum Member
              • May 2006

I saw XXX on Blu-Ray yesterday at Best Buy on a new Samsung HDTV and it was amazing. The discs are suprisingly lower in price than I had thought. the quality makes me want to go out and buy a player right now...too bad i can't afford it. $1000 for a player!

Comment

• nwg
                Left *****
                • Jun 2003

I ahve found out that the only player out is a samsung.

The first DVD burners were over £1000 when they came out. As they didn't sell, they got lowered to around £700.

Comment

• RFBurns
                  To Infinity And Byond
                  • May 2006

Originally Posted by nwg
                  Why release films when hardware is not available? So far, I have only seen Blu Ray computer drives which cost £650!!! Even these cannot play Blu Ray as no software can play the discs.

Blank Blu Ray Recordable discs are £15 each and a Blu Ray RW is £20.

Blu Ray is supposed to be officially out around November in the UK.

Its called Advance Marketing, a nice routine manufactures do so that they get you all excited and rush on out and pay the high price for something fancy that has little support in the first rounds. It is no different than what happend back in 94/95, when windows 95 first came out. It was pitched as the best thing since frozen pizza, everyone rushed on out and bought the OS, only to find out that the machines of the time could not run it!!! Of course, Microsoft did not mention anything about the potential of having to buy new hardware for the new software...did they?!! Nope!

This blu-ray is no different. Besides, you cannot get the results of high resolution without a monitor that is capable of producing that high definition. Unless your set has the HDMI connector and is a true high definition set, you wont get the results expected out of blu-ray on a set with RGB inputs and a max resolution of 1080p. Need alot more than that!

Dont get sucked in by the pre-hype marketing. Or you too will find yourself frustrated that the picture is not as clean and sharp as the hype said it would be. Wait till you have a true high def monitor/tv with HDMI!!!!

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• ed klein
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2004

@miss marple "quote"

do you want his name and adress so you can contact him and help him with the work?

Yes I do, I would love to be at the front end of cracking the code, kicking the large corporation, government, and control groups ALL for wanting to control people and for the love of money and their greed.

Where do I sign up for the forthcoming task? Want to join me?

Comment

• wlnelson
                      • Mar 2005

Im in too.
                      (My_Website)(downloads)

Comment

• admin
                        Administrator
                        • Nov 2001

You definitely need a big screen with high resolution to get the best out of HD. A screen that can handle 1920x1080 progressive, that is at the very least 42". Otherwise, it will be like using Windows in 1600x1200 resolution on a 15" monitor.

One thing about big screens though is that they really need a high res source to look half decent. Watching standard def stuff on a 50" is like watching a VCD.
                        Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                          Demigod of Digital Video
                          • Nov 2004

i seen this week a 103" HD plasma from panasonic to be released soon. the largest of it's class apparently. all being said about the price is, it is compared to a high priced luxury car. was on GMA the other day
                          Last edited by LT. Columbo; 24 Jun 2006, 04:35 PM.
                          Columbo moments...

Comment

• nwg
                            Left *****
                            • Jun 2003

Originally Posted by admin

One thing about big screens though is that they really need a high res source to look half decent. Watching standard def stuff on a 50" is like watching a VCD.

I don't find that. I plays DVD's on a projector at 80" and they looks fantastic. I can't watch a film on a TV now. I watched King Kong on it and the quality was impressive. It is also only 852 x 480. Newer PJ's are up to 1280 x 720.

A couple of pics.

The UK is behind everywhere else for HD. By the time I get into HD, I am hoping for a 1080 resolution projector will be more affordable. At the moment they are way too expensive.

I wonder what audio formats Blu Ray will have? I have heard that the new DD and DTS lossless sound on HD-DVD is impressive.

Comment

• anonymez
                              Super Moderator
                              • Mar 2004

For audio, BD-ROM supports up to 7.1 channel surround sound using the linear (uncompressed) PCM, Dolby Digital and DTS formats also used on DVDs. In addition, it also supports Dolby Digital Plus and the lossless formats Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD
                              "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• nwg
                                Left *****
                                • Jun 2003

Same as HD-DVD then.

I have a amp that just does standard DTS and DD 5.1 surround. However, it has six phono inputs so, all I should need is a HD player with onboard decoding and get these new formats.

Comment

Working...