• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nwg
    Left *****
    • Jun 2003

Originally Posted by LT. Columbo
    lot cheaper too. nice set up nwg
    I like to think so considering the tight budget I had. The PJ was second hand at £400. I bought a new DVD player to use on the component connection. It is next to the projector lower down.

The PJ needs total darkness so, I use a second blind on the window to darken the room during the day.

I can't watch films on the TV now as it is too small.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
      Demigod of Digital Video
      • Nov 2004

i like watching movies in a semi-dark room. how does your screen look say with just a small light on in the background (like a bankers lamp) and everything else sealed?
      "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
      Columbo moments...
      "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
      "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
      (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• nwg
        Left *****
        • Jun 2003

i like watching movies in a semi-dark room. how does your screen look say with just a small light on in the background (like a bankers lamp) and everything else sealed?
        I don't have a light except for one on the ceiling. My computer is next to it and the monitor can be bright as well as my keyboard (the keys light up blue). The room is still 95% in darkness when the computer is on. I turn my monitor off when watching a film. Once the PJ is on. The room is then about 70%% in darkness.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
          Demigod of Digital Video
          • Nov 2004

excellent. see if someone is a smoker like me, you need some light to find your drink and lighter. i can't just sit and watch a movie. i need to either have a beverage, smoke, or eat (like popcorn)
          "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
          Columbo moments...
          "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• nwg
            Left *****
            • Jun 2003

excellent. see if someone is a smoker like me, you need some light to find your drink and lighter. i can't just sit and watch a movie. i need to either have a beverage, smoke, or eat (like popcorn)

I don't smoke. I have a beer fridge next to where I sit and microwaveable popcorn is only 3 minutes. I rarely get up when watching a film. I once watched all the LOTR Extended Editions in one session without a break.

I have also been known to create a cinema atmosphere by putting a Pearl and Dean advert before a film and even some trailers. P and D is a big advertising company for cinemas.

Have a look at this Pearl and Dean ad (it is in DVD format).

Another P & D (AVI).

Do you have anything like that in the US before a film starts?
            I won't be messing about like this with HD discs for a long time.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
              Demigod of Digital Video
              • Nov 2004

it worked i also like to put a THX trailer in front of titles. quite a few neat ones to choose from, would like much nicer on a setup like yours.
              Columbo moments...

Comment

• nwg
                Left *****
                • Jun 2003

it worked i also like to put a THX trailer in front of titles. quite a few neat ones to choose from, would like much nicer on a setup like yours.
                If you haven't seen these. There a loads on THX trailers and some which I haven't seen on DVD. They ate in DD 5.1 as well.

http://www.cinenow.com/uk/vobtrailer.php3

http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/do...s/trailers.php

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                  Demigod of Digital Video
                  • Nov 2004

i have almost all of those, this is one of my favorites (i compressed the piss out of it to host it)
                  Columbo moments...

Comment

• Huskerfan
                    Gold Member
                    Gold Member
                    • May 2005

You can buy a HD DVD player now for about $499 in the states. My question was going to be when will the blank HD DVD's be coming out. Anyone heard? The good news is all the players are backward compatible and will upconvert SD DVD's.

BTW, my wife bought me a DVD with all those trailers on it AND a personalized introduction to our home theater with our name on it. Columbo, where did you get that last one? Is it something someone could download and burn to disc?
                    Husker Nation is Strong!

See the weather where I am at!http://members.cox.net/weatheromaha/weather

My home theater pictures!
                    http://members.cox.net/gipper3/hometheater

Comment

• nwg
                      Left *****
                      • Jun 2003

I haven't heard of any blank HD-DVD's in the shops yet in big quantities. There isn't even burners out yet. The Toshiba HD-DVD player has a NEC HD-DVD ROM drive but, no computers can play a HD-DVD yet afaik.

I have only seen Blu Ray burners and blanks.

I found this.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13606

Comment

• froggythrower
                        Platinum Member
                        Platinum Member
                        • Apr 2005

LT, check the link on Huskerfans post saying my home theatre pics, that guy has got a crazy set up.
                        Well done Huskerfan, your wife must be in the running for wife of the year allowing you to build that cinema
                        Regards Froggy

Comment

• froggythrower
                          Platinum Member
                          Platinum Member
                          • Apr 2005

[QUOTE=nwg]I haven't heard of any blank HD-DVD's in the shops yet in big quantities. There isn't even burners out yet. The Toshiba HD-DVD player has a NEC HD-DVD ROM drive but, no computers can play a HD-DVD yet afaik.

Sorry m8, yes there is a pc that can both record and play HD dvd, check the link

Sorry chaps, the link don't work, but if you google "SONY STYLE" you will come up with the online shop from Sony, where they have 3 laptops and one desktop all that can read and write BLU-RAY HD
                          And I have seen HD discs selling at PC WORLD
                          Last edited by froggythrower; 9 Jul 2006, 07:21 AM.
                          Regards Froggy

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                            Demigod of Digital Video
                            • Nov 2004

definite audiophile. man i'd lock myself away in there like howard hughes for a week straight
                            Columbo moments...

Comment

• nwg
                              Left *****
                              • Jun 2003

[QUOTE=froggythrower]
                              Originally Posted by nwg
                              I haven't heard of any blank HD-DVD's in the shops yet in big quantities. There isn't even burners out yet. The Toshiba HD-DVD player has a NEC HD-DVD ROM drive but, no computers can play a HD-DVD yet afaik.

Sorry m8, yes there is a pc that can both record and play HD dvd, check the link

Sorry chaps, the link don't work, but if you google "SONY STYLE" you will come up with the online shop from Sony, where they have 3 laptops and one desktop all that can read and write BLU-RAY HD
                              And I have seen HD discs selling at PC WORLD

This may sound stupid but do you realise that HD-DVD is different to Blu Ray? No Sony equipment will read HD-DVD as you said above as they are Bu Ray.

Comment

• froggythrower
                                Platinum Member
                                Platinum Member
                                • Apr 2005

[QUOTE=nwg]
                                Originally Posted by froggythrower

This may sound stupid but do you realise that HD-DVD is different to Blu Ray? No Sony equipment will read HD-DVD as you said above as they are Bu Ray.
                                I do realise there are two options in the HD race, but BLU-Ray is still HD isn't it, and yes I do know that sony chose to bring there Playstation 3 out with a BLU-RAY drive, that as far as I am aware will not play and normal dvd's or the new "OTHER" format of HD
                                But it is still HD, and this might sound stupid as well, but didn't Sony's Blu-Ray format win the race and be chosen as the standard for all FUTURE box office titles to be released on, and the "OTHER" format you are talking about LOST, even though it CAN play all current dvd formats !!!!
                                Regards Froggy

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎