X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kwanny
    • Jun 2006

Question about Copyright Laws

Hmm... so I've been thinking about the copyright laws, and it appears to me that it's only the people who create copy-right protected dvd-ripping software who get prosecuted.

So what about us who copy copy-right protected dvd's? Are there any legal justifications that may protect us from being prosecuted?

Any thoughts?
  • jm1647
    An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
    • Apr 2005

Originally Posted by kwanny
    Hmm... so I've been thinking about the copyright laws, and it appears to me that it's only the people who create copy-right protected dvd-ripping software who get prosecuted.

So what about us who copy copy-right protected dvd's? Are there any legal justifications that may protect us from being prosecuted?

Any thoughts?
    Depends on where you live.

The RIAA prosecuted and collected fines from people for downloaded music.

Edit - There is a difference between copying DVD's and backing up DVD's you own.

A screener was just fined for releasing screened DVD's to the warez groups. The dummy forgot his copy had a way of leading the Academy back to him.
    Last edited by jm1647; 29 Jun 2006, 02:54 AM.

Comment

• DaveG17
      • Jun 2006

I agree backup and copying is completely different.

Backing up a DVD that you bought and own is what large majority of people on these forums do. Its no different than backing up a VHS that you own.

The only difference is that DVD's get scratched so easily (its one of the reasons I decided to backup my DVD's, after so many got scratched that they were longer readable, and having to re-buy them all over again).

But simply copying DVD's you dont own, thats simply dumb and asking for trouble!

Dave

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

Originally Posted by kwanny

Any thoughts?
        Kwanny, i'm sorry but this is a digital video forum. we do not offer legal advice. should you require such information, you may want to consider seeking an attorney who deals with these matters.

thread closed.
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
        (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

Working...