Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phishman1
    • Jan 2006

vga.sys - "file is corrupt" when trying to reinstall Windows XP Pro

I have repo'ed a system that my wife and I had originally purchased for her sister. (She couldn't keep making the payments)

Needless to say, this system is more F'ed up than any system I have ever worked on. I'm trying to simply reinstall Windows XP Pro, but keep getting the following error: "vga.sys file is corrupt".

This error is coming up right before the phase of the install where it asks to delete/create partitions. I thought thhat perhaps the install CD was messed up, so I tried a different one. It basically gave me the same error, just with a different file (I think it was usb.sys...).

I'm starting to get the feeling that the CDROM drive either needs it's lens cleaned, or possibly the CDROM drive just needs to be replaced.

Has anyone ever encountered this problem before?

Thanks!
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

Over the last few years I have had several similar errors, a couple of times it was a bad optical drive, also bad stick of ram and even a partially cooked cpu.

Comment

• phishman1
      • Jan 2006

Windows is awesome...

Thanks, dude. That's what I was thinking. Hopefully it's just the optical drive, as I was planning on replacing it anyways.

Much appreciated feedback!

Phishman1

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎