Obscene Language Filter - A+ in my book! :)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • katzdvd
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Feb 2006

Obscene Language Filter - A+ in my book! :)

I thought this would be a good topic to add here. This is not meant to be an "advertisement", for any one product, but a rather an unbiased review of a wonderful technology that exists.

I personally don't put much stock in "canned testimonials" (we've all seen the late night infomercials)! So that is why I felt a personal review would be helpful here...

My family has been using the TV Guardian obscene language filter for approx. one year now; What it does: It works by monitoring the hidden Closed-Caption text and comparing each word against a dictionary of more than 150 offensive words and phrases. It will mute the entire sentence/phrase (usually).

(Note - It does Not work like the *lame* V-Chip technology...)

You can set it to display alternate text, or turn the text function off completely. My suggestion is to turn the text display off - if you leave it on, you are tempted to try to "fill-in" the filtered audio by trying to guess what was said. If you leave it off, the offending part goes by quickly enough that you are on to the next scene & you forget about it.

There are different "filter level" settings; i.e. strict/moderate/religious/more. Our personal experience; the items that it does filter, it does a great job.

However, MANY TV shows are not broadcast in CC, so it does No filtering for them.

Broadcasts such as:
    Live sporting events, pro wrestling, talk shows, many reality shows, news, & some movies (Universal Studios releases are one example.) which are released w/o CC - No filtering.

Also, if a foul word is mispelled, or not in sync w/ the audio, it sometimes will not catch it.

I would say this unit works at about a 70% filter level for catching all of the offending material for the type of viewing that my family engages in.

If the show does have CC, 95 to 100% of the offending content will be filtered. Again, problem is that many shows are not Closed Captioned...

All that being said, I still feel that this unit provides an exceptional service for any family that is trying to "tone down" the "objectionable" material spewing forth from their tv speakers! We are personally happy with it & would buy it again!

Now, if only they made a nudity filter...
  • Kabuchan
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    • Apr 2006

I don't need a filter as much as a 1 minute warning system. I hate watching a new movie, and then all of a sudden they're in bed. You stutter while telling the 3 yr old how fun "wrestling" is. And the 10 yr old is about to puke!
    That was Zen, this is Tao

My Gallery

Comment

• jmet
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2002

Thanks for your review! I am actually looking to get my parents something like this.

Now if they could just make something similar for the video content (nudity, sec scenes) not just the audio.

Comment

• RFBurns
        To Infinity And Byond
        • May 2006

Originally Posted by Kabuchan
        I don't need a filter as much as a 1 minute warning system. I hate watching a new movie, and then all of a sudden they're in bed. You stutter while telling the 3 yr old how fun "wrestling" is. And the 10 yr old is about to puke!
        True. Unless the movie comes from Disney I would expect such sudden surprises in movies these days.....after all, for the last 10 or so years, the entire society has been pushed into more sex, sex, sex. Sexy clothing, sexy this, sexy that, more sex scenes even on broadcast daytime drama programs....the world really turns eh?!!!!! (or is that stomach churns)

I like sex, but I think media and entertainment has gone a bit too far, even commercials are sexual oriented these days! Do you wanna Fanta wanna wanna?!!!

Last edited by RFBurns; 8 Jul 2006, 06:54 AM.

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• katzdvd
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Feb 2006

I only wish I could connect this unit to some of my co-workers...

They definantly need a language filter! lol!

Comment

• volfann
            Digital Video Enthusiast
            Digital Video Enthusiast
            • Jun 2006

The problem with many movies now is they throw in a sex scene for no real reason. It's fine with me if it adds something to the film ,but when you are watching a PG film with your kids and suddenly everyone on film gets naked it makes it very hard to explain to the children what is going on and why.
            sigpic

Rent This Space

Comment

• Kabuchan
              Digital Video Enthusiast
              Digital Video Enthusiast
              • Apr 2006

I think that's why I like the show Monk. It's a detective comedy-drama. Its like Diagnosis Murder but with the police department. Nothing raunchy. Man, I'm getting old!

My Gallery

Comment

• jmet
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2002

Originally Posted by RFBurns
                even commercials are sexual oriented these days!
                Yep, prime example is a the Herbal Essence shampoo commercial.
                Last edited by jmet; 8 Jul 2006, 10:51 AM.

Comment

• Kabuchan
                  Digital Video Enthusiast
                  Digital Video Enthusiast
                  • Apr 2006

How about the Victoria Secret one where she drinks the milk?

My Gallery

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                    Demigod of Digital Video
                    • Nov 2004

any victoria secret commercial!
                    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
                    Columbo moments...
                    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
                    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
                    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• Kabuchan
                      Digital Video Enthusiast
                      Digital Video Enthusiast
                      • Apr 2006

Originally Posted by LT. Columbo
                      any victoria secret commercial!

My Gallery

Comment

• rvader
                        • Jul 2006

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Nuddie filter is bad! I'd set it for the kids and probably forget how to change it back. LOL

Personally, in my experience, if you need a nuddie filter, probably not a program I would want my kids watching anyway. Even if the filter blocked out those parts.

Blocking those programs with say........ a password or fingerprint recognition like I have on my PC would be great. Then there is NO access.

Comment

• Kabuchan
                          Digital Video Enthusiast
                          Digital Video Enthusiast
                          • Apr 2006

How about retinal scan!!!

My Gallery

Comment

• copyless
                            Digital Video Expert
                            Digital Video Expert
                            • Apr 2006

These posts have made me start thinking of the cutting edge and censor breaking shows. Like "Leave it to Beaver" the first show to ever show the bathroom, actually the first episode had to be delayed because it had the bathroom scene and the censors would not allow it, but later did. Or "The Munsters" another we'll never allow this on TV show, which was the very first show to ever show two people in the same bed. If only those were still the bad shows, maybe thats why TVLand is still my favorite channel.

Comment

• rvader
                              • Jul 2006

Originally Posted by Kabuchan
                              How about retinal scan!!!
                              Now you're talkin'! Maybe a bit expensive though.

I'm just happy (for my childrens sake) that we have stricter regulations than there are in Europe. Ever seen some of their ads? And those are on broadcast tv!

Comment

Working...