X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • l8nights
    DD folding team
    • Jun 2005

Originally Posted by BR7
    Yes it is DC I tried what you said but I kept getting FAHcore errors so I thought I would try these installers here but I still get the same FAHcore errors
    some of the older clients are having difficulties using some of the newer cores the link you provided is to 5.02 current is 5.04

I would definately reccomend installing 2 fresh installs, from stanford, into fresh directories.

the 5.04 client has no frills but is nessecary for some of the newer cores and provides a boost to points as well.
    Last edited by l8nights; 10 Aug 2006, 07:14 AM.
    The future doesn't just happen its created through our actions or inactions~ today!

Comment

• l8nights
      DD folding team
      • Jun 2005

Originally Posted by jm1647
      Different projects making the difference?
      precisely I believe core 82 is a tinker core you can tell the difference by whether it say's you are completing steps or frames (?) "frames" indicates it is a tinker core which doesn't utilize sse instructions.
      they have redone the points system so the tinkers are not bad point producers any longer.
      Last edited by l8nights; 10 Aug 2006, 05:02 AM.
      The future doesn't just happen its created through our actions or inactions~ today!

Comment

• jm1647
        An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
        • Apr 2005

@l8nights they are both reporting xxx of xxxx steps. The seps seem to be equal to 1% of the project.

Was it the luck of the draw or did I do a boo boo during the setup? I'm pretty sure I answered everything the same during setup.
        Last edited by jm1647; 10 Aug 2006, 05:31 AM.

Comment

• UncasMS
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2001

different cores (the folding@home projects called cores not the cpus) will result in quite different numbers and speeds

still there is no good explaination why the amd does not make use of SSE where the p3 does

Comment

• l8nights
            DD folding team
            • Jun 2005

of couse a lot of it is luck of the draw. if your machine does indeed support sse instructions (sandra or pcwiz etc will tell you) then I would close ant restart the core that doesn't display "extra __ boost ok"
            if you will notice it will benchmark the machine before getting work, but I've noticed a huge slow down once or twice on a project I knew to be faster, but restarting the client gave me back the sse boost.

here's a link that should better keep you informed when getting new projects>>http://fah-web.stanford.edu/psummary.html
            Last edited by l8nights; 10 Aug 2006, 05:00 AM.

Comment

• UncasMS
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2001

try this parameter:

-forceasm

Instruct the core to use SSE/3DNow assembly instructions if possible, even if it has previously made the determination that the machine may not be handling this well.

Comment

• uufta
                Digital Video Expert
                Digital Video Expert
                • Dec 2005

What will it do to a little Sempron?

Comment

• jm1647
                  • Apr 2005

@l8nights - what module of Sandra tells about the SSE ? I just got the lite version

@UncasMS - how would I do the forceasm thing

Thanks

Comment

• jm1647
                    • Apr 2005

I ran a benchmark test, the AMD 1500+ I got handles W(MMX). EMMX. 3Dnow, extended 3Dnow but no SSE, 2 3, or 4 aahhhh

Comment

• l8nights
                      DD folding team
                      • Jun 2005

for those it mayconcern....
                      The [ -forceasm ] flag (or any)would be applied by right clicking on the shortbut to the console, then adding a space and the above bracketed "flag" and saving. there are other ways but that's teheasiest I've found.

seeing that the one rig doesn't support sse instructions sets then it's of little use on that box.

@uufta there are no unimportant projects. on some machines it maybe nessecary to request deadlineless wu's (projects) so you don't run into troubles
                      Last edited by l8nights; 10 Aug 2006, 07:18 AM.

Comment

• jm1647
                        • Apr 2005

@l8nights - Thanks for the info and the tip!!!
                        Last edited by jm1647; 10 Aug 2006, 12:21 PM.

Comment

• Zero G
                          Next to Arch Stanton
                          • Jan 2006

Just a tip for those new to running dc projects. Make sure all your fans in your pc are cleaned out and that you have good ventilation. Things can get hot, but won't be a problem if you keep your machine in good shape.
                          "Wanted in 14 counties of this state. The condemned is found guilty of the crimes of murder, armed robbery of citizens, state banks and post offices, the theft of sacred objects, arson in a state prison, purgery, bigamy, deserting his wife and children, inciting prostitution, kidnapping, extortion, receiving stolen goods, selling stolen goods, passing counterfeit money, and contrary to the laws of this state, the condemned is guilty of using marked cards...therefore according to the powers vested in us, we sentence the accused here before us Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Ramirez also known as the Rat and any other aliases he may have to hang by the neck until dead."

Comment

• UncasMS
                            Super Moderator
                            • Nov 2001

What will it do to a little Sempron?
                            let's take it the other way around: what will a sempron do to a protein?

give it a go and spare some of your resources, uufta
                            the team could need a little more help and remember it's for a good cause

@UncasMS - how would I do the forceasm thing
                            you could for example create a batch/cmd file, which looks like this:

Code:
                            FAH504-Console.exe -forceasm

- open up notepad or write or any editor of your choice

- type in the name of the folding*.exe file (it is the fah504 beta in my case) and append the parameter -forceasm
                            (or simply copy the line above in case you downloaded the "no-nonsense console version 5.04 beta for windows)

- save this file with to any given name of your choice BUT write CMD as the extension (e.g. folding.cmd) in order to make this file "executable"

- save this file in your folding subfolder or otherwise you will have to write down the entire path of the fah.exe (c:\program files\foldingathome\folding.exe - forceasm - or something similar)

now simply doubleklick this cmd file to run the tool with the parameter -forceasm

++++++++++++++++++

Things can get hot, but won't be a problem if you keep your machine in good shape.
                            the ddigest hardcore shrinkers here hopefully have decent rigs ^_~
                            Last edited by UncasMS; 10 Aug 2006, 06:35 AM.

Comment

• UncasMS
                              Super Moderator
                              • Nov 2001

I ran a benchmark test, the AMD 1500+ I got handles W(MMX). EMMX. 3Dnow, extended 3Dnow but no SSE, 2 3, or 4 aahhhh
                              an xp 1500+ (palomino core that is iirc) should support the sse instruction set

maybe you should really give it a try using the forceasm parameter

Comment

• l8nights
                                DD folding team
                                • Jun 2005

Originally Posted by soup
                                I think that's only when it is being used. I Xd out of the window & checked Windows Task Manager & under applications it is running so I guess it installed successfully.
                                indeed it is you are now on the score board.

http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/m...&teamnum=51205

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎