X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tony soprano
    • Mar 2004

Pioneer DVR-108 can't burn faster than 4x

OK this is an odd problem.

My DVR-108 had the original firmware v1.0. I have been buying Ritek 8x DVD-r's since I had the drive. I could burn the disks up to 8x like I should be able to but always burned at 6x.

So i just bought a batch of Ritek 16x DVD-r's from the same company I have been getting the 8x discs, cause the price was right.

I put it in the drive and it shows the only available speed is 4x.

I use Nero info tool and it shows the fastest supported speed is 4x.

I put the disk in a Pioneer 111D on another PC and use Nero tool again. It shows 12x supported speed.

I check Pioneers site and upgrade to the latest firmware v1.20 on my 108 burner.

It successfully updates and when I check the disc it still shows 4x as the only speed supported.

WTF??

I know the discs are fine but why would the drive be able to write at 8x before and only 4x with these discs?

Even before making any firmware changes.

Any ideas on what could be going on?
  • NightTran
    King of Digital Video
    King of Digital Video
    • Aug 2005

do u have your latest firmware?
    sigpic

Comment

• bill7621
      It could be worse.
      • Jun 2005

I had a 108 that basically did the same thing with Fuji 16x -R's. I also had the latest firmware which was 1.20. What's happening is the Pioneer with the latest (or any) firmware doesn't support the Ritek 16X media. I think the Fuji's were Riteks also. Kind of a shame, but that's the way it is. Try some good Ty's or Verbs, you should be able to burn them at 12X with no problems. I recommend the Ty's. You can find the 8X usually at good priceshere or here, lots of times with free shipping.
      Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed!

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

well pioneer wants you to buy a new drive,

not sure I would want to burn the 16x ritek faster than 4x,
        your previous ritek's were the G05's, one of the worst medias of all times

Comment

• tony soprano
          • Mar 2004

Originally Posted by Chewy
          well pioneer wants you to buy a new drive,

not sure I would want to burn the 16x ritek faster than 4x,
          your previous ritek's were the G05's, one of the worst medias of all times
          That's odd you should say that.

I have burned literally thousands of the G05's and had maybe a .1% failure rate.

They all played fine on a big variety of players.

I usually only burn at 4x-6x anyway. I just don't like not having the ability to even burn at 6x now.

If Pioneer did indeed cripple my drive , I will not be buying anymore of their products.
          Last edited by tony soprano; 10 Aug 2006, 10:42 PM.

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

That's odd you should say that.
            I started scanning mine, saw proof of accelerated degradation over at cdfreaks, researched it quite thoroughly. Even to the point of finding one of my old ritek G05 burns that scanned a 95 after 2 years and starting a thread at cdfreaks about it. The rest of the disks(over 20) were total crap.

Comment

Working...