Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

oversized files with divx5pro - what to do?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • noname
    • May 2002

oversized files with divx5pro - what to do?

hi all,

I am newbie; have been backing up my DVDs lately. have had lots of fun doin it.
    It had happened to me so many times that once you do divx encoding with Divx5.0 pro codec; the final movie size ended up being little bit higher than i would have wanted.
    mostly i aim for 1 CD rip. and file size sometimes go up like 730MB. Just wondering what i can do to reduce the size slightly so that i can fit in single CD.
    1) i tried using VBR audio encoding; to reduce the size. but even then sometimez i need to reduce it even further.
    2) i also tried doin something like; taking off credits section; but again sometimes i need even smaller size.

any other ideas; reducing size without goin thru the "world wide" wait of 12 hours or so

Thanks in anticipation.
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

If you keep getting oversized movie (ie. Bigger than your calculator predicted), then use a smaller bitrate value than that given by the calculator. Use your gut feelings for this. You can also use a larger quantisizer value to lower the filesize further (at the equivalent cost of reduced quality).

Comment

• Erci
      Digital Video Enthusiast
      Digital Video Enthusiast
      • Nov 2001

Are you doing one or two pass? If you do one pass it might be the problem. In that case try to use 2 pass encoding instead. It's more predictable and it gives you a better quality.

//Erci
      DVD Backup Guide

Comment

• noname
        • May 2002

ya i do 2 pass encoding.
        i think; have to use little bit lesser bit rate than the one my calculator gives me.

Have another quesion. say we have bigger file; so to fit it in one CD, i have to reencode it. now how is the REENCODING from this overside divx, VS using flask to start from DVD ripped on the HD?

are there any performance, time and quality differences among these tow options?

thanks guys.

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

I am personally against reencoding encodes. You tend to lose details and hence, quality. You should never reencode your DivX, especially when you still have the VOB files with you. It may be much faster, but I will always choose quality over speed.

Comment

• techno
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Nov 2001

use DIVX 3.11alpha, better quality and low file size using nandub 2pass

Techno

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎