Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stangljm
    • Jan 2006

firmware?

Is it really necessary to update your firmware? Can someone provide me a link explaining what exactly firmware is or explain it themselves? I've had my dvd burner for almost a year, haven't updated any firmware (as far as I know), and haven't run into any problems that the Wizard or, more recently, RipIt4Me hasn't been able to handle. Any thoughts? Mucho thanks in advance!
  • vw56german
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Jun 2005

This might help.

In a nut shell to me, using the most up to date firmware on a burner allows the device to use the most current available discs and can improve the performance of the drive.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
      Demigod of Digital Video
      • Nov 2004

firmware is basicly a library of writing strategies that the drive has for media. being 1 year old it would probably be a good idea to update it as newer media is being made. the point is to get better burns. this is a very basic description. what is your drive model # and current firmware? perhaps you can post a burn log.
      "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
      Columbo moments...
      "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
      "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
      (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• a2j3
        If it aint broke, don't fix it
        • Feb 2006

stangljm
        Open up dvd decrypter and click on tools, drive and then at the bottom click on check for firmware updates. It will tell what version of firmware u currently have and then take u to the firmware page and tell u what the latest firmware is for u. Hope this helps.
        sigpic

Comment

• soup
          Just Trying To Help
          • Nov 2005

Just adding to the above advice.

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=57993.

If you choose to flash, do it from safe mode with no disc in drive.

Comment

• ed klein
            Banned
            • Mar 2004

I would be afraid NOT to update my firmware, either from the factory website or a modified hacked version, would be better than using an OUTDATED firmware version.

Firmware updates typically do the following:

1. Remove existing bugs, and sometimes add new bugs.
            2. Upgrade the optical drive for the use of new DVD media and sometimes increase the speed of existing media.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎