Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justcrwncoke
    • Sep 2006

New Drive Setup shm-165h6s

Lite-ON shm-165h6s04c arrived today from Newegg and I am curious on how I should set this drive. Master, Slave, CS. End of the ribbon cable, middle etc. My second drive is a TOSHIBA CD/DVDW SD-R5372.

I have read that I should not put the Lite-On on the same cable as a hard drive where I pull and send my media files. Would that be a bad decision or more efficient? I have 2 Maxtor sata Drives (200 & 300gig). One for programs and the latter for storage.

If the new drive I have is just for recoding meida, is there a preference or will it just be more of somones choice or opinion.

Suggestions or advice would be welcome as you can tell i'm a "newbie".
    thanks

justcrwncoke
  • jm1647
    An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
    • Apr 2005

I have my HDD's on my primary IDE channel and also on a PCI controller card. I have my DVD devices on the secondary IDE channel. My DVD Rom I rip from is master and my burner is slave. I don't have any problems burning up to 12X speed.

Comment

• justcrwncoke
      • Sep 2006

thanks for the response. Another question if you dont mind. I know the toshiba is an old drive, but what would you use to burn or to rip with my current setup? Lite On or Toshiba. I hope to upgrade from the Toshiba soon.

Comment

• jm1647
        • Apr 2005

The Toshiba might have slow rip and burn times. If the Toshiba rips and burns fast enuff for ya than its ok.
        Fast burn and rip times have been gotten with the 6s series LiteOn drives. Depends on how fast ya wanna rip and burn.

Comment

• justcrwncoke
          • Sep 2006

Its not about time, its about the quality. Thanks for the help. I'll have to post back once I have it up and running.

Comment

• jm1647
            • Apr 2005

Originally Posted by justcrwncoke
            Its not about time, its about the quality. Thanks for the help. I'll have to post back once I have it up and running.
            You could do a Quality Scan with CD\DVD Speed to check the quality of the burns from both. The quality is all related to burner\firmware\media burn speed combinations. Most of the newer burners burn better at higher speeds

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎