• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • photo_angel2004
    Queen of Digital Video
    Queen of Digital Video
    • Jan 2004

What's up with Verbatims?

I was playing around today with testing the quality on some OLD dvd burns.

In most cases I was trying to see how bad the old princco's were.

So I decided to test some old Verbatims that I used When I first learned how to back a dvd up.

The older verbatims are a different color too the old ones are a purple as where the new ones are a blue.

OLD Verbatim:

New verbatim:

Question now is will the old verbatims be good in a few more years?

Are they still a good quality disc or junk like the princo's .

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **
  • NightTran
    King of Digital Video
    King of Digital Video
    • Aug 2005

dec 1969 must be very good ?, almost 37 years?

I dont buy any more new Verb, they are unreliable, old ones are better, just keep all my TY until BR come around
    sigpic

Comment

• photo_angel2004
      Queen of Digital Video
      Queen of Digital Video
      • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by BR7
      They are not good at all I had a batch of Maxells I threw away they were Ritek03's also I kept getting quality scans of 23 to 64
      Thats not what I wanted to hear

When I first started testing my old burns with the princco's I ended up re burning to verbatims and TY, I never bothered until now to even give the OLD verbatims a second look.

I used those verbatims for about 2 years before using the cheap princo discs.

Up until today I was feeling safe as to not having to reburn ALL of my old Burns. but it looks like that may change.

Are there still some verbatims that have this same print code? Or was that they way they were then and not now?

I think I may be done with verbatim and stick with TY.

Comment

• photo_angel2004
        Queen of Digital Video
        Queen of Digital Video
        • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by NightTran

I dont buy any more new Verb, they are unreliable, old ones are better, just keep all my TY until BR come around
        Seems to be the other way around for me, makes me wonder on Verbatims now. When you buy them how do you know ? It seems they are not all the same.

Comment

• nwg
          Left *****
          • Jun 2003

I have never bothered with all these graphs and tests. I all want to know is how well they play in my DVD players. I will only burn a new DVD until one DVD doesn't work (not had one yet). I have +R DVD's from over three years ago that still work perfectly and they were nothing special. Most of my DVD-R's are Ritek G04 4x Ridiscs (burned at 2x).

Comment

• photo_angel2004
            Queen of Digital Video
            Queen of Digital Video
            • Jan 2004

How many different dvd does verbatim make and all called verbatim? But not all are?

These old ones seem to still be playing though. I am hoping they will.

Comment

• NightTran
              King of Digital Video
              King of Digital Video
              • Aug 2005

old one are 8x or lower, new one are 16x ( that is a sure way )
              sigpic

Comment

• photo_angel2004
                Queen of Digital Video
                Queen of Digital Video
                • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by NightTran

I now get what you mean by 37 years, I just noticed that burn has a date of Dec 31 1969, I have no idea how that happened I wasnt even born till 1970 and there were no dvd to burn back then.

Good catch there Night, LOL

So do I have this right now:
                That newer one I have pictures was an 8 X so is anything 8X or higher non ritek?

Same back up ripped from the old verb and burned on the new verb

Last edited by photo_angel2004; 4 Oct 2006, 04:50 AM.

Comment

• Chewy
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2003

I wouldn't bother reripping/reburning anything with a score of 50QS or higher and less than 100,000 pif total

they will play long after you can recover in a computer

Comment

• katzdvd
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Feb 2006

I have never bothered with all these graphs and tests. I all want to know is how well they play in my DVD players. I will only burn a new DVD until one DVD doesn't work (not had one yet).
                    Well, I do believe in scanning to get a "general" idea of the condition of the disc; however, what bothers me is that you can scan/rescan the same disc a dozen times in succession w/ a dozen different results...

plus, I have discs that show a horrible scan, 30s - 40s QS, lots of purple/red in the graph, & as nwg stated, they still all play fine for me...

Don't get me wrong, I still do like the concept of scanning, & I believe it is a valuable tool, but I don't personally feel it is the "tell all/end all" determining factor to a quality burn/disc/burner. I admit, I don't have the experience that some do on here with it, but it is the inconsistancy of the scans on the same disc that bother me.

@ PA, if that 1969 disc has a QS of 93, I wouldn't change a thing! maybe you could teach US a thing or two!!!

cheers, katz

Comment

• Chewy
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2003

I had a Sopranos S1-d1 that had 4 durn episodes on it, was a heck of a compression originally, original was bargain basement purchase well used.

Must have ripped it with shrink on an old pioneer(long gone). Burned the backup to a memorex that failed early. No justice, went and reripped original with dvdfab and my then new lg 4163(almost as good a reader as the old pioneer) burned with new nec 3520 and sony yuden t02. Probably at way to fast a speed(almost 2 years ago) decided to check it the other day.
                      Zeroed out at end of the disk. Spent over an hour recovering that rip, my benq errored out on vob 4 with dvdd set to 4x read speed, the poor old lg set to 1 speed read it.

Comment

• nwg
                        Left *****
                        • Jun 2003

Originally Posted by katzdvd
                        plus, I have discs that show a horrible scan, 30s - 40s QS, lots of purple/red in the graph, & as nwg stated, they still all play fine for me...

cheers, katz

The error correction is probably good in the player you are using. The EC of my Sony's is better than most players around and they play anything and everything I put in them. I have never had a disc fail me yet.

I had some Memorex +RW's. If I formatted/erase with Nero, the disc would report a lot off CRC errors in DVDInfoPro. The disc still played fine and even the files copied onto the hard disk ok. I found out that erasing the disc with anything else made the disc CRC free.

Comment

• BR7
                          He is coming to your little town!
                          • Aug 2005

When I had a QS at 20-60 some would freeze and skip and others played fine on my Pioneer DV-588A-s

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• katzdvd
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            • Feb 2006

The error correction is probably good in the player you are using. The EC of my Sony's is better than most players around and they play anything and everything I put in them.
                            Funny you should mention "Sony", as that is what my player is, & I also can play anything on the Sony PS2 w/o a hitch! But, as you stated, I always attributed it to good error correction; A family member has an old Hitachi, & he uses nothing but garbage media, & he rarely has a problem..sometimes a freeze near the end of a movie, but not very often.

I keep telling him about the virtues of using quality TY & such, but he refuses to use them. I am waiting for his call one day in the future when he tells me that none of his discs will play; & then I will say, Oh Really?!?!

Comment

• nwg
                              Left *****
                              • Jun 2003

Sony players have a thing called Precision drive. They are on the third generation now and it actually tilts the disc in the player to get a more accurate reading of discs with imperfections and even warped discs.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎