X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MutinyFever
    Still a Newbie Tryin ta Learn
    • Sep 2006

Sudden drop in burn speed - device buffer

I'm suddenly getting a drop in burn speed from 4x to about 1.6-1.8x, and my device buffer is flashing between 10% and 100%. There is an accompanying drop in the quality of the discs burned.

I'm using a Sony DVDRW DW-D22A. I'm burning with the latest version of Imgburn. DMA is properly set to DMA if available. Firmware is BFS1. When I look at the drive in My Computer it seems to be identifying it as a CD drive. I'm using Windows XP with Service Pack 2.

Any clue what may have happened?

Thanks.

Michael
  • katzdvd
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Feb 2006

Hi MutinyFever,
    That's a pretty old drive, isn't it? http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=1944 maybe it is giving up from a lot of use?

See this thread - http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=72123 maybe you can revive it like chewy did!

regards, katz

Comment

• MutinyFever
      • Sep 2006

Well, I've used it a lot, but the computer and the drive came as a bundle, and I only bought them about a year ago. I've probably burned 3 or 4 hundred dvds, though.

What is the average lifespan?

Michael

Comment

• Gary D
        King of Digital Video
        King of Digital Video
        • Dec 2005

Try turning off some stuff running in the back ground when burning.

LINK

I find that if I do the following, I do not have the buffer bouncing..
        1. Disconnect from the internet
        2. Turn off the anti virus software
        3. Turn off any unneccesary software
        4. Turn off the internet security, spyware, etc.
        5. Do not touch the keyboard or mouse
        6. Just watch the burn..do not multi-task as it drains RAM
        7. Buy more RAM. Have at least 512MB. Preferrably a 1 GB
        Gary D

Comment

• MutinyFever
          • Sep 2006

Good advice, Gary. I neglected to mention that I tried it after a reboot with antivirus ware off and before connecting to the internet. No multitasking and no touching the keys or mouse, during the burn. No improvement.

I've got 504 mb of RAM but I am figuring that isn't the problem because that is what I've always had.

I blew out the dust bunnies with compressed air, but no improvement was realized. Any other ideas?

Michael

Comment

• ed klein
            Banned
            • Mar 2004

Bad media. Check media with tools like Plextools professional and other media checking tools and see what they say should be the burn speed for a good burn and if the media is any good at all.

I have a high speed burner that won't even ignite on crap media and the crap media only works on slower speed burners at 6X burn rate or less.

Comment

• MutinyFever
              • Sep 2006

Another great idea, but I've been making coasters with legitimate Taiyo Yuden +R TY002. For kicks, I've tried using crappier media, PRINCO and CMC, but all with the same consequences, the device buffer bounces, the burn speed drops to 1.6-1.8x, and there are ten times as many PI Failures as there should be with the media used.

Comment

• NightTran
                Emperor of Digital Video
                Emperor of Digital Video
                • Aug 2005

have you burn with dvd decrypter?
                sigpic

Comment

• Chewy
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2003

the burn speed drops to 1.6-1.8x
                  that's pio mode

there's a quick fix at the top of the page and detailed information in this article

Comment

• MutinyFever
                    • Sep 2006

Chewy... YES! Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!

I knew it. I knew I had read something, I just didn't know how to ask for it. I read that article some time ago, but since the PIO trap hadn't happened to me it didn't stick. Why did the IDE Port Mode still say DMA if available?

Anyway, I got it to reset, and the drive is behaving normally now. Do I need to worry about the drive falling back into PIO mode more often now that it has been knocked down once? Or am I okay?

Did I say thank you enough? Chewy, you da wookie!

Michael

Comment

• da lurker
                      • Oct 2011

a big THANKS CHEWY ... (FROM YOUR'E FUTURE....)

thankyou MutinyFever for posting.....

my feelings exactly:: "Chewy... YES! Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you"

I have SONY DVD+RW-Q58A using image burn. it was taking 2 hours to burn 4.7, verified failed even though the disc seemed good.and.devise buffer was erratic. I burn alot

I deleted avidemux that i installed about the same time. only 7 coasters... this just happened a few days ago so I hadn't gotten too aggressive.

google brought me here

luv fixing things

thanks alot again

sometimes i feel a hostage to computer

Comment

Working...