Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DohboyIBM
    • May 2002

DVD to DivX encoding problem - Playback"skips"

Hello Everyone. I DohboyIBM have problem and hope you all can help me fix it. I recently bought a DVD at my local Best Buy to replace my aging CD-ROM. Last week my friend and me (were both big Star Trek Fans) bought Star Trek The Next Generation Season 2 DVD (season one was sold out). I am planing to encode all the Episodes of Star Trek TNG on my hard-drive so that my friend can keep the DVD's and I keep the copies. I am however have trouble finding the optimal DivX encoding settings. I have read your tutorials on how to encode DVD to DivX and still have problems. I have tried my different setting and still get the same result.

The Problem:
    The DivX 5.01 encoded AVIs when played back are skipping during external fly-bys of the enterprise or any external scene with lots of movement, however internal shots are of the quality I am looking for.

Here is an example:
    tngtest13.avi

The Goal:
    To have all episodes of Star Trek TNG encoded at or near DVD quality using DivX. Each Episode should take no more than space than 250 MB with the average size being 180 - 230 MB.

The Question:
    What is the Best Setting for encoding Star Trek TNG at or near DVD quality?

My Settings:

Hardware
    CPU - Athlon 1000 MHz
    RAM - 256 MB of PC2100 DDR
    HD - 40 GB Western Digital
    VIDEO CARD - GeForce 2 MX 400 64 MB
    DVD-ROM - Liteon 16x

Software
    OS - Window XP Pro
    DVD Decrypter - DVD Decrypter ver3
    MPEG 4 ENCODER - Xmpeg ver 4.5
    Codec - DivX 5.0.1 Pro
    Media Player - DivX Player 2.0 & Windows Media Player 8

DVD Decrypter Output:

Xmpeg Project Settings:

• hacker_on_fire
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Mar 2002

hold on...your going the wrong way about encoding.

take a look at this basic equation:

best quality + low file size = Gknot + DivX3.11

Here's a very good guide that will take you through the steps of encoding with Gknot:

Also i think playback is slow cos DivX5 sucks. But thats just my opinion.

STAR WARS IS COMING
    Last edited by hacker_on_fire; 16 May 2002, 04:39 AM.
    MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

How 2 post questions correctly
    Look here before posting questions

Comment

• khp
      The Other
      • Nov 2001

This looks like a case of messed up ivtc, if you look through a few frames in virtualdub, you can easily see that quite a few frames show some serious interlaceing artifacts, and it looks like every 12'th frame or so has been incorectly deleted.

Hacker is correct in saying that Xmpeg is probably not the best tool for dealing with something like this. Although I don't agree with his comments about divx5.

You might try unchecking 'Reconstruct progressive frames' if the DVD is encoded as 29.97 progressive, something like this is bound to happen.

If you still get interlace artifacts try selecting 'Reconstruct progressive frames' and 'Deinterlace'. I can't help you with what deinterlace settings should be used, I'am quite clueless about NTSC DVD's
      Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
      http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• DohboyIBM
        • May 2002

If you still get interlace artifacts try selecting 'Reconstruct progressive frames' and 'Deinterlace'.
        I tryed this and it worked quite well, However it's still skips during playback. I can't use 29.97 fps and 'Reconstruct progressive frames' and without it the interlaacing is very obvious.

Here is my improved but still jumpy file:tngtest14.avi

Could DivX 5 be causing the jumpy playback?
        Should I go to DivX 3 or DivX 4?

Comment

• khp
          The Other
          • Nov 2001

No this is not caused by divx5, not unless you enabled any of the deinterlace options in divx5, they should always be turned off.

When you look at the file frame by frame in virtualdub it's quite obvious that every 6th frame is duplicate take a look at frames 111-112, 118-119, 123-124. Ofcause when there is dublicate frames there must also be missing frames. I don't know what deinterlace options Xmpeg offers, but you have to change the field order before it reconstructs progressive frames.

But as I said Xmpeg is probably not the best tool for this problem, and I'am not the best person to talk to on this (I have virtually no experience with NTSC DVD's).

You might try using GordianKnot, There are guides for this with divx3/4/5 at www.doom9.org

EDIT: You might try one other thing uncheck 'reconstruct progressive frames' and check 'deinterlace'
          Last edited by khp; 17 May 2002, 03:37 AM.

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

It would be a good idea to use other methods. The one method that Doom9 suggested is at http://www.doom9.org/divx3-guides.htm. This particular set involves the use of DivX 3.11, but it includes a guide on how to properly do Inverse Telecine (IVTC) on 3:2 pulldown material. Most NTSC DVDs that I work on are originally FILM material and so this method has worked very well for me. Worth a try for you.

Comment

• DohboyIBM
              • May 2002

I found out something interesting about the movie when I ran it DVD2AVI. It’s both interlaced and progressive. Here is how it works. When it is an external scene it’s 29.97 FPS type NTSC and Interlaced. When it’s inside scene its 29.97 FPS Type FILM and Progressive. Over all it’s 25 % NTSC and 75 % FILM. I not sure what setting to use in this case in Gordian Knot. Can someone help me?

Comment

• UncasMS
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2001

i wasnt able to take alook at the video as i havent (re) installed divx5 after it messed up my system quite a while ago.

but these words sound VERY much like old flask habbits:
                12'th frame or so has been incorectly deleted.
                framedrops did occur every now and then in 09x versions of flask.
                maybe even some *up2date* derivate like xmpeg still has some problems with certain titles.

i should think, however, that it rather is a matter of the codec and setting in use.

my one and only way of transcoding is NANDUB with MS V2.
                reliability and superb quality is what i'm after and that is excactly what i get out of this combo!

maybe you should test a different transcoder to see if it makes a difference!?

Comment

• DohboyIBM
                  • May 2002

This was last try with Xmpeg. I set the frame rate to 29.97 and deinterlace with Weavy odd. I used divx 5.0.2 and the "Frames are interlace" option in the codec. The outcome was not skiping but it was less clear than before.

Here it is: http://home.earthlink.net/~dohboyibm/tngtest16.avi

Comment

• khp
                    The Other
                    • Nov 2001

Yup, this is definetly the best one yet.
                    Deinterlazing apper to have gone as well as you can expect.

If you look through the file frame by frame, you still got a duplicate frame every 5 frames, look at frames 76-77,81-82,86-87,91-92,96-97.

To get this perfect you will need to preform proper ivtc, with some other program.

Comment

• techno
                      Digital Video Master
                      Digital Video Master
                      • Nov 2001

uncasms:

don't tell me u like divx 5???

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰